myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Trump
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1329, 1330, 1331 ... 1352, 1353, 1354  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Craig. (I started three attempts to answer but felt it was non of my business.

Th add one further point, people are sometimes forced into a position where they feel they have little choice but to vote for what they see as the lesser of two evils. As an example, in our last U.K. election, very many Labour (normal left wing lifetime voters) were faced with a complete takeover of their Labour party by an extreme hard left group led by Corbin who were determined to destroy and reshape the whole of society. That party was soundly rejected and suffered a crushing defeat. Those who had voted Labour all their lives, held their noses and actually voted for the hated Tory opposition.

As many of them explained afterwards, Corbin and his band of hard left zealots were seen by them as actually hating Britain, and all the values it stood for. That w2as too far removed from Labour values and patriotism and love of country. They voted Conservative, however distastefully.

Zealots, never ever learn to face reality.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you GT, and to a lesser extent, Craig. The disparaging comments of several posters here reflect more on their intelligence than that of their targets. In this country we have been faced with awful choices at the last two elections. Trump was elected, in part, not because of some nationwide revolutionary surge, but rather because in the minds of millions, Clinton was worse. The same thing happened at the last election.

I do take issue with the characterization of those opposed to abortion being "zealots" or "obsessive". If one believes that a child in the womb is a human life the it is neither zealotry nor obsessive to oppose the taking of that life, particularly on a whim, or for mere convenience. Same for euthanasia.
capetonian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the government shouldn’t stick their nose in deeply personal decisions.

https://www.facebook.com/scroesel/posts/10156981098477614
mac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
I agree with you GT, and to a lesser extent, Craig. The disparaging comments of several posters here reflect more on their intelligence than that of their targets. In this country we have been faced with awful choices at the last two elections. Trump was elected, in part, not because of some nationwide revolutionary surge, but rather because in the minds of millions, Clinton was worse. The same thing happened at the last election.

I do take issue with the characterization of those opposed to abortion being "zealots" or "obsessive". If one believes that a child in the womb is a human life the it is neither zealotry nor obsessive to oppose the taking of that life, particularly on a whim, or for mere convenience. Same for euthanasia.

It is harder to go a week without rationalization than without sex. It is particularly revealing when people claim that their religion forces them to comtrol women—but are silent on the abuses of priests and the systematic cover-up of their crimes. In this country, since Roe v. Wade, abortion is not a crime. Much of Trump’s behavior was criminal. Only on Fox was anything Clinton did criminal.

Bullshit and spin,
SAS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I fail to understand is how so many who are anti-choice are pro-war and pro death penalty.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me clarify (my own position as well as what I intended to convey) I
don't support abortion. I'm also a fan of religion if it improves your life, and
I am a believer. What I suggested (because Florian asked) was that
I have interacted with some very Religious Right people who's overarching
issue is abortion, and they would vote for the guy who doesn't advocate
for abortion, no matter what that candidate's other issues (or beliefs) might
be. The issue doesn't have to be Abortion, it could be the amount of real
cheese required to call your product cheese (though that's not typical of
Religious Right voters). All those who object to abortion are not obsessive
and I neither said nor implied that (but issues like abortion bring that out
in some people). Personally I think you'd need to live
in that moment to make such a hard decision. I will say that having
children changed my perspective substantially on the matter.

Hopefully that makes my perspective more clear.

-Craig

mrgybe wrote:

Last edited by cgoudie1 on Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging someone's intelligence in this scenario seems to depend on what side of the fence they are on. Some of us were smart enough to recognize that Donald Trump was inherently unfit to be president, and sadly, he ultimately proved it. Anyone, even someone so deeply hated like Hillary Clinton, would have been would have made a better president than a dishonest person like Trump. Of course, Clinton was not able to prove how she would have run the country, but Trump did, and that's why he soundly lost his reelection bid.

I have to agree with Craig, in that some folks will often ignore practical reality and throw everything off the cliff for their one or two driving issues, like abortion and euthanasia. Seemingly one here hates and demeans Joe Biden, a Catholic like he is, just because Biden is willing to recognize a woman's right to freedom of choice over his religion. In my view, that makes Biden a true American that recognizes the separation of church and state in our country.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Criminal or not I must say, I enjoy not having to listen to daily new scandals
associated with the current admin. I think that was a distraction which cost
resources the previous admin could have used to address more important
issues.

-Craig

mac wrote:

It is harder to go a week without rationalization than without sex. It is particularly revealing when people claim that their religion forces them to comtrol women—but are silent on the abuses of priests and the systematic cover-up of their crimes. In this country, since Roe v. Wade, abortion is not a crime. Much of Trump’s behavior was criminal. Only on Fox was anything Clinton did criminal.

Bullshit and spin,
mac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
issues.

-Craig

mac wrote:

Bullshit and spin,

I was raised Catholic, and as a personal matter I avoided any situation that might lead to an unwanted pregnancy. But I am no longer a believer--and if I were, I would have long since fled the Catholic Church. I have two children, one adopted, and I am very happy that her birth mother chose to let us raise her rather than have an abortion. But I draw the line at making the decision for someone else. I also object to the hypocrisy of many religions, particularly the Catholic Church, in opposing sex education and birth control--two effective ways of reducing the number of unwanted pregnancies and abortions.

It is crystal clear that the segment of those who oppose abortion who are zealots, and the segment of undereducated resentful white men who are zealots about white nationalism gave the election to Trump. Helped by constant fake stories about Hillary from the entertainment, not news, network--and big oil and Russian help. I would never align myself with these groups, and that is the problem with the current Republican party. In pursuit of power, they are willing to ignore the overt racism and fascist tendencies of the voters that they want to count on to regain power.

While it is nowhere near all of the Trump voters, the willingness to "choose the lesser of two evils", when it is as patently evil as Trump, is a moral, not just a political, failing.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't particularly disagree with most of your 1st paragraph.

I don't have a lot of objection to your second paragraph (see my opinions
on what made most people vote for Trump in the 1st entry I made). Trump
is in my opinion a symptom of a larger problem.

I try not to sit in judgement of other people. To me that seems a little
…...zealous.

-Craig

mac wrote:
cgoudie1 wrote:
issues.

-Craig

mac wrote:

Bullshit and spin,

I was raised Catholic, and as a personal matter I avoided any situation that might lead to an unwanted pregnancy. But I am no longer a believer--and if I were, I would have long since fled the Catholic Church. I have two children, one adopted, and I am very happy that her birth mother chose to let us raise her rather than have an abortion. But I draw the line at making the decision for someone else. I also object to the hypocrisy of many religions, particularly the Catholic Church, in opposing sex education and birth control--two effective ways of reducing the number of unwanted pregnancies and abortions.

It is crystal clear that the segment of those who oppose abortion who are zealots, and the segment of undereducated resentful white men who are zealots about white nationalism gave the election to Trump. Helped by constant fake stories about Hillary from the entertainment, not news, network--and big oil and Russian help. I would never align myself with these groups, and that is the problem with the current Republican party. In pursuit of power, they are willing to ignore the overt racism and fascist tendencies of the voters that they want to count on to regain power.

While it is nowhere near all of the Trump voters, the willingness to "choose the lesser of two evils", when it is as patently evil as Trump, is a moral, not just a political, failing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1329, 1330, 1331 ... 1352, 1353, 1354  Next
Page 1330 of 1354

Jump to: