myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
230 lbs. sail size to plane
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drake_el_sailor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: 230 lbs. sail size to plane Reply with quote

Okay, first off, wind here is up and down. 12-15 mph is range I’m going to use. I weigh 230 lbs. and considering either new board or newl sail or possibly both. My current board is Kona Hula 264L, so yes more of a beginner board. Sails are cheetah 8.5m and duotone e-pace 7.3m. I was looking at a 9.5m but starting to think a 11m is more practical especially since 12-15mph winds here isn’t as often as I would like. As far as boards something like a 140L freeride board. Prefer something I can still barely uphaul. My main goal is planning. Sail some in panhandle of Florida and some on smoother lakes. Any suggestions? Thanks
akrausz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using the correct Ezzy 490 mast, then it will also work with an Ezzy 9.5, which is probably a good sail to have in Florida at your weight. But not using a carbon mast and carbon boom and a big fin with a jumbo sail will sacrifice some planing ability and overall performance. You need the right hardware to make it worth it, in my opinion.

I recommend you never rig with more than medium downhaul. Somewhere closer to the light-wind setting will be your medium wind baseline. Then adjust the outhaul so the sail doesn't drape over the boom. You can tighten the outhaul more, but at least a couple inches of the sail should always touch the boom when powered up. An adjustable outhaul will get you planing earlier too, since you can really bag out the sail temporarily until you get going.

Once your Cheetah is rigged correctly for light wind, then increasing your skills will get you planing earlier too. Plenty of instructional information out there, here is one article:

https://www.windsurf.co.uk/peter-hart-big-men-small-problems/

As far as board, the wider the board/tail, generally the quicker planing. An acquaintance of mine in Bradenton has a 90-ish cm freerace-type board for $300. But something less racey, with more footstrap placement options may be better while progressing.

So I would carefully research everything before committing to the jumbo sail. I don't foil, but I'm sure someone will chime in and recommend you switch to foiling when the wind is too light to plane with an 8.5.

Last edited by akrausz on Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Drake_el_sailor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my mast is 490 and full carbon. 11m is a huge jump so definitely got me thinking. Great advice especially on the adjustable outhaul, I have never even considered it. Also think I am down hauling to much. My aim was to get battens away from mast just enough to be able rotate, however it makes even my bottom section loose if not careful. Great advice, I really appreciate it
combs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should really consider getting a foil set up. I am 210lbs and have a 130 liter foil board that I can get going with a 5.5 in 15mph...just sayin.
combs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should really consider getting a foil set up. I am 210lbs and have a 130 liter foil board that I can get going with a 5.5 in 15mph...just sayin.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also recommend a 9.5. Bigger sails don't buy you anything more in
planning ability, just get you better angles on and off the wind. 9.5 is about
as big as you can go before the lift/drag is overcome by drag. I use that sail on an Angulo Sumo 155. With the proper plumping technique, it's good
for me in 11-15. I'd guess it's your only hope for your wind range, unless
you want to foil.

Two things you should know about my advise. 1st I only weight about
185 lbs, second I haven't been on my light wind gear in about 5 years
now.

-Craig

Drake_el_sailor wrote:
Yes, my mast is 490 and full carbon. 11m is a huge jump so definitely got me thinking. Great advice especially on the adjustable outhaul, I have never even considered it. Also think I am down hauling to much. My aim was to get battens away from mast just enough to be able rotate, however it makes even my bottom section loose if not careful. Great advice, I really appreciate it
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with akrausz about the need for a carbon boom, and in particular, a suitable large fin (50-56cm range). A large sail simply won't perform well without a large fin to provide the balance and drive needed.

Regarding a new board, given your weight, you might want to consider a bit more volume, like up to 165 liters. You might look at the JP Australia Super Lightwind, and it's compatible with a foil should you want to pursue that direction. Also, there are earlier versions of this board that you might be able to pick up used. Overall, it's a light weight high performance shape that you will be able to excel on long into the future.
leto

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 12knots learn to kite. Windsurfing suck in this wind range given your weight.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, what Steve says here. A big sail, needs a big fin to get planning
early. I've got a pretty vertical 55cm fin for really light wind. A board
with a wide tail is ideal so that you can get enough leverage, i.e. getting
far enough away from the centerline so that your board doesn't try to
flip over once it planes up, but a 230lb guy can really counteract that.
I agree with Steve about the bigger volume too (if you can find it),
but it needs to be really light also, if you want the ultimate in early
planning.

-Craig

swchandler wrote:
I have to agree with akrausz about the need for a carbon boom, and in particular, a suitable large fin (50-56cm range). A large sail simply won't perform well without a large fin to provide the balance and drive needed.

Regarding a new board, given your weight, you might want to consider a bit more volume, like up to 165 liters. You might look at the JP Australia Super Lightwind, and it's compatible with a foil should you want to pursue that direction. Also, there are earlier versions of this board that you might be able to pick up used. Overall, it's a light weight high performance shape that you will be able to excel on long into the future.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not bad advise either, except...………. if the wind is unsteady. Steady
12 knots (~14 MPH) Kiting definitely works great, but if its 8-16 MPH
and averaging 12 MPH, you'll be much happier on a windsurfer, even if
you're a really proficient kite pumper.

-Craig

leto wrote:
In 12knots learn to kite. Windsurfing suck in this wind range given your weight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: