myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services
 
Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
230 lbs. sail size to plane
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ss59



Joined: 10 Nov 2016
Posts: 104

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some unusual advice here. Reading between the lines of the OP's post I would assume they are a beginner-early intermediate. Boards like a JP SLW is a specialist tool aimed at experienced sailors with outboard footstraps and a very fragile construction - not a good board for anyone who catapults. Bagging sails out and reducing downhaul is just bad (outdated) advice, that will actually do the opposite of what is suggested. At this level, a carbon boom is a luxury but will make no difference. If the OP is likely to drop the sail, and I assume they would, anything above around a 9.5 is just too big and makes learning anything harder.

It is far, far more effective to learn the skills than it is to try and buy a solution.

My advice, stick with the 8.5 (properly downhauled and outhauled) and look for a 'planer trainer' board of around 160 litres. Learn how to sail fast when off the plane, then pick days that are 15mph+ to get planing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swchandler



Joined: 08 Nov 1993
Posts: 10428

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An aluminum boom for a heavier guy using larger sails is a joke. Speaking for myself, I would not waste my time with an aluminum boom of any size. A carbon boom is a far superior product that will serve you well for years, and no worries with salt water corrosion and noddly performance. In my view, it's an investment and money well spent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dhmark



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Posts: 376

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

520 mast, 10+meter sail, carbon boom, very costly setup for maybe 2 knots gain. More than what a foil cost. Get the foil, learn the new thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
grantmac017



Joined: 04 Aug 2016
Posts: 946

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 200+ and the carbon boom advice is good, aluminum is a noodle at that length. You can probably get a used formula boom for fairly cheap. Possibly an older formula board too.
Definitely don't need or want a sail bigger than 9.5 and the advice to look at a foil is very good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Drake_el_sailor



Joined: 15 Jun 2021
Posts: 6

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn’t believe all the inputs, seriously thanks to all. Only foil I ever been on was a air chair and first few rides were like a bucking bronco. Can’t imagine on a foil board, but always willing to try. Think for now I will do as one said and use my 8.5 and improve technique and hope for a windy day. A pro mentioned a good freeride board around 140 -160 L. Never gave recommendations. Thanks again for all the advice, feel free to add anything related
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
akrausz



Joined: 19 Sep 2008
Posts: 158
Location: FL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ss59 wrote:
Bagging sails out and reducing downhaul is just bad (outdated) advice, that will actually do the opposite of what is suggested.

I don't think so, but I suppose it's possible that David Ezzy's recommended setting for light wind is inferior to yours.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
akrausz



Joined: 19 Sep 2008
Posts: 158
Location: FL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drake_el_sailor wrote:
A pro mentioned a good freeride board around 140 -160 L. Never gave recommendations.

As far as new, the Starboard Carve comes to mind, but it's quite short, so it depends on your skills. I wouldn't want Powerbox in that size, because the big fins for light wind are going to be Tuttle or Deep Tuttle.


Last edited by akrausz on Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:25 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ss59



Joined: 10 Nov 2016
Posts: 104

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

akrausz wrote:
ss59 wrote:
Bagging sails out and reducing downhaul is just bad (outdated) advice, that will actually do the opposite of what is suggested.

I don't think so, but I suppose it's possible that David Ezzy's recommended setting for light wind is inferior to yours.


Well if David Ezzy recommends 'bagging out' a sail his recommendation is inferior to mine, and every other competent windsurfer. That said, I am fairly sure David Ezzy recommends a difference of something like 40mm between maximum and minimum downhaul settings (to manage the amount of leech twist) - that is a long, long way from "bagging out" a sail. Bagging a sail with a lack of downhaul, causing the battens to rotate too far around the mast and create a knuckle and/or lack of outhaul causing a sail to drape over a boom. A bagged-out sail doesn't twist and breathe, lacks control and lift, drives the board into the water. Advice like "bagging out a sail" to increase low-end performance may have been correct in the mid '90s, but for current sails it is just plain wrong.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
akrausz



Joined: 19 Sep 2008
Posts: 158
Location: FL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ss59 wrote:
Well if David Ezzy recommends 'bagging out' a sail his recommendation is inferior to mine, and every other competent windsurfer. That said, I am fairly sure David Ezzy recommends a difference of something like 40mm between maximum and minimum downhaul settings (to manage the amount of leech twist) - that is a long, long way from "bagging out" a sail. Bagging a sail with a lack of downhaul, causing the battens to rotate too far around the mast and create a knuckle and/or lack of outhaul causing a sail to drape over a boom. A bagged-out sail doesn't twist and breathe, lacks control and lift, drives the board into the water. Advice like "bagging out a sail" to increase low-end performance may have been correct in the mid '90s, but for current sails it is just plain wrong.

I won't use those two words any more. The advice was to use an adjustable outhaul and the manufacturer's recommendation (not beyond) for light wind sailing and maximum power. A 230-pound man trying to plane in Florida has to do things differently than a 175-pounder. I've been a heavyweight sailing in Florida with Ezzy sails for decades, and I set the sail for light wind more often than not. I feel Ezzy's require plenty of pulling on strings to get optimal performance over the whole range. Rigged full works for me when the wind is consistent. I choose an 8.5 rigged full over a 9.5 with full downhaul, but that's just a personal preference.


Last edited by akrausz on Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
coachg



Joined: 10 Sep 2000
Posts: 3367

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ss59,
"Bagging out" a sail to me is also letting out the outhaul, not the downhaul.

Coachg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum

myiW | Weather | Community | Membership | Support | Log in
like us on facebook
© Copyright 1999-2007 WeatherFlow, Inc Contact Us Ad Marketplace

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group