myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fin Dilemma
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uchida

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
When you don't do your homework, how can you expect high grades?
Your ignorance is your bliss.....or curse as you will have it.
uchida

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee, I'm not sure what you are trying to get at.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

multi fins are just more bling for the avg joe.

single purpose for multi fins? steeper/faster breaking waves.

here, in humble florida surf sailing, mostly don't need them. for flat water, a waste.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
westender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have a dilemma. "A situation in which a difficult choice has to be made between two or more alternatives, especially equally undesirable ones." If you don't have special needs, one good fin is hard to beat. Not a fan 2 or 4 fins for the sailing I do. YMMV??
rigatoni

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both a single fin and a tri-fin thruster. The single fin is the larger older board and the tri-fin is the smaller newer board. I enjoy sailing both but the tri fin seems a lot more controllable in the chop. Maybe you sacrifice some speed and upwind performance but not that much.

When it comes time to replace the older board, I will probably go with a tri-fin thruster set up. Most of those boards now come with inserts so you can sail in a single fin configuration.

I wouldn't stress about the choice too much. You will probably be happy either way.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they identical in every other way? If so, they're both apples. If not, one's an apple, the other's a kumquat, and everybody knows that kumquats jibe better.

I compared five multifinned Gorge boards head to head to head to head to head one fantastic day in the Gorge. All five were touted as the state of the art in multifinned boards. They each sailed very differently, and one outperformed the other four by two country miles, even after I removed its side fins, even when pushed far harder than Uchida says he does.

It's not important what any of those particular boards were. None are still available, all are dogs compared to today's top boards, and any outstanding single-finned board built since the mid-90s will run rings around them. I've also sailed some current multifinned boards, and FAR prefer carefully chosen old single-finned boards. Even my very best multifinned wave boards are only as good as, not better than, many carefully chosen boards 20 years older in anything LIKE the sailing Uchida describes.

It's also important to realize that singles and tris behave similarly to each other, while twos and quads behave similarly to each other yet very differently from 1s and 3s, according to several sources I trust. Apparently, whether there's a center fin makes a dramatic difference in how they are to be sailed and what they will do. Crossing the boundary from 1 or 3 to 4 (or 2) requires very different techniques.

rigatoni wrote:
the tri fin seems a lot more controllable in the chop.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurf magazine always has a nice informative review of the latest FSW boards. For you reading pleasure: https://www.windsurf.co.uk/2021-105-litre-crossover-board-test/

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: