myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is all colored monofilm a laminate?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhmark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Is all colored monofilm a laminate? Reply with quote

Does anybody know if all colored monofilm is actually a laminate of 2 layers with tint and adhesive between the layers? From reading Loft website I am getting that idea. Goya is calling their sail material that is 2 layers of monofilm without any color or fibers "bi-ply." I understand that any laminated product has improved UV protection due to the adhesive used to bond the layers, and also more resistance to creasing. I like my Goya sail that has a fair amount of monofilm (Nexus), but it is very difficult to rig without creasing because it has a lot of luff curve, so sail is very creased until I can downhaul the sail.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Is all colored monofilm a laminate? Reply with quote

I strongly doubt it. I have had colored monofilm panels break, and there was no indication of 2 layers.

I understand the argument that the two layers with UV protecting glue should increase the life of panels. However, I'm not sure this always applies. I have had a set of 4 sails where 2 were HD (x-ply) and two were standard monofilm. The sails all gave up eventually due to age and useage, with multiple panels going in rapid succession. There was no big difference between the HD and the normal sails.

The creasing issue is a bigger thing. Monofilm definitely creases a lot more than 2-layer stuff, and the big panels will typically breaks at the creases first. Some sails are much easier to rig with minimal creasing than others - it depends a lot on what material was used at the mast, and how wide it is. One thing that minimizes creases is to never put a sail onto the ground while rigging before you have the boom, or at least some downhaul, on.
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boardsurfr,

How do you put downhaul on and/or a boom on without having the sail on the ground?
dhmark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The luff curve on the Goya Nexus is so extreme that before you have started threading the downhaul the pulley is really far from the extension and the main monofilm panels are really scrunched up at the boom opening. I have the Duotone ratchet extension with loop and go, so I am able to thread the downhaul very quickly and put some initial downhaul tension without putting the sail fully on the ground, but the amount of creasing that occurs is still distressing, much more than any other sail I have owned. I've put some layers of packing tape over those areas to try to protect the sail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: