myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Got cataracts?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
As of today, my vision in both eyes tests better than it's ever been in my life. That's worth needing readers for closeup work.

What +x.xx for those it is going to be?
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had cataract surgery done on both eyes in August. I had no idea that I had cataracts until I had a stroke in the optic nerve in my left eye in May leaving me partially blind in that eye (no focus vision). That's when I suddenly realized that my right eye was being greatly affected by a cataract. Seemingly, my left eye was the dominant one, and it effectively masked the cataract problem in my right eye. After the stroke I found that my prescription glasses were suddenly worthless, and they did not correct the new found blurriness in that eye.

After surgery, like isobars, my vision went from everything being amber tinted to very bright. It's something you discover after having your first eye done, and it's quite significant. I had no idea that my vision was so impaired by the cataracts in that way. It was like a transparent vail being lifted.

Regarding the replacement lenses, you have the choice of going with standard lenses or ones customized to correct for your vision problems. With the former choice, you must still wear prescription glasses that correct for your vision abnormalities.

I should pointed out that Medicare will only cover the costs of the standard lenses. The cost for custom lenses is fairly significant. I'm not sure whether the cost that I was quoted was for one or both eyes, but it was an added $800.

While some here preferred the customized lenses allowing them to abandon wearing glasses for astigmatism, or near or far sightedness, many must still rely on reading glasses to see up close. That fact leaves on with another choice. Do you want to constantly be taking on and off reading glasses everywhere you go or just simply wear bifocals or progressive lenses all the time? I guess if your vision is so bad without glasses, the choice of fiddling around with reading glasses might be the best one, particularly for activities like windsurfing or other action sports. For me, I just continued with wearing bifocals. It wasn't the added cost factor with customized lenses that factored in my choice. The idea of fiddling around all the time with reading glasses just isn't my cup of tea.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're guessing about 2.0 or 2.5. I'm experimenting, and want some more powerful ones anyway for close-up detailed work. So far I'm surprised how close my new wide-range implants work. I don't need readers for desktop computer work, will apparently need them only for reading printed text.

A HUGE breakthrough is wearing sunglasses outdoors, driving, etc. WHAT A DIFFERENCE in eye comfort. For the past 73 years, especially since "graduating" to bifocals and trifocals, sunglasses have never been worth the effort ... just too danged much hassle juggling and forgetting and temporarily losing and constantly cleaning several pairs of glasses. Now it's a pair of readers on my nose Chuck Schumer style, in a shirt pocket, or wherever I read text, plus a pair of sunglasses in each vehicle. (My WSing helmet has its own NFL-type upper face shield with high-end optics.)

Ugly_Bird wrote:
isobars wrote:
As of today, my vision in both eyes tests better than it's ever been in my life. That's worth needing readers for closeup work.

What +x.xx for those it is going to be?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: