myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nutty California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167 ... 203, 204, 205  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg said:
Quote:
You continue to hold CA up to North Carolina standards of what is nutty; it doesn’t work. For example, buying your 10-year-old son an AR 15 & a Confederate flag may appear to be normal in North Carolina, but in CA that would be considered nutty. Get the point?

Interesting creativity (BS), but it doesn't hold water.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't nutty--it's just corrupt and dangerous. And oh so North Carolina.

Quote:
The Drinking Water Crisis That North Carolina Ignored
For decades, DuPont dumped toxic PFAS into North Carolina’s Cape Fear River. Today, the local community is suffering the health consequences—and fighting back.
June 07, 2021 Nicole Greenfield
When the Wilmington, North Carolina, StarNews broke a story in 2017 about the rampant contamination of the region’s drinking water supply by a chemical called GenX, Tom Kennedy had just finished four months of chemotherapy for his stage 2 breast cancer. During the radiation treatment that followed, Kennedy, then 45, learned that the cancer had metastasized to his brain, newly classifying him as a stage 4 terminal patient with 6 to 12 months to live. Four years later, with some 60 rounds of chemotherapy under his belt, he’s still going strong.

But also four years later, the Cape Fear River watershed—which supplies drinking water for Kennedy’s family and around 350,000 other North Carolinians—remains contaminated with the perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) that DuPont, and its spin-off, Chemours, dumped into the river for more than four decades.

“I don’t know if it can ever be proven,” Kennedy says, “but I’m pretty certain that the PFAS contamination is what led to my cancer.”

Of course we could always talk about the gerrymandering that targeted black voters with surgical precision.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
We will see how this one plays out...

Quote:
Single-Payer Healthcare Makes a California Comeback
Sacramento Democrats are back, this time with huge tax increases.
By The Editorial Board - WSJ

Jan. 10, 2022 6:40 pm ET

In case you think falling popularity has Democrats questioning their progressive agenda, guess again. California Democrats are busy reviving government-run, single-payer health care, despite its failure in the state five years ago.

Gov. Gavin Newsom campaigned on single-payer in 2018, and it passed the state Senate in 2017. But it collapsed in the more conservative Assembly because it didn’t include funding to pay for its estimated $400 billion annual cost. It also would have required Medicare and Medicaid waivers from the Trump Health and Human Services Department. Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon called the bill “woefully incomplete.”

Now progressives are completing it with gargantuan tax increases. Their revived legislation would replace Medicare, Medicaid and private health insurance with a state-run system and eliminate co-pays, deductibles and premiums. Californians would also be entitled to an expansive list of benefits including vision, dental, hearing and long-term care.

A board of bureaucrats would control costs—i.e., ration care. Deliberations about rationing decisions would be concealed from the public. The legislation “imposes a limitation on the public’s right of access to the meetings of public bodies” in order to “protect private, confidential, and proprietary information.” While Californians would technically be entitled to a “free” knee replacement, they might not get one if bureaucrats consider them too old—but the state won’t let people know that’s the reason.

The bill would also effectively ban private insurance for benefits covered by the state—basically everything besides cosmetic surgery. Arizona could soon become a hot destination for medical tourism.

While the state would still need waivers from HHS, this shouldn’t be an obstacle since Biden HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra supported single-payer when he was in Congress. As for the tax increases, read on and marvel.

• Start with a 2.3% excise tax on business with more than $2 million in annual gross receipts for what the legislation calls “the privilege of doing business in this state.” This gross receipts tax, which would apply to revenues rather than profits, would punish low-margin businesses large and small. Many will take their privilege elsewhere.

• Employers with 50 or more workers would also pay a 1.25% payroll tax, which would be passed onto workers. Workers earning more than $49,900 would pay an additional 1% payroll tax. These taxes would raise the effective income tax on wage earners making more than $61,213 to 11.55%—more than millionaires pay in every state but New York.

• An additional progressive surtax would start at 0.5% on income over $149,509 and rise to 2.5% at $2,484,121. Couples making more than $299,509 would pay a top rate of 12.55%. The top marginal rate would rise to 15.8% on unearned income, including capital gains, and 18.05% on wage income.

This surtax would apply “as if the resident were a resident of this state for the entire taxable year,” which suggests that part-time residents would be soaked even if they spend most of the year in Florida or Texas. Welcome to Hotel California.

While the California constitution requires two-thirds of the Legislature to raise taxes, the bill says a simple majority may raise tax rates if necessary to fund single-payer. Democrats have a comfortable super-majority, holding 75% of seats in the state Assembly and 78% in the state Senate.

This year’s new legislative maps are expected to give Democrats three more solid seats in the Assembly, the chamber where they struggled to round up votes for single-payer five years ago. With their supermajority more firmly entrenched, Assembly Democrats may be less worried about a voter revolt this November if they pass the bill. The tax increases would still have to be approved by voters since they would override the state constitutional’s spending limit. Yet progressives seem to think voters are in the mood to pay higher taxes.

Democratic voters rejected single-payer when they nominated Joe Biden in 2020, and Build Back Better may be faltering. But progressives won’t rest until they put government in charge of your medical choices.

Well, this is how it played out:

Quote:
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- California Democrats on Monday failed to gather enough support to advance a government-funded universal health care system, succumbing to intense pressure from business groups and the insurance industry in an election year.

The bill had to pass by midnight on Monday to have a chance at becoming law this year. But it never came up for a vote after its Democratic author, Assemblymember Ash Kalra, realized it would not pass.

Of course, after years of careful study, the Republican health care reform plan is—-give tax cuts to corporations and the rich.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
"No -Stress" ..you're kidding right? I have elderly clients who have held Exxon for decades. Last Summer when oil went negative, and Exxon faced a legitimate dilemma about reducing the dividend, the stock touched the twenties. I would not describe that as "no-stress", anything but, sir. But, keep up the clueless commentary, its been over a decade now.

Boggsy, I will remain civil, despite your continued rudeness. People who understand the global oil and gas business know that it goes in cycles, always has. Your citation of oil prices going negative for a few hours as a factor in a long term investment strategy, demonstrates that you don't. It was obvious to anyone who actually understands the business, that prices would bounce back. It was also extremely likely that XOM would do everything they could to maintain the dividend, since they have cited their dividend record for decades. Uninformed investors and their equally uninformed advisors, may have been stressed, I was not in the least because I know what is going on.

Buying XOM in the low 30's, with a 9% plus dividend yield made abundant sense as a long term investment for my grandkids. I believe it was oversold vs CVX which I own in my portfolio. Owning stocks that you understand also makes abundant sense. You characterize that as "couldn't be more wrong" and "clueless". Those silly remarks illustrate how important it is to get an investment advisor who has broad experience.

Boggsy, Apparently even those who are clueless and wrong for a decade can get it right occasionally. XOM $80+ today.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are desperate to take a victory lap and you can’t find the Exxon thread…

Sneer on dude.
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The joys of living in California: From the WSJ -

Quote:
When the Regulatory State Reaches Too Far

I learned firsthand that unchecked authority is an invitation to abuse of power.
Feb. 6, 2022 12:25 pm ET

In “Two Supreme Court Cases to Watch” (Review & Outlook, Jan. 26), the Journal discusses abuses by the administrative state. My own case, Lent v. the California Coastal Commission, recently submitted to the U.S. Supreme Court, illustrates how dangerous these abuses can be.

After my wife and I purchased a beachfront property in the California coastal zone, we found ourselves targeted by the CCC. The house had an easement on five feet of private property for a potential, but never developed, beach access. A safety gate and staircase, built over 20 years prior to our ownership, intruded into the easement. For our alleged “crime” of failing to remove these structures, which we argue were legally built, we were brought before a perfunctory hearing of the CCC. At that hearing we were denied due process and received a $4.2 million fine, more than the entire equity in the home. This would destroy a lifetime of work.

The CCC’s sovereignty extends over all property owners in a swath of California that includes 15 counties and 61 cities. Our situation stems from the California Legislature’s 2015 decision to grant the CCC the power to impose these extreme fines without judicial oversight—a sure invitation to abuse of power. The commission has been empowered to act as its own prosecutor, judge, jury, executioner and beneficiary.

We are represented by the Pacific Legal Foundation, a nonprofit organization that helps people who are faced with abusive government. Without its assistance, we would simply have had to turn over our keys to the CCC. We pray the Supreme Court takes our case to prevent other government bodies from using California’s example as a road map to gut basic liberties enshrined in the Constitution.

Warren M. Lent

Los Angeles
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, but weak try to dodge nutty Senate Bill 9

Quote:
AG: Bay Area town not exempt from state housing law
By ASSOCIATED PRESS |
PUBLISHED: February 6, 2022 at 2:06 p.m. | UPDATED: February 6, 2022 at 2:13 p.m.

Attorney General Rob Bonta. (Doug Duran/Bay Area News Group File)
A Bay Area town’s plan to declare itself a mountain lion sanctuary as a way to avoid having to build affordable housing is against the law, the state attorney general said Sunday.

The wealthy Silicon Valley enclave of Woodside announced in a memorandum last week that it was exempt from a new state housing law that allows for duplex development on single-family lots because the entire town is habitat for endangered cougars.

Woodside’s declaration is a “deliberate and transparent attempt” to avoid complying with Senate Bill 9, which was enacted last year, Attorney General Rob Bonta said in a letter to officials in the town of 5,500 residents. SB 9 seeks to increase housing availability by allowing denser development.

https://www.marinij.com/2022/02/06/ag-california-town-not-exempt-from-state-housing-law/
mac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, there is more to the story than either Techno or the WSJ admit:

Quote:
BY DAN WEIKEL
DEC. 9, 2016 3 AM PT
For decades, some Malibu property owners have made it hard for the public to reach public beaches.

On Thursday, the California Coastal Commission fined two of those property owners more than $5.1 million for denying surfers, sand castle builders, kite flyers, sun bathers, yoga enthusiasts and other beachgoers access to the sand that is theirs by state law.

In one of those decisions, the commission had battled for nine years with Dr. Warren M. Lent and his wife, Henny, before unanimously approving Thursday’s cease-and-desist order for the couple and fining them about $4.2 million for diverting a public easement to private use at an expensive oceanfront rental they own at Las Flores Beach.

Commissioners described the Lent case as “very egregious” and a “flagrant violation” of state law because the couple had long refused a commission request to remove an unauthorized gate, fence, stairway and deck that blocked an easement required by a coastal development permit issued to a previous owner. The fine was far more than the $950,000 recommended by the agency’s staff.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
mrgybe wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
"No -Stress" ..you're kidding right? I have elderly clients who have held Exxon for decades. Last Summer when oil went negative, and Exxon faced a legitimate dilemma about reducing the dividend, the stock touched the twenties. I would not describe that as "no-stress", anything but, sir. But, keep up the clueless commentary, its been over a decade now.

Boggsy, I will remain civil, despite your continued rudeness. People who understand the global oil and gas business know that it goes in cycles, always has. Your citation of oil prices going negative for a few hours as a factor in a long term investment strategy, demonstrates that you don't. It was obvious to anyone who actually understands the business, that prices would bounce back. It was also extremely likely that XOM would do everything they could to maintain the dividend, since they have cited their dividend record for decades. Uninformed investors and their equally uninformed advisors, may have been stressed, I was not in the least because I know what is going on.

Buying XOM in the low 30's, with a 9% plus dividend yield made abundant sense as a long term investment for my grandkids. I believe it was oversold vs CVX which I own in my portfolio. Owning stocks that you understand also makes abundant sense. You characterize that as "couldn't be more wrong" and "clueless". Those silly remarks illustrate how important it is to get an investment advisor who has broad experience.

Boggsy, Apparently even those who are clueless and wrong for a decade can get it right occasionally. XOM $80+ today.

Yes...the oils are raging. The CEO's are thrilled, but the righty "clueless" politicians are not. I guess there's a sweet spot for domestic production and it sits around 8mm/bbls/day. So, hopefully no more "drill, drill, drill" ...
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Nice, but weak try to dodge nutty Senate Bill 9

Quote:
AG: Bay Area town not exempt from state housing law
By ASSOCIATED PRESS |
PUBLISHED: February 6, 2022 at 2:06 p.m. | UPDATED: February 6, 2022 at 2:13 p.m.

Attorney General Rob Bonta. (Doug Duran/Bay Area News Group File)
A Bay Area town’s plan to declare itself a mountain lion sanctuary as a way to avoid having to build affordable housing is against the law, the state attorney general said Sunday.

The wealthy Silicon Valley enclave of Woodside announced in a memorandum last week that it was exempt from a new state housing law that allows for duplex development on single-family lots because the entire town is habitat for endangered cougars.

Woodside’s declaration is a “deliberate and transparent attempt” to avoid complying with Senate Bill 9, which was enacted last year, Attorney General Rob Bonta said in a letter to officials in the town of 5,500 residents. SB 9 seeks to increase housing availability by allowing denser development.

https://www.marinij.com/2022/02/06/ag-california-town-not-exempt-from-state-housing-law/

Woodside is a town with some of the wealthiest people in the world. Its not surprising they are pulling out all options to keep the common folk out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 165, 166, 167 ... 203, 204, 205  Next
Page 166 of 205

Jump to: