myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Climate Change
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 192, 193, 194  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno you realize we are in the infancy of battery power and things are really going quite smoothly. We are just a few years away from 900 miles per charge. Not only that but using different elements than cobalt and lithium. There is an explosion occurring and the technological tidal wave is just beginning. Do your research.

Do not relay on “The No trickery zone” as a source for information.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw my 1st battery powered vehicle (a dune buggy) back in 1978. It was
the senior project of one of my graduating class from the college of
Engineering at the University of Utah. 15 minutes run time with a top
speed of about 30 MPH. Clever these Electrical Engineers.

-Craig

J64TWB wrote:
Techno you realize we are in the infancy of battery power and things are really going quite smoothly. We are just a few years away from 900 miles per charge. Not only that but using different elements than cobalt and lithium. There is an explosion occurring and the technological tidal wave is just beginning. Do your research.

techno900

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J64TWB wrote:

If we are only a few years away from such battery technology, anyone buying an electric car today must be very gullible, really stupid or very wealthy.
wsurfer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
J64TWB wrote:

If we are only a few years away from such battery technology, anyone buying an electric car today must be very gullible, really stupid or very wealthy.

You forgot very trendy!
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now there you have a point. The first generation Prius had 41 mpg. Now they are at 58. When you add 1/2 Ev to the hybrid they can be 78.

Are you saying we should stop technology? It‘s very possible you still own a plasma tv. I typically stay away from 1st generation stuff but at some point we all get burned with a better mousetrap.

There is no re- tooling going to happen with Trumps idea of nixing mileage standards. No company on earth is going to go backwards and invest billions to reduce efficiency.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where have I heard Iso & Techno’s arguments before? Hmmmm.

Oh, I remember now, it was with cell phones. Iso’s rant went something like this if I recall.

“Those dang phones are too big. The batteries take 15 hours to charge & last less than an hour. And coverage is horrible. They only work in cities. If I can’t call grandma from the boondocks while eating my sandwich outside some useless lake that wants me to pay to enter, what use is the phone. I won’t ever own one of those dang things.

Iso”

I have to ask,
Techno, do you still not own a cell phone?

Coachg
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
My issue with electric cars/trucks is that the push to go electric seems too aggressive given all the current and potential issues. I have a good friend with a Tesla model 3 and it's a hoot to ride in, but I haven't driven it. Urban commuting - excellent. Road trips, no way.

I think there will be solutions to all the electric car issues, but it will take time, well more than the current mandates, such as California's no gas cars for sale beginning in 2035. Just think about charging all those cars at night with no solar and possibly no wind. Maybe gophers on a treadmill will do it. That's 13 years away - it isn't going to happen. What are apartment dwellers going to do? A charging station in every carport, parking garage or every parallel parking place on the street when that's the only parking option. The market for used gas cars will go through the roof - again. Or, when you need a new car, you just move to another state.

Gophers on a tread mill? Ha , funny Mr . get off My lawn. No, nat gas will still be the principal source for charging..
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/07/f18/20140729%20DOE%20Fact%20sheet_Natural%20Gas%20GHG%20Emissions.pdf

And that doesn't even count the emissions from burning the stuff.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Where have I heard Iso & Techno’s arguments before? Hmmmm.

Oh, I remember now, it was with cell phones. Iso’s rant went something like this if I recall.

“Those dang phones are too big. The batteries take 15 hours to charge & last less than an hour. And coverage is horrible. They only work in cities. If I can’t call grandma from the boondocks while eating my sandwich outside some useless lake that wants me to pay to enter, what use is the phone. I won’t ever own one of those dang things.

Iso”

I have to ask,
Techno, do you still not own a cell phone?

Coachg

Laughing Laughing
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely prefer natural gas over coal any day of the week. Add in the pollutants to get coal out of ground, to process and transport it, it's unquestionably one of the worst sources for the production energy.

At this point in my life, I'm sticking with my gas powered Allroad, as it is totally paid for. Changing to an EV that I would like to buy would be very costly and inconvenient for me. Six figures for EV is a bit off-the-top in my book. Moreover, to charge at home, I would have to create a 220 volt system and transport to a practical location to plug into.

Looking to future, I would like to think that hydrogen fuel cell powered vehicles is the most ideal technology long term. You can fill up quickly just like gas or diesel, but with zero pollution out the tailpipe. Yet, admittedly, building the infrastructure would be a huge and expensive task, especially if done concurrently with electric charging stations. We are at a weird crossroads right now picking the best path for the next 100 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 170, 171, 172 ... 192, 193, 194  Next
Page 171 of 194

Jump to: