myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gun Nuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 306, 307, 308 ... 329, 330, 331  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preston Phillips, the doctor targeted and killed in Tulsa, was in my class at Harvard Medical School. He was a kind and big-hearted man. I last talked to him at a class reunion several years ago.

I agree fully with the recommendations of coboardhead.

The American College of Surgeons published these recommendations today:

The ACS outlined a set of recommendations to address the gun violence epidemic. The recommendations were based on a survey sent to surgeons across the U.S., who ACS Trauma Programs Medical Director Eileen Bulger, MD, said are "almost all passionate firearm owners."

The organization recommended measures including robust background checks for all purchases and transfers of firearms; universal registration and the implementation of an electronic database for all registered firearms; and the reassessment of high capacity, magazine-fed semi-automatic guns like AR-15-style rifles to be included in the class III weapons designation, or the creation of a new weapons class to accommodate those guns.

"Whether it's a legislative process or an executive order, we believe that [AR-15-style classification] change should be made, and we would work with any stakeholders," ACS Executive Director Patricia Turner, MD, said at the conference.

"I do not believe that the [recommendations] pose an undue burden on the rights of individual gun owners," ACS Medical Director for Advocacy Patrick Bailey, MD, said. Dr. Bailey is a self-proclaimed gun owner."

https://www.beckersasc.com/asc-news/american-college-of-surgeons-speaks-out-after-2-surgeons-killed-at-mass-shooting-at-asc-building.html
vientomas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your classmate and colleague. I can only hope something positive will result from his senseless death.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to remind us all of how extreme the Republican party has become, and how a 5-4 decision, penned by Scalia, has fed extremism and massive profits for the gun industry. I agreed with little that Burger wrote—he was pretty far to the rigfht. But this is what he said about guns:

Quote:
Former Chief Justice Warren Burger, a conservative, said the idea that there was an individual right to bear arms was "a fraud." If he were writing the Bill of Rights now, he said in 1991, "There wouldn't be any such thing as the Second Amendment."

He declared on PBS that the Second Amendment "has been the subject of one of the greatest pieces of fraud, I repeat the word fraud, on the American public by special interest groups that I have ever seen in my lifetime."

Of course, the genesis of the second amendment was to make sure that Southern states could have militias to put down slave revolts. All of this, and the culture that has evolved around it, is sick.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this administration gave a crap about the lives of the people in our country, he'd stop the free-for-all illegal alien invasion. Fentanyl kills more people than guns do. But it's all about votes, not lives. Ironically, less than 30% of Hispanics support him.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When was the last time a score of grade school kids were killed by someone with a semi automatic fentanyl dispenser?
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vientomas wrote:
4. Liability Insurance.

While a good idea, and I agree isurance should be required, sadly there is no insurance coverage for intentional acts. That is not likely to change.

True. But owning a device that could cause insurable losses such as accidents and suicide (sometimes) could be separately insured. The idea is to make gun ownership cost something that reflects the cost on society.
real-human

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't this interesting,, when pedophile was in office after another mass shooting, trump says red flag is to be without due process and no backlash by right wingers...

Quote:
The same red flag laws Trump pushed for years and his RINO followers said absolutely nothing. Proof yet again they only care about gun rights, freedom, etc when a democrat is in office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du4xz6Lndxk&t=9s

Trump: Take the guns first, go through due process second

Quote:
53,273 views Mar 1, 2018 WSJ assistant editorial page editor James Freeman and FBN's Dagen McDowell and Connell McShane on President Trump's push for lawmakers to take action on gun control.

coachg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic Iso, no facts so attempt to redirect to fentanyl but then tries to tie the fentanyl epidemic to illegal immigration. Only a brain dead Fox News moron would believe immigrants can carry enough fentanyl across the desert on their backs to cause an epidemic. Really?

As for the second amendment, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed”, why do conservatives ignore the term “well regulated Militia”?

Coachg
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Politics is a sport that requires a lot of Money. The NRA, funded by gun/ammo manufacturers funnels a ton of cash into the campaigns. So, I think you won't see a thing until that cash cow is impacted.
SAS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
If this administration gave a crap about the lives of the people in our country, he'd stop the free-for-all illegal alien invasion. Fentanyl kills more people than guns do. But it's all about votes, not lives. Ironically, less than 30% of Hispanics support him.

More deflection and small minded thinking. Fentanyl deaths are high and are a problem. Gun deaths are high and are a problem. In most cases they are unrelated. Good policy would be to try to reduce both.

Plus there is a big difference. The vast majority of people who die of fentanyl killed themselves. The vast majority of people killed by guns are murdered.

Illegal immigration is largely unrelated to both fentanyl deaths and gun deaths. Biden's level of support by Hispanics also is unrelated to the topic of gun deaths. Iso's brain fog makes him think that immigrants are the cause of every problem in the USA, and the solution to every problem is to stop illegal immigration.

Last, thank you Vientomas for your statement above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 306, 307, 308 ... 329, 330, 331  Next
Page 307 of 331

Jump to: