myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wing Foiling Spots North NJ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
new_victor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Wing Foiling Spots North NJ Reply with quote

Hi,

I've recently moved to Northern NJ area (North Bergen) and I'm looking for good spots for a beginner to wing foil in NJ or Long Island NY. Something ideally within 1:30h drive (if any).

So far I've only found Sandy Hook, which has the windsurfing beach, but not sure if it has enough depth to foil.

Also, would be great to know if there are any forums/groups dedicated to foiling in the area. Haven't had any luck with my search in Google.

Many thanks!
rswabsin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to NJ - Sandy Hook has the largest number of dedicated wing foilers that I've seen (roughly 3-6 of them). The water is plenty deep from mid to high tide. Any day there is northwest wind forecast (midteens or better) you'll find several windsurfers, kiters and usually 2-3 wing foilers. As the weather gets warmer, more people will come out.

Rob
new_victor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob, that's great to hear. I'll definitely check it out one it gets warmer.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also another deep water spot just a few miles west of Sandy Hook - off Route 36 in Port Monmouth.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4386819,-74.0877259,2189m/data=!3m1!1e3

You can see this spot faces north so best wind is east to north east and west to northwest. There tends to be big chop and rolling swell here which is fun for windsurfing and kiting. I've seen some wing and wind foiling here lately - wind foiling is tough to uphaul with the large chop from what I've seen. But the winger foilers do very well. This is a nice option in the summer months as Sandy Hook gets very crowded.

Rob
new_victor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! I'll check out the other spot too, also close and looks like it has a lot of open space! Thanks!
robertthuss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are definitely your two best spots!

I windsurfed at Lot C Sandy Hook for years, starting when I lived in Bergen County (Wood-Ridge). It's an easy hour from you. But beware weekend traffic, if a sea breeze is predicted for a Saturday afternoon just get there early or the park may close on you. Best wind directions are S and SE. Many kiters there and a few foilers. Depth is fine as long as its not dead low tide.

Now I live right next to the other spot in Port Monmouth. More open water and best wind directions are as mentioned: E to NE and NW to W. Depth is fine anytime.

See you on the water - Robert
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: