myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
GPS Watches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
feuser

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: GPS Watches Reply with quote

I have been using Garmin Quatix for sit-down and stand-up sailing and surfing for the last 6 years. Over this period of time, I have had to replace the watch 4 times and it looks like I have another unusable unit now. I like the Garmin OS and all the possible integrations with Navionics Charts and NMEA marine instruments, but I am thinking to give the competition a try. Anyone here using a Coros Apex, Vertex or similar? What's the verdict?

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the coros apex pro, mostly because it is an approved gps device for gpsspeedsurfing.com

Pros: easy to get from REI, super awesome battery life compared to both my prior garmins (at least 3x), has existing speedsailing and windsurfing apps, extra long band which is good for going over a wetsuit

Cons: expensive, no community downloadable apps
feuser

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUCARO wrote:
I got the coros apex pro, mostly because it is an approved gps device for gpsspeedsurfing.com

Pros: easy to get from REI, super awesome battery life compared to both my prior garmins (at least 3x), has existing speedsailing and windsurfing apps, extra long band which is good for going over a wetsuit

That's excellent info.

How do you like the build quality and customer support?

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feuser wrote:
LUCARO wrote:

That's excellent info.

How do you like the build quality and customer support?

Seems sturdy enough.

I have had it about 3 months an no issues at all, so have not had any experience with their customer support my old garmin had corrosion in the charging port which was super annoying especially as often as it would need charging
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUCARO wrote:

Can it display speed in knots?
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugly_Bird wrote:

I don't have one, but I am 99.99% sure it can.

LUCARO wrote:

On gpsspeedsurfing.com, any watch can be used. Unless you are planning to go for an official record (which would require top speeds above 50 knots, and similar extreme speeds for other categories, the only difference between "approved" and "basic" (not approved) devices is that sessions with approved devices get a green icon instead of a yellow one.

That said, the most expensive Coros watches seem to avoid the overstating of top speeds that many other watches occasionally see, mostly due to clever (?) filtering. As a result of the filtering, it seems to often understate top speeds by 1/2 knot or so, but speeds for longer times (10 seconds, 500 m, etc.) seem to be more accurate. If money is not an issue, the Coros Apex Pro is probably a good choice.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugly_Bird wrote:

I don't have one, but I am 99.99% sure it can.

LUCARO wrote:

On gpsspeedsurfing.com, any watch can be used. Unless you are planning to go for an official record (which would require top speeds above 50 knots, and similar extreme speeds for other categories), the only difference between "approved" and "basic" (not approved) devices is that sessions with approved devices get a green icon instead of a yellow one.

That said, the most expensive Coros watches seem to avoid the overstating of top speeds that many other watches occasionally see, mostly due to clever (?) filtering. As a result of the filtering, it seems to often understate top speeds by 1/2 knot or so, but speeds for longer times (10 seconds, 500 m, etc.) seem to be more accurate. If money is not an issue, the Coros Apex Pro is probably a good choice.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugly_Bird wrote:
LUCARO wrote:

So, I pulled the plug and purchased
COROS APEX Pro
This watch is awesome!
It not only can display speed in knots but also allows to customize the screen. For "Speedsurfing" workout I set the following values to be displayed: current speed, 5 sec average, 10 sec average, distance, sesh time and time of the day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: