myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Algae bloom on the bay
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fxop

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long will it last? Once it starts, what stops it?

fxop
mac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less red in Berkeley and the central bay today.
SPQR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm that’s interesting. First item on channel 7’s news tonight was about the algae bloom. According to someone reporters interviewed this is the worst so called red tide or algae bloom in the bay ever. Apparently lots of dead fish washing up, although I haven’t seen any. Well, it hasn’t been that windy at Coyote so not much reason to sample it. On the weekend though I saw warning signs at Coyote regarding water contact.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big recreational lake in Utah (Willard Bay) known by WSers for its steady wind had an advisory closure years ago (like now) when the shoreline was heaped with dead fish. "Advisory" meant "There's something killing off the fish and giving some people sore throats and earaches. Stay out of the water for the sake of your health, but we're not going to arrest you".

I had the entire lake and its nice swell to myself at a rock-steady 22 mph or so one beautiful summer day. When I came ashore a TV news crew poked a microphone in my face and asked, "Aren't you worried about the health threat?"

"Nope. If I get an earache I'll go see a doctor. That was too much fun to pass up."

We get those same closures today on the Columbia River minutes from my home. When I asked the county health director about wet kayaking on the river (rolling in to cool off and practice reboarding), he said, "I do that very often. Just don't drink the water, take a shower when you get home, and KEEP YOUR DOGS THE HELL AWAY."
LUCARO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few dead fish floating in PA on the weekend. Some big ones too. Didn't see any floating at coyote. Wondering of the algae has a tough time starving the deeper waters of oxygen so its harder on the fish in shallow areas.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty much exactly how it works where I've seen red algae blooms.
I watched a whole shallow lake of carp die that way. The dead fish berm was
close to a foot high, and smelled even worse than that lake typically smelled.

-Craig

LUCARO wrote:
Quite a few dead fish floating in PA on the weekend. Some big ones too. Didn't see any floating at coyote. Wondering of the algae has a tough time starving the deeper waters of oxygen so its harder on the fish in shallow areas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: