myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Isabella?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwindy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:03 am    Post subject: Lake Isabella? Reply with quote

Is there enough water in lake Isabella for windsurfing these days?
buczacz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, but beware of hazards. It can also be very hot.
check Eva's reports on Lake Isabella Windsurfing on Facebook.
superkraut

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are this afternoon 42,771acft of water in Lake Isabella, which constitute 7.5% of its capacity. There are as well gazillion trees, many of which now stick out - though its the ones that do not as yet stick out, that I worry about most.
For a number of months now, the lake has not reached the base of the Auxiliary dam - you can today walk across most of our erstwhile Auxiliary Dam windsurf venue. As well, for months now, the trees have made the Ghetto sailing venue untenable.
We are today reduced to a small safe sailing area near the Old Isabella ramp - see one of my GPS tracks from last week, overlayed on a Google Earth pic from May 2015, when the lake level was a few inches higher. The fetch is about 950 feet in the typical SSW wind.
(For s&%s and giggles, I pulled up one of my tracks from September 2019, when we had a glorious 60% in our lake. The fetch then was 2265 feet)
I still sail here, because I live 2 miles away. But why anyone would want to burn through 100s of dollars of gas to get here and sail - is a total mystery to me.
The Water Master's projection has the lake drop another 2 feet before stabilizing for the winter.
Eva

JannN Aug22.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  423.96 KB
 Viewed:  5627 Time(s)

JannN Aug22.JPG

current venue.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  285.01 KB
 Viewed:  5650 Time(s)

current venue.jpg

Sept2019track.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  231.13 KB
 Viewed:  5650 Time(s)

Sept2019track.jpg

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Eva,
It is sad to see the state of one of the great windsurfing lakes anywhere. I fear we are in for more drought years to come.
Lopez lake windsurfing area is a parking lot. It has not been sailable for the last 2 years. At least we here on the coast have options. Maybe all the Isabel and Lopez windsurfers should meet at bird island next April for a remember windsurfing at the lakes party. It might be a bunch of old folks, but old folks know how to have fun,,,Just sayin
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eva, that gives as clear a "Heads Up!" as anyone can give.

W1
superkraut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Miss Eva,
It is sad to see the state of one of the great windsurfing lakes anywhere. I fear we are in for more drought years to come.
Lopez lake windsurfing area is a parking lot. It has not been sailable for the last 2 years. At least we here on the coast have options. Maybe all the Isabel and Lopez windsurfers should meet at bird island next April for a remember windsurfing at the lakes party. It might be a bunch of old folks, but old folks know how to have fun,,,Just sayin

Count me in! and I will probably head to Texas this fall as well, because not sailing is not an option! (suffering a case of Torschlusspanik, the fear that if I don't do it NOW, I won't ever again)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: