myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Blog: Heat Dome Marathon + Hurricane

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Blog: Heat Dome Marathon + Hurricane Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

It was HOT this Labor Day and the heat is not over.

This image shows you some of the variables that create all the heat.

The media is talking non-stop about the enduring heat wave and how it is caused by a "Heat Dome"

This first animation shows you the upper-level ridge and upper-level high pressure that is creating this heat dome.

The second graphic I made shows some of the factors behind the persistence of the Heat Dome.

This blog has more imagery and text about how the heat dome impacts different sailing sites:

https://blog.weatherflow.com/west-coast-wind-blog-this-heat-dome-is-a-marathon-heat-wave-not-a-sprint/

All the models agree that the heat wave will end Saturday in a very odd way As former hurricane Kay moves into Southern California waters.

Here was was my Heat Dome retreat:

https://windnotes.smugmug.com/RV-trips/Olympic-Peninsula/

Mike Godsey
Weatherflow

BayHeatWaveDomw.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.63 MB
 Viewed:  4342 Time(s)

BayHeatWaveDomw.gif

Heat DOME3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  143.69 KB
 Viewed:  4342 Time(s)

Heat DOME3.jpg

Last edited by windfind on Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight into what's been happening, at least here in Santa Barbara.

From my past experience, heat spells were generated by high pressure systems of much smaller dimensions, that didn't last that long. But the underlying factor in what I'm seeing is the humidity coming from elsewhere.

With the "heat dome" you've illustrated, I can see that we're getting unusual humidity along with sustained high temperatures. Believe me, nighttime has been brutal without air conditioning.

I guess Californians like me can be viewed as lightweights on the scheme of things.
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
With the "heat dome" you've illustrated, I can see that we're getting unusual humidity along with sustained high temperatures. Believe me, nighttime has been brutal without air conditioning.

I guess Californians like me can be viewed as lightweights on the scheme of things.

Hi swchandler,

Things are going to get even more interesting by Saturday. Steered by the heat dome winds Cat. 1 hurricane Kay will be near the outer Southern California bight and will probably pump more moisture into the atmosphere.

Given that we have record high Sea Surface Temperatures in parts of the Southern California bight there is a 50% chance of showers and thunderstorms.

See ithe mage below.

Mike Godsey
Weatherflow

Xnip2022-09-07_13-37-13.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  510.83 KB
 Viewed:  4196 Time(s)

Xnip2022-09-07_13-37-13.jpg

swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that forecast earlier this week. It's not surprising that it coming up from the south.

I can remember some memorable waves from such events, like one that happened in very early October 1973. Huntington Beach was top notch with long solid left lines at 8+. The day was huge.

The next week, I moved to Santa Barbara. We had a NW storm front move through in late October.

I hope that we can see early rainfall from the NW just around the corner. My best friend has been predicting a wet winter season this winter. Believe me, California can use it right now.
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

As you have probably noticed we have had some weird wind/weather patterns in recent years. But this week has been exceptional for weirdness.

This graphic shows how anomalous a weather pattern is compared to historical norms.

Check it out!

Mike Godsey
Weatherflow

Xnip2022-09-08_08-15-17.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  474.48 KB
 Viewed:  4121 Time(s)

Xnip2022-09-08_08-15-17.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: