myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
You idiots
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 137, 138, 139  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
coachg wrote:
Don’t you just hate absolute facts that you can’t spin in your favor?

And therein lies the problem. Incurious people read a superficial ranking, draw shallow conclusions which support their prejudices, and actually believe that they are in possession of "absolute facts". Try looking deeper into the statistics before repeatedly sneering at poor, typically under-served rural communities

https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2017.0083

Better access to health care for ALL citizens of a State do affect the numbers. One example is that Blue States have embraced Medicaid expansion under the ACA while many Red States didn't. The research article shows how health care policy does affect access to healthcare. Perhaps better health leads to longer lives...the article didn't show that...but, I bet it does.

We do know that many factors affect lifespan including exposure to pollutants, diet, exercise, education, wealth, access to health care.

Mrgybe, do you not see that, generally, Blue State policies promote these factors at a higher level than Red States?
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
coachg wrote:
Don’t you just hate absolute facts that you can’t spin in your favor?

And therein lies the problem. Incurious people read a superficial ranking, draw shallow conclusions which support their prejudices, and actually believe that they are in possession of "absolute facts". Try looking deeper into the statistics before repeatedly sneering at poor, typically under-served rural communities

Hmmm, you mean like your insistence on the cause of inflation strictly on Biden’s policies? Sorry I hurt your feelings mrgbye, but you do not have a patent on “simplistic assertions” to draw shallow conclusions to support your prejudices; we get to use them as well.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Coachg
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:

Better access to health care for ALL citizens of a State do affect the numbers. One example is that Blue States have embraced Medicaid expansion under the ACA while many Red States didn't. The research article shows how health care policy does affect access to healthcare. Perhaps better health leads to longer lives...the article didn't show that...but, I bet it does.

We do know that many factors affect lifespan including exposure to pollutants, diet, exercise, education, wealth, access to health care.

Mrgybe, do you not see that, generally, Blue State policies promote these factors at a higher level than Red States?

I would go a little farther & say Red state policies are squashing the under-served rural communities. Many rural health care clinics also provide abortions so they are being shuttered in Red states with no replacements. Under-served Blue state rural communities have better access to healthcare.

The other thing that is a main factor in life expectancy in Blue states is one of the conservatives most hated policy; regulations. Conservatives hate regulations. Regardless of if you love or hate regulations, they have a huge effect on health & wellbeing.

Conservative policies leave under-served rural communities to suffer. My distain isn’t for under-served rural communities, it is for conservative policies that turn a blind eye to their suffering.

Coachg
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
Hmmm, you mean like your insistence on the cause of inflation strictly on Biden’s policies?

Quote me saying that.
MikeLaRonde

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
MikeLaRonde wrote:
Are we clear now, coach? Maybe this is a subject you shouldn't go near. Just sayin'.

The only "clear" thing here is your tendency to talk to imaginary people. In your case I'll add "can't fix drunk". Happy?
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Coachg

So far so good, coach McG! I especially appreciate how the monkey has been silenced.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:

I'm not going to get drawn into an argument on the wider causes of disparate health outcomes. In response to any criticism of California, Coachg has repeatedly asserted that California has a higher life expectancy and therefore must be "better" than "Red" States. 95% of the CA population lives in urban areas generally well served by health care providers. Contrast that with Mississippi where more than 50% of the population lives in rural areas with limited access to healthcare. His assertion that conservative policies are the driver of different health outcomes in these frequently poor, rural communities is facile and deserves to be challenged. If you agree with him, fine.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let’s have a discussion of the facts. Not the spin. Three metrics.

Life expectancy. California 79.0
Mississippi. 71.9

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/sosmap/life_expectancy/life_expectancy.htm

Smoking rates. California under 13.2
Mississippi. Between 18.5 and 23.5

Obesity. California 26.3%
Mississippi. 40.8%, the highest of all the states

Smoking rates through the south and much of the midwest are similarly high. No wonder buggy whip wants to avoid a discussion. Government regulation and education efforts in California have cut the smoking rates and saved lives. Government regulation of automobile emissions caused by burning the volatile liquid that made him wealthy have reduced those emissions and saved lives.

Next question.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
coboardhead wrote:

I'm not going to get drawn into an argument on the wider causes of disparate health outcomes. In response to any criticism of California, Coachg has repeatedly asserted that California has a higher life expectancy and therefore must be "better" than "Red" States. 95% of the CA population lives in urban areas generally well served by health care providers. Contrast that with Mississippi where more than 50% of the population lives in rural areas with limited access to healthcare. His assertion that conservative policies are the driver of different health outcomes in these frequently poor, rural communities is facile and deserves to be challenged. If you agree with him, fine.

This is quite true. Access to health care in rural areas is not as good as in urban areas. So, that COULD skew the numbers. Yet, rural areas in Blue states ARE expanding access to health care at a rate that exceeds that of the Red States. So, the policies of Blue States tend to provide better a better environment for increased longevity.

California does a better job of providing access to health care across the board than does Mississippi. This is ONE area where Blue States out perform Red States in health. Other drivers are smoking and obesity. Those are not only a rural problem in Red States. They are a problem throughout Red States.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeLaRonde wrote:
So far so good, coach McG! I especially appreciate how the monkey has been silenced.

???? First imaginary guy named Jim, now named Monkey? I’m sorry, I’m too sober to understand what you are talking about.

Coachg
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
coachg wrote:
Hmmm, you mean like your insistence on the cause of inflation strictly on Biden’s policies?

Quote me saying that.

Sure thing, as soon as you quote me as “sneering at poor, under-served communities.

Coachg
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 137, 138, 139  Next
Page 24 of 139

Jump to: