myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nutty California
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 199, 200, 201 ... 203, 204, 205  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of the state paying out checks to "some" black folks seems wrong. Yet, I think that all thoughtful folks recognize that all black folks haven't had it easy over untold years in this nation. They aren't as blessed and free in America, and history proves it in so many ways.

What do we owe them today? That's the big question. What's the Supreme Court going to decide on affirmative action in college admissions.

To have a diverse society, and believe me its more than just black folks, we need to balance things across the income and boundary levels for all. That's one of the keys to fighting crime.

What do you think about going in a more pragmatic and fair direction where more folks benefit and fit in? But, let's agree about spending some big money. We can't afford to spend nothing, can we?

Last edited by swchandler on Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Of course Techno doesn’t tell us what should be done about past unfairness. That doesn’t stimulate the outrage centers of his brain. About scholarships for a few in a segregated system? http://mediahub.unc.edu/north-carolina-schools-are-resegregating-heres-what-that-means-for-the-states-students/

There was unfairness when the Pharoah took the Jews slaves. There was unfairness when the Arabs took Africans and European slaves. There was unfairness when the Irish were indentured slaves. There was unfairness when native Americans took the settlers as slaves. And there was unfairness when we took their land. So what? Now what? There are drugs and devastatetion on the richest Indian reservations today.. they have billions.. Enough of this nonsense.
wsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
mac wrote:
Of course Techno doesn’t tell us what should be done about past unfairness. That doesn’t stimulate the outrage centers of his brain. About scholarships for a few in a segregated system? http://mediahub.unc.edu/north-carolina-schools-are-resegregating-heres-what-that-means-for-the-states-students/

There was unfairness when the Pharoah took the Jews slaves. There was unfairness when the Arabs took Africans and European slaves. There was unfairness when the Irish were indentured slaves. There was unfairness when native Americans took the settlers as slaves. And there was unfairness when we took their land. So what? Now what? There are drugs and devastatetion on the richest Indian reservations today.. they have billions.. Enough of this nonsense.

There are drugs and devastation on the poorest Indian reservations as well.
Shite, there are drugs and devastation everywhere both rich and poor.
What's your point?
I guess reparations are out of your mindset.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
mac wrote:

Malibu. Have you ever been on a reservation? Sure, the Navajos have oil (white man fuckup…the land looked worthless)

I’ve spent time on the Sioux Reservation when I was a misguided religious pervert and later when I could actually help as an engineer. We are occupying their land and left them with the worst places to live I know of in the US. Hang out a while on the plains of South Dakota in the winter. Booze, now drugs, temper the pain of what your life is.

I grew up in the Black Hills. The warmer and calmer winter home for the Sioux.

The issue of reparations comes up all the time in that area. My parents were second generation Americans. My great grand parents brought their kids to the US as infants and toddlers with nothing. My dad was the first EVER in his family to get a college degree. He used that education to buy a piece of the Black Hills.

The thing is. My dad had his college provided by the GI Bill. My grandfather bought a wheat farm in North Dakota. Hell. Between all the Irish, Ukrainian and German Ancestors…those 8 people… My WHITE family grew to control some 15000 acres of prime wheat country. All of my 7 siblings graduated college.

Yet. Most Black, Hispanic and Idigenous People my age don’t have this history…or even close to it.

This IS an injustice and we have the OPPORTUNITY to engage those that were neglected by our economy. My ancestors were robbed of their livelihoods in Europe and came to this country with opportunity. Look what they achieved. We would be crazy as a nation to continue to squander the potential of those that we have systemically held back.

We just need to work on a solution instead of blame those we enslaved.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB,
Interesting that you should note the GI Bill. My wife's uncle Frank who is Japanese & fought with the 442nd in Italy, received benefits of the GI Bill. However, African American soldiers who fought in WW II did not.

Coachg
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsurfer wrote:
Some idiots with guns shot up some power substations (apparently with knowledge of what to target) in NC.

According to Techno that would only be nutty if they used something other than guns.

Coachg
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a draft with the final proposal delivered to the Mayor in June. It doesn't get any nuttier than this.

Quote:
San Francisco Reparations Committee Proposes That Each Black Longterm Resident Receive $5M and Debt Forgiveness
Iesha January 16, 2023 News Leave a comment

A reparations committee in San Francisco proposes paying each longtime Black resident $5 million and debt forgiveness after decades of “systematic repression.”

Last month, the San Francisco African American Reparations Advisory Committee released its draft report on reparations – not for slavery, since California was not a slave state but “to address the public policies explicitly created to subjugate Black people in San Francisco by upholding and expanding the intent and legacy of chattel slavery.”

The draft states, “While neither San Francisco nor California formally adopted the institution of chattel slavery, the tenets of segregation, white supremacy and systematic repression and exclusion of Black people were codified through legal and extralegal actions, social codes, and judicial enforcement.”

A complete list of financial suggestions for Black San Francisco residents is included in the draft plan, including a one-time, lump-sum payout of $5 million to each eligible person.

“A lump sum payment would compensate the affected population for the decades of harms that they have experienced and will redress the economic and opportunity losses that Black San Franciscans have endured, collectively, as the result of both intentional decisions and unintended harms perpetuated by City policy,” the draft states.

The candidate must be 18 years old and identify as Black or African American on official records for at least ten years to qualify for the program. Additionally, they must meet two out of eight additional requirements, which they may select from a list that includes “Born in San Francisco between 1940 and 1996 and has proof of residency in San Francisco for at least 13 years” and “Personally, or the direct descendant of someone, incarcerated by the failed War on Drugs.”

According to the draft, the plan also calls on the city to supplement lower-income recipients’ income to reflect the Area Median Income, which is around $97,000, annually for at least 250 years.

“Racial disparities across all metrics have led to a significant racial wealth gap in the City of San Francisco,” it argues. “By elevating income to match AMI, Black people can better afford housing and achieve a better quality of life.”

Furthermore, the plan aims to create “a comprehensive debt forgiveness program” that will forgive all qualifying individuals’ credit card debt, school loan debt, mortgage debt, etc.

“Black households are more likely to hold costlier, riskier debt and are more likely to have outstanding student loan debt,” the draft explains. “When this is combined with lower household incomes, it can create an inescapable cycle of debt. Eliminating this debt gives Black households an opportunity to build wealth.”

In June, the committee plans to submit the final draft proposal to Mayor London Breed, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors, and the San Francisco Human Rights Commission.

“There are so many efforts that result in incredible reports that just end up gathering dust on a shelf,” said Board of Supervisors President Aaron Peskin. “We cannot let this be one of them.”

From the actual Draft Plan, and there is a lot more than this:

Quote:
Actions
1.1 Provide a one-time, lump sum payment of $5 million to each eligible person.
Rationale: A lump sum payment would compensate the affected population for the decades of harms that they have experienced, and will redress the economic and opportunity losses that Black San Franciscans have endured, collectively, as the result of both intentional decisions and unintended harms perpetuated by City policy.
1.2 Supplement African-American income of lower income households to reflect the Area Median Income (AMI) annually for at least 250 years ($97,000 in 20221

Rationale: Racial disparities across all metrics have led to a significant racial wealth gap in the City of San Francisco. By elevating income to match AMI, Black people can better afford housing and achieve a better quality of life.
1.3 Provide access to a spectrum of financial education, from beginning to advanced.
Rationale: While traditional financial education emphasizes basic financial literacy, there is a need to provide a ‘ladder’ of financial education that encompasses all levels of financial knowledge so that resources match the broad spectrum of financial levels that exist throughout the community.
1.4 Create public bank framework2 to ensure that unbanked people have fair options and expanded access to credit, loans, financing and other tools for leveraging financial power.
Rationale: The ongoing quest for a public bank provides an opportunity for the City to offer options for populations that have historically been denied access to traditional financial institutions. Similar to credit unions, a public bank can be a safety net to ensure that those on the financial margins have access to competitive rates and can access traditional pathways to build financial resilience.
1.5 Recruit a Black-owned community bank to San Francisco or expand an existing institution with a Black-owned partner financial institution or a Freedman’s Bank. While the public bank framework is targeted toward marginalized communities broadly, a Black Owned Community Bank or Credit Union must:
• Allocate Community Reinvestment Act funds from banks that are specifically earmarked to meet the credit needs of low- and moderate-income communities and invest them in the communities they are intended to benefit;
• Increase lending in Black business owners and homeowners in Black communities;

https://sf.gov/sites/default/files/2023-01/HRC%20Reparations%202022%20Report%20Final_0.pdf
SAS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Techno on this one.

The 2020 census reported 44,930 African Americans in SF. Not all of these people would qualify for the $5 million since they are proposing this with certain requirement for length of residency in SF during certain years.

Let’s say just 22,000 people get the $5 million. That adds up to $110 billion.

The SF budget in 2022 was $14 billion. So, these reparations would the same as about 8 years of the SF budget.

I was born in LA and spent over 30 years living in CA, including 10 years in SF. I like California, but this proposal is definitely nutty.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAS wrote:

The 2020 census reported 44,930 African Americans in SF. Not all of these people would qualify for the $5 million since they are proposing this with certain requirement for length of residency in SF during certain years.

The SF budget in 2022 was $14 billion. So, these reparations would the same as about 8 years of the SF budget.

I was born in LA and spent over 30 years living in CA, including 10 years in SF. I like California, but this proposal is definitely nutty.

That's OK. All the taxpayers are moving to Texas.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAS wrote:

That's OK. All the taxpayers are moving to Texas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 199, 200, 201 ... 203, 204, 205  Next
Page 200 of 205

Jump to: