myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Winging with bum knees
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardhead1949

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject: Winging with bum knees Reply with quote

Is there anyone out there able to wing with knee replacements? I've been told that kneeling with prosthetic knees can be an issue Sad
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Winging with bum knees Reply with quote

I regularly sail the Gorge with a woman who wings with a knee
replacement, she's never complained about it at all, and she just
learned to wing 2 seasons ago.

-Craig

boardhead1949 wrote:
Is there anyone out there able to wing with knee replacements? I've been told that kneeling with prosthetic knees can be an issue Sad
boardhead1949

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Craig..thats reassuring, but then again, the gals are tougher than we are.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a video of Alan Cadaz doing a sit start that he makes look easy. No kneeling involved.
boardhead1949

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novaan,
I've seen that video and you have to be quite limber and flexible to get up that way..it's not something that I can do at my age (I'm older than Godzilla) and with my bad knees.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of "old" guys Started windsurfing way back when. I would guess that because of our adventurous spirit and age we all have nagging injuries. Windsurf foiling has extended my time on the water. Now I'm going all in on winging, spending the month of April at bird island. Warm air and water. I got my new wings a few weeks ago. I sat in a lawn chair and use a battery pump to inflate my wing halfway. It took less than a minute to top it off.
No pulling or straining to rig. My wings have a boom but are still super lite. De-rigging, if you can call it that, was so easy. I sat in the chair and had a beer while the wing went flat. Getting the thing back in the bag was the hardest part.
So far it seems that wing foiling will be much easier on my 72-year-old body.
Will see how the crash and burn thing goes with learning a new sport. I can post my results when I get home if anyone is interested.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At home, you should try kneeling and placing one foot forward and stand up. That tells you if you can do it or not..
When I started 2 years ago, I could NOT stand from a one knee position without losing my balance and needing several steps to get stable.
Of course, I have not been able to run or jog farther than 200' since 2007. Bad medial collateral and worse left ankle.
After this season of wing trying, I can climb back on a 100 liter board 30 times a session if need be, but still cannot jog 200'.
Will hit 74 in Feb. No foil jibes but close to 80% touch and go's direction changes.
But maybe since I hate the 2 leashes, I might go back to windsurf foiling and windsurfing.
Can't do it all....
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we can't do it all but we sure can try. I am lucky enough to still be able to ride my bike and hit the gym. So the legs are pretty strong. I do the lunge squat as part of my leg work out. Don't think the knee start will be much of an issue. Time will tell
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since '07, due to hyperextended ankle, I have not been able to run or jog more than 200'.
Still, ride road bikes 27 miles.
WS hardly affected.
Stopped tennis from knee issues.
Wing foiling no problem, neither windsurf foiling.
All anyone needs to wingfoil is to be able to stand up from a kneeling position without arm assist.
jse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
At home, you should try kneeling and placing one foot forward and stand up. That tells you if you can do it or not..
When I started 2 years ago, I could NOT stand from a one knee position without losing my balance and needing several steps to get stable.
Of course, I have not been able to run or jog farther than 200' since 2007. Bad medial collateral and worse left ankle.
After this season of wing trying, I can climb back on a 100 liter board 30 times a session if need be, but still cannot jog 200'.
Will hit 74 in Feb. No foil jibes but close to 80% touch and go's direction changes.
But maybe since I hate the 2 leashes, I might go back to windsurf foiling and windsurfing.
Can't do it all....

My knees are fairly healthy but they still complain. Thankfully we moved into a house that has no stairs. I think climbing up stairs 10 times a day is more hard on the knees than a session winging.

That being said, I learned early on a few tricks for getting up on your feet. If you can bend your knees at a 90 degree angle you should be good. I also recommend Feldenkrais for learning how to work around weaknesses or injuries. Here are my tips:

1. Be sure to distribute your weight on both feet as equally as possible. Lunging forward and putting all your weight on your front foot is going to guarantee that you will get wet.
2. Lose some weight. I don't mean get on a diet, but effectively reduce your weight by letting the wing compensate. If you have enough wind to get on foil, you should be able to hold the wing overhead, power it up by sheeting in such that the force of the wing is straight up, rather than forward.
3. Get in the genuflect or marriage proposal position. This is where 90 degrees comes in. From that position there are two ways to proceed: The first is to roll your back toes underneath your foot, then push on your back foot while you stand on your front foot. This is a classic Feldenkrais movement. The other is to simply roll your back foot towards your arch to get it flat on the board. Now you are in a squat position on both feet. Then just stand up. You can practice both of these maneuvers off the water, and if you have something to hang on with your hands, help your legs out by pulling with your arms (simulating the wing sheeted in).

Eventually all of what I said becomes moot as you will learn how to get up easily to the point of not having to think about it at all. As soon as you are consistently riding on foil realize you have extended your TOW by years because foiling (done properly) eliminates the effect of chop on the knees. I am 69 so not far behind you.

Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: