myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Duotone Slick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Duotone Slick Reply with quote

I just got this wing to learn this new sport. I have a decent amount of time windsurf foiling. I am going to Bird island Texas in April to learn in the warm air and water. If anyone has info on this wing, I would like to hear your opinion good or bad.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 5.5 and 4.5. If it gets windy I will windsurf.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good wing to get into the sport with, especially if you come from a windsurfing background. The boom will feel natural to you. The boom is great for freeriding & freestyle as it is easier to move your hands along the boom to trim the wing than to have to move your hand by going handle to handle. Just make sure you attach the boom properly. Laughing

The boom does add weight & is more difficult to travel (fly) with. People coming from a surfing background who are mostly going to ride waves, swells or downwinders favor handles as those wings tend to park better. The weight of the boom can make the wing start to rock back & forth when flagging on a swell ride.

Wings have bigger range than windsurf sails. I would have gone 4.5 to 6.0 or 4.0 to 5.5.

Coachg
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I sorta wish I started with booms, instead of a million handles.
Duotone are pretty big, so for 170 lbs., 5.5 for 10-18, 4.5 up to 25 mph gusts.
Bigger foils are easier, 1000's are faster but require more pumping.
I learned this year, but still like windsurfing and windsurf foiling
because I'm better at those.
Board and foil are just as important.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, men. This will be, most likely the last "new" thing I try to learn. Of course, I said that in 1982 about windsurfing. With You Tube, and all the video info, I'm hoping to progress at a better rate than the learning curve for windsurfing. Windsurf foiling should help. World Winds on bird Island is now offering wing lessons. I am a big advocate for newbie windsurfers taking a few lessons. Probably won't follow my own advice unless I crash and burn the whole time. Going from windsurfing to wind foiling was easy. With full foil rides across the lake the first day. Turns took a lot longer. Any way it should fun trying...
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this experiment goes well, I will add a 3.5. IF it doesn't there might be a few wings of sale. Just sayin
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to ask, why move on to something new? In asking, I'm not trying to be negative. Yet, I have to wonder why folks eagerly want to move on from a great sport like windsurfing to something else. Although getting old can retire us from many things, not everybody is in their senior years.

Speaking for myself, I was never captured by the kiting fad even though virtually all my windsurfing friends dumped windsurfing for kiting. I remember seeing early pioneers of foiling back in the mid 90s, but it didn't spark my interest either. The current craze of wingfoiling similarly fails to interest me too. While I'm admittedly way too old today to start a new sport, I guess I'm still curious to know why younger folks want to leave such a great sport like windsurfing behind.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I guess I'm still curious to know why younger folks want to leave such a great sport like windsurfing behind.

Curiosity; it is something new & different.

Portability; Much easier to transport, lighter & requires far less equipment.

Learning curve; A much shorter & easier learning curve.

That being said, just because you spend more time doing a newer sport doesn't necessarily mean you are leaving the old. I think it makes sense to focus on the new sport until you get proficient. Once proficient you end up finding out where each sport best fits for your style & likes.

Coachg
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novann, hope it comes to you.....it still has not worked for me.,
I'd windsurf foiled 150 days.
Now around that wingfoiling. Both, foiling since 1st day, if breeze exceeds 15. Up and riding is easy.
Foil jibes still elude me on wing.
Windsurf foil, by day 50.
Heck, windsurf planing jibes by 1st month.
Windsurf foil works best for me in light breeze to 25 mph, when I'm on 4.2 and 85 liter boards.
Wing needs another 2mph breeze.
Have fun, easy to stay upwind sitting, kneeling, standing, or foiling if you sink windward rail a little bit.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there are bunch of the "older" folks leaving windsurfing and kiting to wing foil. For all the reasons that cocahg stated. I have been rigging and de-rigging windsurf sails since 1982. Sometimes for me, a wife and kids.
Winging offers simplicity and fun in lite wind. My wings have a boom and once pump up are super lite, easy to carry and float in the wind walking with them on the beach. De-rigging is, pull the plug, sit in lawn chair, drink beer, watch wing go flat, finish beer, roll up wing. Even if the wind quits before you get in the water, the de-rigging sounds like fun...just sayin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: