myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New touch screen phone housing for making windsurfing video.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: New touch screen phone housing for making windsurfing video. Reply with quote

Hi Gang!

Those of you who love the ocean will enjoy this underwater video Elizabeth and I took on the Dutch Island of Bonaire while siting Tempest weather stations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqlyNBU9eDQ&t=321s

While making the video, I realized that all our super wide-angle GoPro-type windsurfing videos are missing some of the excitement created by having a camera in the water with both a telephoto and wide-angle lens.

In the past, such cameras meant bulky, expensive housings and dedicating your afternoon to shooting video, not windsurfing or kiting or foiling. This flat new housing is inexpensive and can be strapped to your chest and then quickly accessed when you drop into the water to film.

The best part is that this housing is controlled through your phone's touch screen, giving you full access to your phone's tools, including various lens options, texting, cellular calls, GPS, and even satellite rescue capabilities.

Enjoy the video and think about taking a hot video at your local site!

Mike Godsey
weatherflow.com
iwindsurf.com
ikitesurf.com
sailflow.com
fishweather.com

YouTubeDIveVolk thumbnail.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.4 MB
 Viewed:  6097 Time(s)

YouTubeDIveVolk thumbnail.jpg

jse

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about action cameras, I perfer to not be encumbered when I sail, but that's just me. Also, I don't have the time to edit the results, set it to music, etc... I see a lot of POV videos, some with extreme wide angle view that makes it look like you are riding on a marble. The one thing common about these is that the subject matter is the person filming.

There is a kiter on Maui that does it different, he rides a tiny board, foil and a small kite, uses a camera on a selfie stick and never films himself, just other people. We see him on the water with his camera, we go to him like moths to a light bulb, hoping to make the cut for his next videos. I can watch his videos for hours, it really gives you the feeling you get on the water. Here is a recent example:

https://youtu.be/XgD01uSfUqE

Steve
jse

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He even gets underwater shots:

https://youtu.be/G5sfuTC3lWI
WNDZRFR

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are great videos, it's definitely like you are there! I worry though that the sea turtles are going to get run over!

And he is flying a kite one handed the whole time? Dam

jse

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNDZRFR wrote:
Those are great videos, it's definitely like you are there! I worry though that the sea turtles are going to get run over!

Turtles are everywhere. On a foil they are easy to see. I have had a few close calls but between me and the turtle we were able to avoid contact. Windsurfing is a different issue, you are going faster, you are being bounced by the chop and your head is maybe 4 or 5 feet above the water as opposed to 8 feet on foil. A friend of mine tore his fin box open hitting a turtle on a sailboard just the other day.

Steve
jse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNDZRFR wrote:

In this video you can see his setup. Check out the size of his board!

https://youtu.be/lsvE8gKcfE8

Steve
WNDZRFR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He definitely has mad skills at multitasking!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: