myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rugged waterproof digital camera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fanaticultrahawk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Rugged waterproof digital camera Reply with quote

I am looking for a new camera that I can take to beach beat up and get wet. Most of my searches show the olympus stylus line 720 and 790 or the Pentax waterproof optio.

Does anyone have any experince with these?
bates

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the olympus, its super durable, I sail with it in my pocket often. Just make sure to keep sand away from it and also to wash with fresh water when you are done
farabi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rugged waterproof digital camera Reply with quote

fanaticultrahawk wrote:
I am looking for a new camera that I can take to beach beat up and get wet. Most of my searches show the olympus stylus line 720 and 790 or the Pentax waterproof optio.

Does anyone have any experince with these?

I had pentax optio wp, first generation.. Nice pictres. not so good videos. finally after 3 years seal started to leak a bit. I dried it out and it works fine. in colder weather a battery life is quite bad. Newer models suppose to have much better video quality.
macbarnhardt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Rugged Waterproof Digital Camera Reply with quote

check out the Sanyo Xacti VPC-E1 waterproof vid cam...takes 6 megapixel stills too. Here is example of what it can do...all pictures and videos taken with it:

http://thewaterturtle.blogspot.com/2008/04/modified-helmetcam-footage.html

http://thewaterturtle.blogspot.com/2008/03/kooks-of-costa-rica.html

Mac
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good luck with my Canon SD-400 and Canon's waterproof case. It's a little bit bigger than a dedicated waterproof camera, but a less expensive way to go. Going on three years now and it's still just as watertight as when I bought it.
bobg
macbarnhardt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: rugged waterproof digital camera Reply with quote

Here's more from the Sanyo Xacti waterproof camera - courtesy of my OBX trip report:
http://thewaterturtle.blogspot.com

Mac
bajaguy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw a camera last week that may be what you are looking for. It's called the Digital Hero 3. It's waterproof to 100' and will take both still and video. It comes with a wrist strap, but can also be mouted on a helmet (boom or mast?). Might be worth checking out: http://www.goprocamera.com/ Will accept a 2 gig memory card for extended video or picture storage. Sorry I don't own one yet, so maybe someone who does can give a hands on review.
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sanyo has just announced a new version of their waterproof camcorder (old one is Xacti E1). It's called the DMX-CA8. Supposed to be released in Japan in May and a bit later elsewhere.
bobg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: