myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
120 liter Freeride boards
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwood5 wrote:
so I'm only wanting this Hawk for my 6m to about 8m possibly. In these conditions, here on the Dallas lakes, it's pretty flat, so I'm not worried about how wavy the board is. This one is also a tad narrower than others in this range. I like that since I'm an old timer and still not 100% used to the short/wide boards. I still sort of dig my older rides for some things.

So, full report next week....

m
Jrobb wrote:

It was a lighter wind day about 16-20mph and later with some bigger puffs. I had a 5.8m Ka Koncept (not generally known for it's grunt in this size but really fast).
J
Inlandsea.com has an '06 Naish Icon 120 still up for a reduced price. I wonder what you are looking for in a board this size. Personally, I was sailing my Angulo Sumo 125 with an N.P V-8 8.0 recently in one of those lighter wind days. I would have done better, I thought, with my Loft 02 9.6, but that stretches the limits of the board. Being able to cut a gybe with the 8.0 on that board gave me a real sense of accomplishment. Definitely, I'm finding that the V-8 can plane up in lighter winds than some other sails in that size. In fact, I believe I'm planing up earlier with it than with my Loft 02 8.4. However, these comparisons are hard to make in that they take many hours of sailing and to be correct, alternating the sails often. I would be looking for a 120 liter board to be easy to gybe with these large sails. I think the Naish 120 would be easier to gybe than the Angulo Sumo in that I own an Icon 160. However, this board can serve me better than the smaller boards in the flatish waters I have been normally sailing. The Sumo handles choppy waters better due to it's size, but I suspect it also handles it better than the similarly sized Icon. Nevertheless, this would only be confirmed with extensive comparisons.
mwood5 wrote:
In all reality, any of the boards would be great, but there are slight differences, that I see, that make them all a tad different.
mike

As I found in the ski industry, I could go out on an industry wide demo day and try twenty different skis. They would all ski differently. However, once skiing on the same ski repeatedly (usually either a freebie or very low priced pro deal), I could quickly grow to like any ski. There are very few atheletes that can pick and choose their sponsor. You just don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Given the reviews I found for the Icon, I saw that the only real complaint was that the rear footstraps were too far out on the rail. However, that gives it the unique speed characteristics it has. I couldn't find too many reviews of the Sumo. However, the price was right. Laughing
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
[As I found in the ski industry, I could go out on an industry wide demo day and try twenty different skis. They would all ski differently. However, once skiing on the same ski repeatedly (usually either a freebie or very low priced pro deal), I could quickly grow to like any ski. There are very few atheletes that can pick and choose their sponsor. You just don't look a gift horse in the mouth. speed . *** I couldn't find too many reviews of the Sumo. However, the price was right. Laughing

Several tests were done by Windsurf UK magazine, and found the Sumo especially the 105L as I recall : highly recommended.

As for the ski comparison, I have never thought of this previously but your analysis, is brilliant, & grow to like any board as well.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabou~R2 wrote:

Several tests were done by Windsurf UK magazine, and found the Sumo especially the 105L as I recall : highly recommended.
I like mine. Angulo didn't break into the N.E. shops, though, and you can't find them now anywhere but Canada.
Tabou~R2 wrote:

As for the ski comparison, I have never thought of this previously but your analysis, is brilliant, & grow to like any board as well.
Thanks for the compliment, but actually it's based on experience and extensive discussion with many ski salesmen. Nevertheless, giving your customers a choice in retailling i.e. offering too many different items for them to feel comfortable making a quick decision not only keeps your sales force occupied but makes the people who finally purchase feel they found the best item for themselves. There's a definite way to sell successfully. Gaining your customers confidence in your grasp of his intentions, desires and needs goes hand in hand with impressing him/her with your knowledge of product.
robwilliamson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not sailed the Fanatic Hawk 123, but i own the 108 which I highly recommend. Much more lively than the equivalent sized JP Excite.

Some advise when buying a board - If you can afford it, buy your first choice board. Don't make a compromise to save a couple of hundred bucks. There is a good reason boards get heavily discounted, they are not selling.
mwood5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't have too much to report on my new 123 liter Hawk as the wind didn't cooperate. But, the few runs that I did get on it felt really good. Stay tuned for more details.....

m
mwood5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't have too much to report on my new 123 liter Hawk as the wind didn't cooperate. But, the few runs that I did get on it felt really good. Stay tuned for more details.....

m
rlemmens

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'ld go with a tabou rocket or rocket ltd. You can get pretty good deals on them as well.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robwilliamson wrote:
There is a good reason boards get heavily discounted, they are not selling.
So what?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: