myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New to Riverside, CA, where to surf?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thegerman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: New to Riverside, CA, where to surf? Reply with quote

Hi, I just moved to Riverside, CA, where can I go windsurfing here? I heard of Lake Perris or Lake Elsinore, is that true? What winds and where are launch sites? I am grateful for any input. Haven't been in a while and can't wait to get on the water, since its blowing so nicely out there!
If anyone wanna hook up let me know I live close to Corona but still Riverside.

See ya on the water
thegerman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no windsurfing around here? Shocked
capetonian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't know the Riverside lakes. Never sailed Lake Perris etc.

Cabrillo/Belmont Shore/Seal Beach for summer thermals. Lake Isabella as a weekend trip. Sunset, Huntington Beach, Topanga, Leo Carillo, County Line, C-Street for waves (most of these spots have weak waves perfect for beginners - especially Leo Carillo Wink ). Jalama, Arroyo Laguna, San Carlos for real waves but requires a road trip.
letwink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed Perris once, it was kind of gusty. Don't recall specifically where I launched form.
3-phase

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabrillo Beach wind most of the time,
Lake Elsinor good in Santa Ana winds the water quality is not the best.
Huntington and Bolsa Chica good wind and waves on west wind clearing.
Leo Carillo spring and fall nice wind and waves,
Stop by in Cabrillo Beach and talk to the guys there we make Caravan to San Carlos, Gorge, Lake Isabella etc.

Hang loose

Jurg
408-394-9695

www.kasail.com
www.windsurfdeal.com
D-wo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Perris works on a strong Santa Ana (You'll know it when they come). Launch by the dam for the most wind. I went once last winter, it was cold, plenty windy and only marginally worth it. I generally only sail in the ocean. I wouldn't recommend Lake Elsinore (Smell some more). I hear people sail Lake Havasu. I have never been there, but apparently there is high wind sailing during Santa Anas. The coastal sites should pick up again in the spring. Winter days are hit and miss. Alas Riverside is not Santa Cruz, but you are close to local skiing and snowboarding.
christopher_cf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Lake Perris, Lake Elsinore, Big Bear Lake Reply with quote

Lake Perris is extremely flat so it is great for jibing, carving, and going back-and-forth, but it is definitely not bump-n-jump. You can launch at either the west or east end of the Lake, but the west end is specifically designated for sailing craft and you can drive your vehicle all the way down to the water. The best winds are Easterly Santa Ana conditions. When it blows more Northerly, it can be very sporadic because of the hills. There is a fee for entering the lake which I think is $8 per day that you are expected to deposit in the iron ranger box.

Lake Elsinore is much more bump-n-jump territory and is much better than Lake Perris when Santa Ana winds are more Northerly. You can launch on the Southeast side off of Grand Ave at a place called the "playground", if I remember correctly. It looks like a mobile home park but the road takes you to a parking area and sandy/rocky launch spot. Alex and I went there when it was blowing in the 30s and it actually got some really huge swells. There is no fee for Lake Elsinore and I doubt that the water quality is actually any worse than any of the Southern California coastly spots, especially Cabrillo Beach.

Big Bear lake is another option up until December 1 when it will close down to all lake use until April 1 as it becomes a bald eagle sanctuary. Although it is up at 6000 feet altitude, it is a shallow lake that is actually pretty warm in the summer (only had to use my shorty). It is really good for bump-n-jump and jibing/carving. There are many boaters on the weekends, but the weekdays are pretty empty and the motorcraft typically travel in circuits around the perimeter of the lake. There are two public launches that provide easy access, but you can technically launch anywhere you can walk down to the water. The best launch area is on the Northwest side just before you get to Windy Point which, as you would guess, is the best place to windsurf. You have to buy a permit, even for a windsurfer, but it is only $30 for the entire year/season which you can get at the main office on the South side or at the public launch mentioned. When looking at the sensors for Big Bear Lake, ignore the Fawnskin one because that area is trapped inside a big cove and does not indicate the conditions on the water accurately. I think that the Big Bear City sensor is a more appropriate indicator. The folks that manage the lake are quite friendly. Say hi to Dee for me if you go to the West launch.

Cheers Very Happy
Christopher
bulldog

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come nobody mentions the Ponds? Oh, I know, because it's been
closed for a while. He He He He......
3-phase

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can we get one pond open for speedsailing ? We could run upper 40 knots easy and be in the top 10 positons worldwide.
Anybody has a idea or connections?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRWyn_pTRPQ&feature=related

Jurg

www.kasail.com
www.windsurfdeal.com
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey,
i'm Tony and have been windsurfing lake perris and other areas around riverside since 1980. give me a call at 714 692 8369. spring and summer
at perris blows almost everday 4pm to dark. big board and sail required.
this time of year we get santa ana winds. can be anything from 6.5 down to 3.0. its suppose to blow wed. thur friday. call me and i will let you know what to look for. its tricky but worth it if you get it right. last week i sail 5.5 for half a day. it was still going when i left. i got bored cause i was the only one out......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: