myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
A Frightening Discovery about Windsurfers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that if I waited long enough that a savvy sailor like Kevin would offer the consummate post here. Very well presented, indeed.

However, I would like to offer maybe a little twist to things. Particularly on the concept of the "soul sailor" I would put maybe a different spin on things, kind of being additional to the concept of the dedicated "wavesailor".

Being an older guy that surfed hard for a real long time before discovering windsurfing, I've gotten my fair share of the wave scene up close and serious, and that doesn't make my ideal now. Windsurfing for me was an opportunity to break out of the in tight wave scene and move out and about, kind of a soulful freedom to let things rip in an open ocean environment. While I'm also into coming in and snagging some wave when the situation favors that, I like to appreciate free open ocean scenarios, often with an upwind exploratory adventure thrown in.

Lastly, on the "in close" freestyle stage, it's been my observation that B&F sailors (it took me a bit to figure that out too) do exactly the same thing. I wonder if the juncture of both styles might just be exacerabing the immediate scene a bit. From my point of view, I think I'm more focused on the marriage of the kiting scene in the game. Their presence on the outside and inside must be watched closely, especially during their transitions.
theq

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Their presence on the outside and inside must be watched closely, especially during their transitions.

Agreed. I had a kiter make an "on a dime" transition right in front of me, and came right at me, last year. We were inches from a collision, not feet. I think that kiters have many more distractions than a windsurfer. The most obvious being the constant awareness of where their kite is in the power arc. I'd think that extra eyes would be about the only thing that would help that. Other than that, it's just giving a lot of space to others.
Cold wind's calling.
theQ
jse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching Tyson sail I'm amazed how close he cuts it when he does his moves. I think it might have something to do with how freestyle competitions are judged. I think they want to be able to make as much use of the course as possible, so they need to be able to bust them at the last minute, often right under the judges noses. Gets noticed.

Steve
nealpar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I knew that if I waited long enough that a savvy sailor like Kevin would offer the consummate post here. Very well presented, indeed..

Rolling Eyes

I personally thought Qman's post was the most devastatingly fascinating, poignant, touching and worthwhile reading. It touched my soul, then reverbarated throughout my being, then it ping-ponged up and down through all of my chakras. Ahhhh, it was a dizzying ecstasy for my mind......and when I read it for the 37th time, I found NEW MEANING in it. Laughing
(Q-man, I'm not picking on you...just trying to make a point about this topic)

...which is that it's an idiotic topic.

Peace out. From "Teampussy.org"
gerritt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teampussy - where do I sign up? I'm too much of a pussy to try any fin first moves. The only forward loops I've ever completed were completely by accident and so frightening my wennie turtled and wouldn't come out for hours. Thus, I feel I should be included as an honorary member; both for having the proper attitude, and actual ownership of a pussy, if only for a few hours.
Wind_Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
Teampussy - where do I sign up? I'm too much of a pussy to try any fin first moves. The only forward loops I've ever completed were completely by accident and so frightening my wennie turtled and wouldn't come out for hours. Thus, I feel I should be included as an honorary member; both for having the proper attitude, and actual ownership of a pussy, if only for a few hours.

Now that is some funny S**T! You might be on your way to being a free-styler, if only by accident.
andydavis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Freestyle vs B&F Reply with quote

I am B&F only, but I would FS if I could Sad
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding theq's initial post, I was very tempted to comment, as I also have absolutely no interest in performing freestyle tricks. In fact, I don't think that even tried a short board tack in all my years of windsurfing. I stopped tacking as a maneuver when I unloaded my longboard back in 1987.

However, you have to hand it to those younger folks that practice a trick to the point of insanity to master it. Without a doubt, it takes a particular mindset and a whole lot of tenacity to work up a repertoire of tricks.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

learning tricks like learning anything... just like learning to jibe... it just takes practice and commitment, and it feels good to get over the fear and learn something new. i remember learning to jibe, and it was the same set of fears... falling over and over again, making seemingly zero progress, wondering if it's all worth it, finally making one and wondering how long it will be until you make your next one...

and for most of us, the "freestyle" progression started w/ the duck jibe... and then the heli tack. we have guys here in the bay area in the 40s and 50s going for tricks all the time... it's really great to see, and we have windsurfers in their 20's who have absolutely no interest in it... so it's just about what you want to do... it's never too late to start learning new stuff. and you don't have to go crazy.. there are so many cool, classic carving freestyle moves that just look so sick and don't pose too much danger to ankles, etc...

i can think of two watershed moments for me that got me into trying some freestyle.

1. i saw an old dasher aruba video w/ the abk guys, and I saw them doing the hoss tack... i thought it was the coolest thing ever. i thought it would be amazing if i could ever learn it one day

2. i watched tonky frans sail the hatch on my first trip to the gorge. he was throwing the sweetest duck tacks... i had never seen anything like it before, and i was totally blown away... another one of those "if i could only do that one day" tricks

i honestly never thought i would ever be able to do a vulcan... it just looked way too scary and hard on the ankles (I've had multiple broken ankles and ankle sprains from skateboarding), and it just looked like a bad idea to start trying that kind of stuff.

i guess my point is that i never thought i would go down this path w/ windsurfing, but it feels great to have learned some of those tricks that I admired so much.

i think everybody gets in some sort of a sailing rut... it feels good to break out of it from time to time... and some days it's just nice to out and go B&F... like at Crissy on a flood.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
theq

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar wrote:
swchandler wrote:
I knew that if I waited long enough that a savvy sailor like Kevin would offer the consummate post here. Very well presented, indeed..

Rolling Eyes

I personally thought Qman's post was the most devastatingly fascinating, poignant, touching and worthwhile reading. It touched my soul, then reverbarated throughout my being, then it ping-ponged up and down through all of my chakras. Ahhhh, it was a dizzying ecstasy for my mind......and when I read it for the 37th time, I found NEW MEANING in it. Laughing
(Q-man, I'm not picking on you...just trying to make a point about this topic)

...which is that it's an idiotic topic.

Peace out. From "Teampussy.org"

You think that one was fascinating...

The mystery is killing me. Which posts are people referring to? Why is everybody always picking on me? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Wink

Heck, I've tried to find the nealpar-referenced website but just haven't had any luck. I even tried A-teampussy, B-teampussy,...S-teampussy, and so on. I even tried Tamepussy.org, in case their was such a creature. I just can't seem to find any sites with the word "pussy" in them. Maybe I'm looking in all the wrong places. Anyone else having any luck? Perhaps there's something wrong with my browser? I thought that Google could find anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: