myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ezzy skinny mix/match?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
michal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Ezzy skinny mix/match? Reply with quote

Anybody has any experience with matching very different pices of Ezzy skinnies? How about 400 bottom with 460 top or 340 bottom with 400 top? How far can you go before affecting something?

Whats the best combo for 3.2-5.8 range with 4.7 being the most used? It seems to be a full 400 + 340 bottom and 460 top?
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: RE: Ezzy skinny mix/match? Reply with quote

I usually put a 400 top with 430 bottom on one of my rigs (422 luff 5.0)....and think it goes well, but if you get really radical (460 + 400) you will change the bend curve too much for an effective sail.....doubt
that you would hurt the mast
bradj

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Ezzy skinny mix/match? Reply with quote

i emailed ezzy about this, match a 370 and 430 or 400 and 460 and they said it was just fine. ive never used the combos though....

if you have the pieces, try it, if it sails fine, it sails fine.. if not, you need to buy more pieces
michal

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: RE: Ezzy skinny mix/match? Reply with quote

I have also emailed Ezzy (ezzy@gorge.net and david@ezzy.com) and got a very detailed and quick response, the same day! It is so cool when you can talk to the peole that build your rig!

Here is the reply:

Yes, you can mix the mast with two size jumps.

The little sails sure rig easier using a shorter mast, but you could do the following arrangement if you wanted to economize.

Note. The key is to determine which size sail is your most used one, and build your mast quiver around that ideal sail getting the highest performance mast.

Here is a suggestion with your 5.2 being your most used sail.

3.3 – 370 tip/370 bottom

3.7 – 370 tip/370 bottom

4.2 – 370 tip/370 bottom

4.7 – 430 tip/370 bottom

5.2 – 430 tip/430 bottom

5.8 – 430 tip/430 bottom

Total masts – 370 complete and a 430 complete

One other option would be to trim down the number of sails you are using. You would be taking advantage of the range of the sails this way. It makes it easier to decide what to rig!

3.5 – 370 tip/370 or 340 bottom

4.2 – 370 tip/370 bottom

5.0 – 430 tip/370 bottom

5.8 – 430 tip/430 bottom

Let me know if this helps,

Tim
gavin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: RE: Ezzy skinny mix/match? Reply with quote

I read the responses and the only thing that I can add is that when there are 2 or more mast combination choices, it can get even more detailed. Go to the mix/match page for Ezzy Masts: it is at: http://www.ezzy.com/2006/masts/mixmatch.cfm
See where there are up to 2 or 3 different combinations? Now, I find, (and that may just me )(I have all the pieces, except the biggest and the smallest masts) that a longer top section may help me get on plane faster in marginal conditions, probably because its a bit stiffer than the shorter top piece. However, a shorter top piece will twist off a little bit sooner and therefore might be a little more controllable in overpowering conditions. I suspect that body weight plays a large factor. Hope that this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: