myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Good day on Cape Cod?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scooper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Good day on Cape Cod? Reply with quote

Did anyone get out at Chapin, Mayflower,etc.? I couldnt get away but it looked like it would have been a great day!
beachdoser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: RE: Good day on Cape Cod? Reply with quote

Hopefully, Ill be sailing today futher out on the cape. I have a hard time figuring out why you want to know what happened yesterday at beaches you wish you were sailing but couldnt. Check the windmeter readings for yesterday on this website if you are that interested. You dont have to be a paying customer to do that.
flaherty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: RE: Good day on Cape Cod? Reply with quote

Yesterday ,Monday , was sweet at Chapin. Tide was perfect, waves at the break were smallish, but fun, and good ramps for starboard jumping.
I was using a 4.4, most were on 5.0. Switched to my smaller wave ( 72 liter) later in the afternoon.
scooper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: RE: Good day on Cape Cod? Reply with quote

Basicly, when I cant sail I can still enjoy it vicariously and maybe learn a little about some sites that Im interested in. Windmeter readings wont tell me whether the waves had gotten big after 2 days of good north to northeast winds, how crowded it was, if that wind direction was good for jumps, any down the line riding, anyone devoured by sharks, any jet ski attacks? etc. This kind of stuff keeps me out of trouble during the week while Im waiting for another chance to hit the water on the weekend.
beachdoser

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: RE: Good day on Cape Cod? Reply with quote

Actually, you can optain wave heights and periods from various locations, buoys, etc. from NOAA and other services. If you want a vicarious experience, Ill give it to you. I went out yesterday in Wacko Bay. The water has cooled down. The beaches about which you inquired must have had much colder water. Was that in Flahertys report? The wind was also cold and very gusty. I checked yesterdays wind meter readings from Chappy which in a N.E. would be calmer than Wacko. As widely predicted it was gusting to over 25 m.p.g. with full lulls and an average somewhere near 15 m.p.g. Mostly flat, the bay water did have some very weird chop near the channel outlet to the sound when the incoming current was strongest. I rigged an 8.4 suspecting that it would be difficult in the full gusts. At first it was rather brutal, but I kept upwind which was futher into the Bay. Once the winds moderated as predicted, I had an easier time of it, getting up on a plane in a number of the stronger gusts and sailing most of the Bay downwind of the boat moorings. The important fact was that except for one small fishing boat, I had the bay to myself: no kiters, no clamers, no crouded parking lot. The icing on the cake was that I found two live clams when I arrived at low tide. The Gulls and resident Bald Eagle had not gotten around to them, and theyll make a great lunch today.
trburl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: RE: Good day on Cape Cod? Reply with quote

See? Was that so hard beachdoser? Sharing your stoke and how good your day was is half the fun. I for one feel great to know that someone got it when I couldnt. I mean sh*t man, at least a windsurfer was on it and asking about it. Nice work scooper, keep up the positive energy! The more you are happy for your fellow sailors, the more fun you have, pure n simple...... Unless of course, you are The Grinch.
robgray

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: RE: Good day on Cape Cod? Reply with quote

He found a clam!!
spyder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: RE: Good day on Cape Cod? Reply with quote

You sail in the right bay alright...Wacko Bay.

Good luck with the clams.
beachdoser

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Good day on Cape Cod? Reply with quote

Actually, it was two huge quohogs. Its like Dunkerdork stated in his Extreme Summer I-max interview, >>we feel so good once we get out of the water.<< This was not the best day of sailing Ive seen.
spyder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: RE: Good day on Cape Cod? Reply with quote

yeah it sounds a bit like out of the windsurf hall of horror to me.

and is that (m.p.g.) Miles Per Gallon ? kinda a weird wind reading.

gotta love the clams..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: