myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing to Catalina
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing to Catalina Reply with quote

Catalina Express would be a good sponsor. Also, talk to Chris, (www.clewfirst.com).
Im only 17 and this is only my second year of windsurfing in the straps and harness. (I have been windsurfing in lakes w/longboards since 2001) But Ive already sailed in some pretty knarly conditions.

Email: akoutzoukis@gmail.com
peter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing to Catalina Reply with quote

Hey Scot Carter I remeber doing that event. That was relly fun. I also sailed back from the Avalon to Belmont Shores with a few sailor in the early 90s PJ
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing to Catalina Reply with quote

lol, heres what Chris says:
Have fun guys. I recommend the following accessory for the journey:

http://www.neptunic.com

Enjoy
c
Juerg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing to Catalina Reply with quote

as long we keep the speed in the 40 knots the shark can not catch us..... , still lets do this. Any comments from some long time SOCAL guys about the sharks between Cabrillo and Catalina or long point Palos Verdes and Catalina?

juerg
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing to Catalina Reply with quote

I honestly never even thought about sharks untill Chris brought it up. I have been surfing and bodyboarding forever in SoCal and never even worried about it.
Juerg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing to Catalina Reply with quote

done deal we will do it contact ryan from www.windsurfdeal.com

juerg
RPM7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing to Catalina Reply with quote

Scott, can you recommend a good setup for the trip? What size of board and sail would you suggest? Is a longboard a good or a bad idea out there on a decently windy day? Thanks! I have some other questions for ya if you dont mind. Please PM me if you get the chance.
van1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: RE: Windsurfing to Catalina Reply with quote

FYI there is a small resident population of great whites at Catalina. Most are the smaller variety, 15 feet or less. The LA county lifeguards are aware of them but dont make it common knowledge. I would avoid, if possible, the isthmus (specifically bird rock) and the slide/quarry area at the east end. As for the channel, I would only be concerned about the larger Makos but I dont beleive they are too common.
tropixman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Try Waverunners as support boats Reply with quote

My wife and I went over to Catalina on our WaverRunner last year and it only took us an hour. My waverunner tops out at 60 MPH and is super manuverable. I understand the length/height of a windsurfboard isn't that great to moor up to a waverunner, but in a pinch it would make a support boat that can keep up with you and be quick to respond to any problems. Having true (boston whalers) support boats with radio/radar is really worth having. Also, having a marine radio on your lifejacket is a must.
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Windsurfing to Catalina Reply with quote

van1 wrote:
FYI there is a small resident population of great whites at Catalina. Most are the smaller variety, 15 feet or less. The LA county lifeguards are aware of them but dont make it common knowledge. I would avoid, if possible, the isthmus (specifically bird rock) and the slide/quarry area at the east end. As for the channel, I would only be concerned about the larger Makos but I dont beleive they are too common.

Yeah, 15 feet is not big at all Shocked I'm scared now haha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: