myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cccold!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterk123

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Cccold! Reply with quote

What's up with this weather? April has to be the worst month of the year. It threatens to warm up and then slamms you with snow. I am actually getting to the point where I am considering sailing in forty degree weather.

Needed to rant. Nobody at work unerstands the pain I am feeiling right now.

Peter
nies

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: cold weather sailing Reply with quote

We've been sailing for weeks up here in the FInger Lakes in 40 -45 degrees. The solution is a dry suit, hood, boots and mittens and a willingness to get by that finger numbing first 15 minutes. The trick is to take a break and give your hands a chance to warm up. Once that happens you are golden. I wear a BARE Polar dry and my friend uses an O'Neil dry suit, both work fine. As long as the ice is gone you're good to go. It's not perfect, but it does beat not sailing at all.
peterk123

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nies,

Talk to me about the mitts you wear. I never found one that worked well.
scooper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Surfing Mittens Reply with quote

I've been sailing every weekend since early March in New England. It's been upper thirties to upper forties. Mittens is the most important thing. I have O'Neill surfing mittens. They're thick and very warm but they cut down on the grip. I often wear them for awhile to get my hands toasty then switch to glacier gloves to get better grip for awhile and back and forth. I carry both with me on the water. Also- Bare polar drysuit with 3 layers on top, bootliners, thick booties, and I duct tape the booties to the drysuit leg to reduce water infiltration. It takes extra work but I love being out there.
JRuffus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GLACIER GLOVES ARE THE BEST. THEY ARE NOW PRECURVED, DURABLE AND WARM AS HELL. PROVEN TO WORK WHEN ITS 18 DEGREES OUT AND 4.7, DID IT A BUNCH. INSANE.

ITS ALL IN THE HEAD- DONT BE A PUSSY, GET OUT THERE AND GET SOME.
JRuffus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the dakine mits for a while but the palm seemed wicked slippery especially if there was ice on the booms. I found the glacier glove sticks better to the ice when it builds up on the boom, which is a problem when its under 28 degrees in salt water. I guess for the warm days like 32 and up the mits would be okay, but for 15 degrees to 28 the glacier gloces have better tack.

its always fun. You would not go skiing without a hat right? no difference windsurfing, you need to dress accordingly. I dont understand what the big deal is?

Seriously why is it aceptable for people to ski in 5 degrees but windsurf in 15 degrees people scarf at the idea. Dont get it. never have. never will.
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Yesterday, I was down at kalmus. It was cold and windy..."

Brucie, did you run into Broadreach there? You must have, since he's so close. He's in this thread, too. Rolling Eyes
JRuffus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing I do know is i have been a member of iwindsurf since 2001 and looks like most of you are from 2005 maybe 2002.

so whatever i say is correct, cause i am the oldest member. My tenier(spelling) means, listen to me.
feuser

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JRuffus wrote:
one thing I do know is i have been a member of iwindsurf since 2001 and looks like most of you are from 2005 maybe 2002.

so whatever i say is correct, cause i am the oldest member. My tenier(spelling) means, listen to me.

Hey oldtimer. Are you back in NE?
Have you got your 2007 KAs yet?

I am probably going to the CCFF again this year - hope to see you there.

FF

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
JRuffus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAck in NEw england...ahh what a bummer, Florida was soooo much nicer!!!!!!!!! oh well, do what we can. I didnt get the new 07 KA's yet!!! long story.

did you ride them yet?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: