myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
A Frightening Discovery about Windsurfers
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: A Frightening Discovery about Windsurfers Reply with quote

Yesterday while enjoying a nice 5.7 session out a MB (That's Pt. Isabel, Marina Bay Launch) I had some time to think. (that's what us B&F sailors do when sailing) and came to a frighening discovery......

There is a big craze right now for freestylers. And if you aren't one, you aren't even worth mentioning. But what is it about freestylers? They go out a short distance, turn around, then come back in and do some kind of trick where everybody can see them. Then they go back out a short distance, turn around and come in and do another trick where everybody can see them. In a way they almost reach B&F status if it wasn't for the tricks. BUT what does this remind you of????? JET SKIERS!!!

Jet Skiers (I used to be one before discovering windsurfing) has three types. The ones that just love to go out and dissapear for an hour or more (just like B&F sailors). The ones that like to sit on the beach, drink beer, hope to pick up chicks, and not really ride. And the ones that seem to think the only place they can ride is right off the shore where all the people can watch how cool (and noisy) they are.

Now doesn't this remind you of freestylers??? They always have to hang out near the shore where the people (and maybe if lucky cameras) are. So my question is if a freestyler goes out more than 200 yards from the shore and does a trick all by themselves, did the trick really happen???? Kind of like the the question "does the refrigerator light really turn off when you shut the door".

Now I equate the B&F sailors to the "soul surfer" image (I've seen way too many surfing movies). It's the enjoyment of being out, powered by the wind, and skipping along the surface at 20+ mph. Kind of a Zen thing.......

What do you think and which are you?
jse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think freestylers are the epitome (sp?) of balance, control, sail handling and skill. When I saw my son (freestyler) doing heli-tacks on a 3.5 day in the gorge, I was impressed. Spocks? Grubby's? Flaka's? Shaka's (my personal favorite)? They just blow my mind. I'm a modified B&F sailor. B&F is ok, but I'm more into exploring and going from Pt. a to Pt. b. We do that when we sail upwind to the outside of Brooks Island. Hell, if all I did was sail from PI to MB and back all day, I would have quit the sport years ago. Sailing from Berkeley all the way to Brooks Island, alone or with a friend is the free spirit you talk about.

I would not even go near comparing freestylers to jet-skiers. If I land a huge jump out above Brooks Island, who cares if anyone sees it. It's a rush. I'm sure the stylers feel the same way. Take a look at Tyson, Rob, Wyatt, or any of the Berkeley crowd when they do their thing. I'm sure they're doing it for the rush, the skill improvement, and at the very least, to see who is watching. As long as I'm sailing the way I do now, I'll never be that good. And I've been doing it for 30 years. It really inspires me. I'm going to try something this season and get it. Maybe it's just my heli-tack. Personally, if I could do a Shove-it, I'd be satisfied.

Steve
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the best place to practice a new move is in shallow water so you use less energy getting up again. Most freestylers crash way more often than they land when learning. Freestylers, B&J, BAF or exporers (Formula), who cares? If they are smiling that is all that counts. Do you really care if the frig light is on or off when you are away?

I don't mind them doing their moves near shore, it gives great entertainment between sessions. Heck, I even watch the kiters. Once I'm on the water I don't even notice them at all.

Coachg
rwilde

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freestyle guys and girls like to find the flattest water they can . Which is usually close to the launch.It is a different way of sailing and you have to put in a ton of time trying these moves so by sailing short runs I think you get more chances to throw some moves.Also freestyle guys usually sail together , like all sailors, because its' a lot more fun and helps to push there limits. What you see as showing off is just the "level" these sailors are at. Do you like to sail with your friends , ripping around having fun? Of course, life is stressful enough . Windsurfing makes everyone happy regardless of the level of windsurfer they are. The great think about windsurfing is we are all into that buzz of stepping off the beach and planning with nothing but are imaginations to hold us back. Lets remember we are all into the same sport. Thanks for your time ! Aloha Rich
rationalnational

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell is so frightening ? I think it's awesome. It's a progressive facet and there is nothing wrong with it. It's made wave sailing very exciting with these moves thrown in.

keep it coming. I believe it's made the kitrosexuals aware that windsurfing is a great sport, too.
Wind_Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've personally tried a few moves, and I'll tell you, it's F***ing hard! So I give the stylers credit. I enjoy ripping, catchin air, and attempting back loops, but what these guys do is impressive!

The up side to Freestyle is I think it makes windsurfing more appealing to somebody who's never seen it. Sure, a lot of people get into kiting because it looks cool w/ big airs! BUT, it's like I heard a pro freestyler say once, any trick a kiter can do I can do hanging from a string tied to a tree.....try that with windsurfing!?
ericwelty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THINK ABOUT IT, IF YOUR DOING TRICKS, THE ODDS ARE ALOT HIGHER OF GETTING HURT THAN JUST CRUIZING. IF ONE GETS HURT , DO YOU WANT TO BE A HALF MILE OUT OR NEAR SHORE. AS FAR AS JET SKI AND WINDSURFING ' GET REAL ' NOT EVEN CLOSE. A 90 YEAR OLD GRANDMOTHER COULD SIT ON A JET SKI AND GO .

I ALSO LIKE WATCHING FREESTYLERS AND I'M A WAVE SAILOR.

HAVE FUN AND DO YOUR OWN THING ERIC
theq

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that I'd make the comparison of the free-stylers to a jet-skier, but I see what you're getting at. People all appreciate different aspects of windsurfing. It's just some have a diminishing return of jollies from doing the same thing over and over again. I'm not one of them. I enjoy doing the same thing over and over again.

Nobody will deny that the level of difficulty for many of those freestyle moves is quite high. It's impressive what these people do. That said, it's just not my thing. Intuition seems to tell me that it would be too easy to blow knees and angles doing that stuff. Heck, I blew my knee out exiting a wave a few years ago.

I know that what I do on the water is probably boring to everyone but me. The sport needs some flashiness in order to compete with kiting for the spotlight. Free-styling is good for such things.

Me, I won't even spend the time working on a short-board tack, and that serves a purpose for my style of sailing. Obviously, I'm not bragging.
I've always surfed more naturally on a single-fin surfboard, and enjoy surfing without a leash sometimes. I guess we're just a couple of purists. Perhaps that's just a euphemism of sorts. Who knows? It's ALMOST all good.

Bow for wind.
victor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frightening? get over your guilt for having been a jet skier, johnl. you have done your pennence by learning to waterstart.

i'm glad they do those moves up close where i can see them. it can get a little annoying at the access trying to come in through the playpen. not any more annoying than the hero jibers that need a hundred yards to turn around. i think they're much more like jet skiers.

johnl specifically mentions pt.isabell/marina bay. the times i was there last season most of the hot shots were out by the sand bar . what pissed me off about that was that some of them acted like they discovered that place and own it. they're wrong. i discovered it and i own it<g>, but they can still do their tricks there if they play nice.
jp5

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freestyling just might be the thing to bring new blood into our sport. Let's face it, we've lost too many recruits to kiting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: