myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Topic.... Okay what is it about Windsurfers???
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: New Topic.... Okay what is it about Windsurfers??? Reply with quote

Okay look at the stats on this message board. Two messages have exceeded 4000 reads. One about a possible confrontation at Coyote (and has gone off into WMD and gun carrying windsurfers) and the other one is about Maui (and maybe not being able to sail there).

So I have come to the conclusion that windsurfers are drawn to confrontation and love Maui. What happened to the peace loving guy and gals who just wanted to hang out and enjoy the wind?

Seem accurate???
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think windsurfers are drawn to confrontation but there are a lot of people who want to recreate on the water doing different things and that is bound to create confrontation on some level. If you will notice the surfers who posted are used to that kind of thing because for years that is how they dealt with too few waves and too many people wanting to ride them. While some people avoid or shy away from confrontation, others embrace it. My personal experience from 40 years of surfing and 14 years of windsurfing is that windsurfers are a pretty mellow bunch, with one or two exceptions.
jse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

You might want to skip on over to the Northwest forum and check out the "Old Geezers" thread.

Steve
mountainbear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have kill them all! And who are you? Evil or Very Mad
victor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kokopeli,

you had to go and tell us about a longer thread. 13 pages! i think i noticed it about two years ago and it's still going.

i'm never going to get any work done.

i'm also surprised there are so many old geezers on the beach, so few shred betties and even fewer geezerettes. (i hope i didn't offend anyone but you know who you are)

it should be more like the infield at nascar. does my harness make my butt look big? don't the women know we have to be filthy rich to afford all this equipment and time off?

somebody get the word out.
wndsrfrmn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing is religion for many of us. We look to the sky for signs. A shaking of the leafs in a tree on a sunny morning could be an omen that our next meditation session will be that afternoon. When we are surfing the wind and the waves we often have no time to think except about the wind and the wave we are riding. When that ramp pops up in front of us we instinctively jump or jibe; sometimes without thinking.

There is plenty of wind and water for everyone. It seems like most of the confrontations happen at the access sites. Getting in and getting out is where we are vulnerable. We are in such close proximity to each other that accidents are bound to happen.

Accidents are bound to happen. They do happen when two are not paying attention or when one is getting crazy. A couple of weekends ago Sherman Island was howling. I was coming into the launch, fast, near the sailboat (what is up with the sailboat wreck?) ready to jibe. As usual there were a lot of beginners and people taking breaks in the water. Upwind a kiter threw a huge jump and like a pendulum he was heading for a landing exactly where I was going to be. I carved upwind hard and missed him by a couple feet. I could tell by the look of terror that he had not intended to fly so far. He was a good kiter just getting a little crazy. He tacked by me a little while later and apologized. I replied, "A miss is good as a mile".

There is room enough for all of us, the windsurfer, kiter, fisherman, wakeboarder, whatever your denomination. Pay attention and don't get too crazy. Just be grateful for the wind, the waves, the water, and your fellow to share it with.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The confrontational aspect is simple with windsurfing. Its like being a drug addict. You walk around in a funk all day, pretending to be interested in what your wife or boss is saying , but all you are really thinking about is it going to be windy later, and where am I going to go. When it becomes apparent its not going to be windy, or your wife puts the kibosh on your addiction, us windsurfers become really cranky and unpleasant very quickly. this explains all the keyboard warriors on this website, like me.

Boggsman
madspaniard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
The confrontational aspect is simple with windsurfing. Its like being a drug addict. You walk around in a funk all day, pretending to be interested in what your wife or boss is saying , but all you are really thinking about is it going to be windy later, and where am I going to go. When it becomes apparent its not going to be windy, or your wife puts the kibosh on your addiction, us windsurfers become really cranky and unpleasant very quickly. this explains all the keyboard warriors on this website, like me.

Boggsman

Oh boy, that is exactly the story of my life since I discovered this sport
victor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have seen very little attitude between windsurfers regardless of the individuals' professional and doemstic situation or level of intoxication. especially compared to other activiities.

i spent a weekend on pismo beach with about a thousand fishermen, kiters and off roaders. talk about a confrontational group. yikes! there were old ladies in lawn chairs shouting insults apparently at anyone who could hear. the carbon monoxide and 24/7 rumble of sand buggies and quads put everyone on edge.

and the surfers with thier sharp pointed little boards ready to impale anyone in thier way. i'd cop an attitude too if i had to sit for hours in cold sharky water in order to compete for a 4 second ride on a 1' wave.
diannesf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New Topic.... Okay what is it about Windsurfers??? Reply with quote

johnl wrote:

So I have come to the conclusion that windsurfers are drawn to confrontation and love Maui. What happened to the peace loving guy and gals who just wanted to hang out and enjoy the wind?

Seem accurate???

The peace loving guys and gals are working and windsurfing. The confrontational are posting 10 or more rants every day. The same guys that love to see their opinions (whether on topic or not) in print are probably the ones who think they are jumping 10 feet in the air and impressing people when in reality they just cleared their fin. Maybe.

BTW, there are plenty of women out there. And they respond a lot better to 'hi, how are you' or 'would you like a beer' than to showing off and agressive attitudes. Unless, of course, you actually can do cool tricks, do them with a big smile, and do them with the attitude that you're sharing space with everyone. Being nice goes a long way, with people on the beach and in the water. Yep, I know I'm not being nice right now either. Must be because I'm at work and it's getting windy...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: