myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tabou Rocket 105 - Comparing 2009 vs 2008?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fenyves

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Tabou Rocket 105 - Comparing 2009 vs 2008? Reply with quote

I am considering purchasing a Tabou Rocket 105 board. I can get either the 2008 or 2009 model. Can anyone please tell me the difference between the two? I am particularly interested in knowing two things: how they perform in light chop and how fast will each go when planning flat out. I sail in the San Francisco Bay Area, usually at Coyote Point. The big issue there is having to sail into the chop when the  wind is blowing from the West. How do the two boards compare under those conditions?

While you are at it, perhaps you can tell me how in the Rocket 105 board compares to the JP X-Cite Ride 100 (2009 and 2008) in the same two areas.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabou has evolved the Rocket line, so small tweaks 08--09, every test I have seen on any size has been great, highly recommended. Lots of options with footstraps, more 09 double concave, early planer, good upwind, standard fins are Cobra produced but MFC designed, good for a standard, easy ,comfortable ride and fast. I have not sailed a smaller Rocket than my 115, a friend has the 95, and did well at Rio Vista with it, the smaller sizes have been a little more allround oriented. the 09 does have the new footstraps, is easy to adapt to. it is a freeride more than crossover, but if thats what you want its exceptional.

not sure the Rocket or JP is the best choice for the Bay area, but quite a lot depends on your weight and expected sail size.

maybe a 3S in 97L ?

The X-Cite Ride , a highly rated line, will be slower, turn with less sharpness.

I saw your same request on Tabou forum, will let someone else take a turn there.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
fenyves

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try outs in the 3S.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a dealer in the Bay Area, Rebecca ?

is it Boards something school ? out of Coyote Pt ?

seems very knowledgeable on Tabou

benpfree1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have a nice new condition tabou 3S97 ltd edition that I'm trying to sell. See the iwindsurf classifieds under wave boards. E-mail me directly at benjaminpink@gmail.com for more info. thanks.
FredFX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabou~R2 wrote:
there is a dealer in the Bay Area, Rebecca ?

is it Boards something school ? out of Coyote Pt ?

seems very knowledgeable on Tabou

boardsportsschool.com
GarryW

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that I'd jump to say that I've got an '08 Rocket 105 LTD for sale listed in the classifieds. From what I understand there is little difference from '08 to '09. I hope there isn't much change because I love the '98 Rocket. I live in The Gorge and weigh 220lbs. So for me it's my big board and primary ride. The board eats chop for breakfast like no other board I've ridden. I often ride it with a 4.7 on those extreme up and down days with no problem and can also blast around on a light day with a 6.2. It handles Gorge swells with ease and I've even rode it on the Oregon Coast and Maui. Of course having the LTD construction doesn't hurt either.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice description on the Rocket

the weight of the 2 sailors may be important here

3Ss, Rocket 115 all for sale.

PM if interested

Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you'll notice much difference between the '08 and '09 105 liter Rockets. As R2 said, your weight plays into your choice of Rocket vs 3S vs X-cite more than anything else. The Rocket is the fastest of the three, but if you weigh 170 or less, it might get bumpy in the chop you describe. The 3S 107 is one (small) notch down in speed, but one (big) notch up in control and comfort in rough water conditions. The X-Cite is nowhere close to either Tabou board for all out speed, but probably the smoothest and easiest in the turns and chop.

hope that helps Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: