myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Delamination of gaastra race foil
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jabez

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Delamination of gaastra race foil Reply with quote

hello
I have a 1988 gaastra race foil that is delaminating,can it still be used,or repaired? Does the delamination take the shape out of the sail?
thanks jabez
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delamination of the polyester film from the dacron will not "take out" any shape, but it is a sign to replace your sail. The other sign is that 22 years have gone by.

Seriously, if there ever is motivation to see what a new rig can do for your fun, perhaps this might be your sign?
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google up Windance used sails. You can buy vastly greater performance than any 22-yo sail will provide for less than the cost of chasing repairs on a sail that old. Here's one example in the size range you're seeking:

http://tinyurl.com/2eaq2kg

I'm sure you'll also find some great deals with lesser shipping costs closer to home by Googling Hatteras used windsurf. Example:
http://tinyurl.com/2cjq5k6

Mike \m/
jabez

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: delamination of gaastra race foil 8.4 Reply with quote

Thanks to those who replied. I bought this sail new fopr $25.00,I have had it for about 6 years,I use it in low wind on an equipe. In wind from 3-12 mph there is not a modern 8.5 sail out there that has the same low end power of the gaastra race foil. I have tried the GTX,sailworks,aerotech,and a np 8.5
if someone can tell me of an 8.5 that has same low end power as the race foil,I will buy it. Only if it is xply,monofilm sails are junk!
jabez
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to sound like a smart arse

you certainly have gotten your moneys worth from your beloved Gaastra

I would find it pretty hard to believe that a modern , read less than 5 YO sail in this size would not perform better OVERALL.

I don't sail stuff this big but a Ezzy Freeride or Sailworks Retro or HotSails Maui Speed Demon//GPS would be in my immediate future

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
outcast

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUMPSTER!
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ... or a friendlier rigging surface for the parking lot.

Mike \m/
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: delamination of gaastra race foil 8.4 Reply with quote

jabez wrote:
Thanks to those who replied. I bought this sail new fopr $25.00,I have had it for about 6 years,I use it in low wind on an equipe. In wind from 3-12 mph there is not a modern 8.5 sail out there that has the same low end power of the gaastra race foil. I have tried the GTX,sailworks,aerotech,and a np 8.5
if someone can tell me of an 8.5 that has same low end power as the race foil,I will buy it. Only if it is xply,monofilm sails are junk!
jabez

Try the Gaastra Plasma Technora.

Or, for a sail that feels strangely like it arrived from 1988, check out the Severne Glide. I've sailed the Severne and absolutely did not like it, but my dislike was because it felt almost exactly like the old Gaastra Racefoils! That's not a bad thing, of course, but a very, very niche feel. It does have a lot more speed and range, but not enough to give up that awesome low-end grunt you treasure. And, no monofilm.
dhmark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For low end power find more about Ezzy Zephyr, their specialty low-end longboard sail. Only comes in 7.5, they claim it has power of 8.5 (a modern 8.5) I think it does, so maybe not powerful enough for you. dhmark
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just threw out my '88 Racefoil 5.7 2 weeks ago.
Was RegionalRider for 3 years, then National for one.
Nothing beats it for 13-18mph breezes, 100 liter light wind slalom board go fast.
Closest is GaastraSprint (??), double small cam, long boom, short height. Mine is a 5.5, so not really a fair comparison. Racefoil boom was over 200, 5.5's 193, so a relatively huge loss of low end, but a gain in top end up to over 23.
Delam no biggee, but it looks like crap and the shape is ugly. Still, loaded with moderate wind, tis good and fast.
Basically, it's a 6.6 without the heaviness, and a little short on top end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: