myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Winter Wetsuit
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carve111

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Winter Wetsuit Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm looking for a wetsuit for sailing through the winter in Vancouver. Any recommendations/opinions?

I've looked at the Promotion 5/3 but I'm a little concerned it might not be warm enough. Promotion also sells a drysuit, has anyone here tried it?

The O'Neill Windfreak and PsychoFreak look good too, though pricey. Are they worth the money?

NL
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will wear nothing but a drysuit below water temps in the low 50s. Anything less allows icy spinal taps down the neck which send a chill and a shudder from my neck to my feet.

I like the Kokotat Goretex bag suits best, with an oversized Promotion neoprene dry suit next.

Sure, they're spendy, but this is a spendy sport and being cold sucks.

Air temp is almost irrelevant compared to water temp.

Mike \m/
carve111

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

I like the Kokotat Goretex bag suits best, with an oversized Promotion neoprene dry suit next.

Mike \m/

How do you like the Promotion drysuit (that's this http://www.wetsuit.com/store/detail.cfm?product_id=606 one, I assume?) How is it for getting in and out of? Will it last, and are they good about warranty issues?
loosescrew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should definitely check out the O'Neil Assault Hybrid suit. It is a drysuit with a bag top and not that pricey. You can get it at Windance check out their website at Windance.com. They also have the Psycho 5/3 booties totally worth the money. Dave, the owner is a super great guy and he has a great staff to guide you with your needs.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carve111 wrote:
isobars wrote:

Mike \m/

How do you like the Promotion drysuit (that's this http://www.wetsuit.com/store/detail.cfm?product_id=606 one, I assume?) How is it for getting in and out of? Will it last, and are they good about warranty issues?

I've had a few of the model you show, the latest a 2009. That should tell you how much I like them. Their warranty is pretty simple: lifetime on seams, longtime (I forget how long) on material. Their service is exceptional. I buy neoprene dry suits oversized because I do not like skintight suits; this makes them easier to get on and off, more comfortable, and warmer (some air space between it and my skin, and room for extra layer underneath). I returned the O'Neal assault I ordered because its legs were tight and a thinner material than the Promotion.

By Promotion's size charts
(see http://www.wetsuit.com/web/men_sizing.cfm ),
my 5'9+", 190#, 35 waist, and 46" chest (coat size 44 to 46 U.S.) put me somewhere between L and XLS. I ordered an XLS and a XXLS, tried both in my home, kept the XXLS, and returned the XLS. It's loose except where it counts: at the five openings.

My last Promotion was an XLS, which I liked until I bulked up at the gym and the neoprene lost some stretch, as it always does after a few years. Now it fits me like most suits fit their owners, which I do not like. My XXLS goes on and off SO much easier than the suits I see everyone else squirming in and out of.

If you could wear my used XLS, you're welcome to it cheap. It's clean and watertight, with visible splotches of glue over pinholes but no age cracks. It has many good years left in it to a guy just a bit smaller than I or who likes his wetsuits to fit like everybody else does (it has plenty of shoulder room).

Mike \m/
TBird

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Promotion dry suit for years, which I used in the Midwest (water temps in the 40s and 50s in spring). Now that I have the luxury of living in the Gorge, I never sail when the water's that cold, so have switched to a Promotion 5mm wetsuit for spring/fall. Both will keep you warm in cold air, but the drysuit is definitely a bonus for icy water.

Promotion has always been great about warranty issues (sealing a leaky seam, etc), in my experience. Plus they're a Hood River company. Buy local!
andymc4610

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 7/5 wet suit (i like better than the bag drysuit) to 38 deg water but sail when it's sunny or 50 air 5mm dive booties, hood or bennie. for diving in 45/50 deg oregon coast in the winter i use a 7mm wet suit top/farmer.
divot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: winter wetsuit Reply with quote

Ripcurl makes a zipper less 6/4 with an integrated hood..buy it a big as it can be difficult to get off when you can't feel your hands. They also make a sweet 5 mm bootie. Then go down to the Kayak Shed in HR and get the NRS pre curved mittens and you will good into the mid 30's.
WMP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't find Ripcurl in the Gorge any longer, anyone know of a Ripcurl dealer close by?

My current wetsuit, ONeill FLX 5/3 worked great for 2 seasons before the shoulders cracked, so I had Promotion replace the shoulder panels.... awesome job.... worked for another 2 seasons. I combined a titanium vest underneath to stay toasty warm when the water got fridged cold (36*f) in Jan-Feb. Big Winds carries another version of the FLX, but not the same fit as mine, so I'm now looking for something else.... might consider the Promotion drysuit.

- WMP
wdsurf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: winter wetsuit Reply with quote

cleanline surf shop on the oregon coast.i sail on the gret lakes till iceup and the hooded ripcurl 6/5/4 suits are WARMM!!!we go in cold water down to the 30,s and the suits work well. Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: