myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
PROOF: Obama IS the end of the free world
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 407, 408, 409  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not biting on your bait, Mr. G. But, I really dont have an interest in discussing the political response to the news. If you want to have an adult conversation about Middle East policy and the role of USA, it would be welcome. If you're bored on a Tuesday morning, and want to provoke a response from a liberal, you'll have to look elsewhere.
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
.....and the muted response continues. I guess it must be easier to rationalize a war when a Democrat finger is pressing the Cruise Missile button.

You're predictability is so predictable.

keycocker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you don't speak to many libs. They do not always oppose every war any more than GOPs supporting every attack.That is just partisan BS assigning opinions to others.
eight year wars based on an error are different....
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a conservative I wasn't in favor of going into Iraq a second time. I didn't want ground troops in Afghanistan, and this to little too late response in Libya is pathetic.

They should have launced cruise missles 2 weeks ago, and been done with it.

I always thought the peaceful solution to war in the middle east was to close our borders to any immigration from those countries. Lock all of them out of our country, and very few Americans or innocent civilians would have died in the mean time.

Obama's lack of leadership skills is stunning. That also goes for Bush.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Im not biting on your bait, Mr. G. But, I really dont have an interest in discussing the political response to the news. If you want to have an adult conversation about Middle East policy and the role of USA, it would be welcome.

Contrast the volume of the response to this conflict with that to those undertaken by the previous administration. The point is simple.........it's easy to yell, scream and be sanctimonious when you are not making the decisions. This was a difficult decision.....it took too long to make.....but, I believe that the President did what he thought was in the best interests of the country, just as I believe Bush I and II did. It is not a humanitarian mission.......otherwise we would be in Bahrain and Yemen also.......it is about security of oil held by someone we don't like.

Incidentally, Libya is in Africa, not the Middle East.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semantically speaking I have heard people at least as smart as you mention Egypt and Middle East in the same sentence, as well as Libya.
The first official use of the term "Middle East" by the United States government was in the 1957 Eisenhower Doctrine, which pertained to the Suez Crisis. Secretary of State John Foster Dulles defined the Middle East as "the area lying between and including Libya on the west and Pakistan on the east, Syria and Iraq on the North and the Arabian peninsula to the south, plus the Sudan and Ethiopia."[12] In 1958, the State Department explained that the terms "Near East" and "Middle East" were interchangeable, and defined the region as including only Egypt, Syria, Israel, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, and Qatar.[16]
Living in the DC area, I would think you would be familiar with Mr. Dulles words.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:

Incidentally, Libya is in Africa, not the Middle East.

Not universally agreed. I always thought that the Middle East consists of countries in western Asia and northern Africa, generally defined by Muslim populations with the exception of Israel. Let's see what some others say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_East#cite_ref-davison_11-0 (I hate to lead with Wiki, but what the heck!)

http://www.mideastweb.org/countries.htm

http://www.state.gov/p/nea/ci/
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send the Arab league a bill for the 122 cruise missiles, one F15 Eagle, fuel for all the aircraft and ships at sea, and pay for all soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines. We can't be doing this stuff for free any more.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan
Your understanding of what constitutes the Middle East is correct. Some people would say that the Middle East is only Asian countries(mr. G), others would not. Somalia sits about a 9 iron from Yemen, I consider that the Middle East. Egypt , and Libya as well. When Egypt was erupting, I wonder how many world news organizations referred to it as a Middle Eastern event? should they all correct their misstatement?
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:
Send the Arab league a bill for the 122 cruise missiles, one F15 Eagle, fuel for all the aircraft and ships at sea, and pay for all soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines. We can't be doing this stuff for free any more.

Its not free JP. We get to fill up our Suburbans for $75 to take jr. and his buddy to Lacrosse practice in downtown Falls Church. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 407, 408, 409  Next
Page 55 of 409

Jump to: