myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Four Dimensions - the best windsurfing movie [I]ever?[/I]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haterrater

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Four Dimensions - the best windsurfing movie [I]ever?[/I] Reply with quote

Could the new Paskowski/Svennsen windsurf flick "FOUR DIMENSIONS" be the best windsurfing movie to date?

Sure, there's "Hard Wind's a Blowin'"; "RIP"; "KA111, About Time"; The Windsurfing Movie.
But has any other film captured a moment so perfectly or delivered so cleanly, just at the critical moment?

This is more of an Ad for two great ambassadors of the sport than a topic I want to debate (I mean, who doesn't just absolutely love "the windsurfing movie"), but if you've seen the movie as well I'd love some comments.

If you want to make a positive difference in your windsurfing community, buy one copy for yourself, and one copy for that kid down the street. Actually - better make that two copies.

christmas aint over yet!
-the ho-ho-ho-terrater
bates

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four Dimensions is fantastic and the time and money that was spent is impressive. The helicopter shots were great. In terms of being the "best". I enjoyed the freestyle in this way more than in other movies because of the quality and the tricks and riders and the filming angles, the wave shots were great too. I would say overall the windsurf movie was "better", but Four Dimensions was real impressive.
wsurfn1426

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you HR again.

I think it is the best, and I like your other picks as well.

What I personally liked. Other than beautiful shots, use of current video editing and effects, music, etc.... It showcased that our sport is evolving and moving forward. New youthful faces, higher levels of sailing, a few different spots etc.

I especially liked that freestyle got some time, not just waves.

Critical thoughts. Too short. It needed at least one more segment (too bad they did not have one with Philip Koester). I also liked the the old freestyle video action (should have had a tiny bit more) to contrast the how really good Gollito is. Also, they should have included more interview time, especially with Goya and Stone. There is more in the extras part, but I loved hearing their stoke about our sport and ushering in the new school.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give Four Dimensions another endorsement! Sick movie, with action and editing that anyone, windsurfer or not, can appreciate! I showed it to a lot of people when I was traveling over the holidays (young and old, land lubbers and water rats) and everyone was equally impressed and stoked with the flick...

wsurfn- Koester flies the wrong sails and boards to be in the movie...
outcast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard to beat is Peter Trow's "Surface Tension"

Or since Hodad's kicking in.....The Kooks of Hatteras Laughing

human_catapult

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it a lot. I like a lot of the emotion in the movie.

The downsides, to me, are that they are all riders from one brand (which makes it seem like an advertisement), and it's way too short.

It's a toss-up for me between 4-d and The Windsurfing Movie. Both are absolute classics.
haterrater

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H.C,
I hear you on the part of how they are all on the same board sponsor. The unfortunate thing about that there is a good connection between all four of them besides just their windsurfing sponsorship, and I can't think of any other four windsurfers I would want to feature in a movie about the "newest and sickest." With the exception of maybe Klass Voget or possibly Philip Koester, I can't think of any riders who fit the bill nearly as well as those four riders. Even though Andre's skills may not be groundbreaking or anything, he is the biggest ambassador for windsurfing and the leading spokesman for freestyle at the moment.
Also, if it makes anyone feel any better, I have information from a vary reliable source that Boards and More was a relatively minor sponsor for the film.
As for its short length,
I kind of like the brevity of the movie. I can watch one section at a time, which only takes ten minutes or so per rider. If I'm going out and it's going to be nuking side onshore conditions, I pop in victor's section; and if I want to be inspired to work on flakas, then I slap on Gollito's amazing freestyle section --- or I watch the moves in the "trickbook" section of the Extras.
The windsurfing movie is phenomenal, don't get me wrong - but something shorter works just as well, if not better, for me.

thanks for the comments, folks!
-the h.r.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it from a usually reliable source that I will be getting 4Ds for me birthday, will post my review soon......ummm

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcast wrote:

The only video better than Kooks of Hatteras is the sequel, aptly titled "Kooks of Hatteras II." Mark S was WAY before his time with the editing in those vids!
macbarnhardt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: 4D Reply with quote

When is Mark going to make a new Kooks of Hatteras?

hodad.andy wrote:
outcast wrote:

The only video better than Kooks of Hatteras is the sequel, aptly titled "Kooks of Hatteras II." Mark S was WAY before his time with the editing in those vids!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: