myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
5pm Civic Center (SF) to protest cuts to public education
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
It's inevitable that anything Isobars posts will be met with derision by many on this forum.............but his core message is accurate...........we cannot continue to live beyond our means. The cuts occurring in California are being repeated around the country..............something has to change. Most people seem to agree that we need to reduce expenditures, but as soon as their own favorite program is affected, they scream bloody murder. I'm sure the legislators in CA know very well that education cuts will be hugely unpopular..........it's an indication of how dire the situation is that they would go ahead anyway.

The country is in bad fiscal shape.........everyone is going to have to bend.

As I've posted so many times it makes me dizzy, I have nothing personal against Mike. I've never met the guy as far as I know and we probably would enjoy windsurfing together and even talking about politics in person. Keyboards tend to amplify one's intentions and invite strong replies.

On the other hand, Mike has insulted me by my profession as well as my wife by hers. He also uses such creative superlatives that it becomes nearly or actually impossible to discover what he really believes. He's written in the past that he turns harder, shreds harder, etc. than any other windsurfer he know. I'm sure he doesn't believe that literally, but such a statement fits tightly with his use of language when discussing political issues. He also has proved in the past to simply recognize that some of his posts are wrong -even when pointed out directly by others. Surely he could point to times when he accepted a correction, but he posts so voluminously that courtesy at least demands his attention to factual accuracy. I'm specifically thinking of something unrelated to the topic of GW but dealing with First Amendment disputes.

I therefore disagree that Mike's core message is that the US is living beyond his means, even though I'm sure he and most everyone is getting a daily lesson in that right now. I believe that Mike simply enjoys the back and forth and feels that almost nothing ever tied to the ACLU, New York Times or the Democratic Party has merit and deserves his derision. That view, to the extent it applies, and I think it's a reasonably fair analysis, is shortsighted no matter who espouses it. That Mike continues to claim everyone who disagrees with him is a louse only makes my point.

As I said, if Mike and I sat down with a cup of coffee I suspect we could do so without hitting each other with our mugs. What we see here is the disconnect that being so connected causes.
NickB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
...but his core message is accurate...

His core message is "Me! Me! Me!" (brilliantly captured by the logo on his hat, mo)

But that's not his fault it's a sickness, made worse by the arrival of a new conservative sheriff in town, and a seemingly sane one (that's you MrGybe). You're stealing his light, diverting attention from him, folks seem to have a much better time argumenting with you. So that makes him mad and he's crying for help. He's prowling... He's begging for a fight anywhere someone might give him attention.

Now, about bending, so many different ways to bend. Publicly yet peacefully expressing discontent over your state's priorities (e.g. jails vs schools) seems adequate, healthy and potentially fruitful.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Well, you gotta give up something (besides much higher taxes and health care premiums for almost everyone) to fund socialized medicine, GW, free party time (aka college) for everybody, increased welfare for families with incomes up to $82,800, bailing out 7-figure mortgages because the borrower didn't want to dip into his investment portfolio to pay his mortgage, unlimited bailouts for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac ... where the heck did you expect these trillions of dollars to come from ... ME? Bill Gates?"

"1. No one who matters. Only rational adults capable of topical discourse -- and Brucie plus a couple of equally harmless clones -- need apply. If you thought I was just being a smart-ass or playing their games when I warned you about these people months ago, nothing could be farther from the truth. Those heads-ups were very carefully worded factual observations, not rhetoric. The ones I shut out earned that status with months to years of egregious behavior, not a few stupid remarks."

Are the initial remarks offered by isobars in response to NickB initial post "carefully worded factual observations"? Are they part of a rational discourse? Obviously no, and that's why isobars' nonsense is usually met with such derision. In my view, he has earned his poor reputation here and he should bear the responsibility for it and quit whining about it. You reap what you sow, and he's definitely old enough to understand that.

Although mrgybe has been quite careful in his comments and reactions to isobars posts, I think that even he would agree that isobars all to often earns what he gets. If otherwise, why would so many sensible folks here be standing on the other side of the fence from isobars?
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I think that even he would agree that isobars all to often earns what he gets.

You have to give him credit for one thing, despite all the abuse he keeps coming back for more. Maybe negative attention is better than none at all?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:
despite all the abuse he keeps coming back for more. Maybe negative attention is better than none at all.

Attention? Boy, you got that one wrong. It’s about persistence in the face of enemies of the American way of life. Do any of you liberal extremists even have a clue that your (according to presidential candidate Hillary Clinton) Progressive Party platform (read it) supports vastly increased welfare and unionization, complete government control of everyone’s business and personal lives, forced redistribution of all private and corporate wealth, public (i.e., government) ownership of virtually all resources from farms to Wall Street, voters overruling law (aka anarchy), voting rights for children, a federal health care system proven to fail and which their platform proves they do not understand, trade barriers, and dismantlement of our military? Worse yet, many of you don’t even comprehend the harm those things do to our nation.

Criticism from people who think like that is neither abuse nor negative; it’s highly complimentary to rational citizens who believe in capitalism, national security, and self-reliance. If it weren’t just typical, lazy, GIMMIE, left wing vitriol, I might even let it into my home to constantly remind me how necessary it is to keep reminding decent people to stand up for what’s good about their country.

I’ve prevailed over dozens of adversaries, including colonels and generals, teams of government/ corporate/ private lawyers, blue chip corporations, CEOs, apparent thieves, and cops, and I’ve been writing for grins and/or money for 60 years because I love writing. A bunch of school children with ADD and Tourette’s syndrome, armed with poison pens but little else, isn’t going to stop me from either pursuit. Just as in those real worlds, you people’s left wing obsession with attacking individuals rather than contributing to the topics at hand like rational adults simply exposes your lack of better facts, opinions, or logic. Your mindless intolerance, venom, baseless ad hominem, and lies about what we’ve said and believe don’t cut it.

Neither does denying that Reid’s and Clinton’s boorish accusations of General Petraeus were tantamount to calling him a liar, Chandler, so save that BS for the gullible. Yes, I’ve been wrong about some fact or another 4-5 times … in way > 20,000 posts … but not that time. So tell us, guys … what are YOUR batting averages?
windoggi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, iso, are you one of the guys that the Republican fundraisers consider ignorant and fearful or educated and ego-driven? Or both?
mogunn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: The beat goes on... Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Only rational adults capable of topical discourse -- and Brucie plus a couple of equally harmless clones -- need apply...
It’s about persistence in the face of enemies of the American way of life.
Your mindless intolerance, venom, baseless ad hominem, and lies about what we’ve said and believe don’t cut it...
Worse yet, many of you don’t even comprehend the harm those things do to our nation...

Rolling Eyes

mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that Iso has made a religion out of being selfish...
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt, we can always depend on isobars being bent and charged up by foolish nonsense. That last post of his readily reveals how spun out and hateful he is. Boy, I'm sure glad I'm no where near his world. From my perspective, a very ugly place to be.
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One snide remark and we get another rant by mike and a new cartoon by mo. Keep it up boys and girls. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: