myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
seat vs. waist harness
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHERIFF

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: seat vs. waist harness Reply with quote

I picked up new gear after being land locked for the past 20 years, but I'm not sure if I should go with a seat or waist harness. Back in the day I used a seat harness. Any suggestions? I'm sailing a light wind shortboard.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: seat vs. waist harness Reply with quote

Depends on what feels good to you (yuk yuk). Seats are better for
2D action, waists are better for 3D. This is only my opinion.

-Craig

SHERIFF wrote:
I picked up new gear after being land locked for the past 20 years, but I'm not sure if I should go with a seat or waist harness. Back in the day I used a seat harness. Any suggestions? I'm sailing a light wind shortboard.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars! Haterrater! to the start line PLEASE!! Laughing
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sail in a light wind venue, but use my seat harness in all types of app's. Boils down to what you want, not anything else. Lots of folks have never bothered to compare, they just stick with one or the other. I've tried both and prefer the seat. Provides a more direct drive off the boom to the hips then legs. Waists involve the lower back more. Lots of folks ask how I can keep the accelerator to the floor when extremely over powered. Harness line forces go directly to my legs. The strongest muscle groups in the human body, right?
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you mean by "light wind shortboard".

Back in the day, I also used a seat harness, but switched to waist harness about 5 years ago - have never looked back. So much less restrictive and comfortable to wear. Try a bunch of different harnesses and see what seems comfortable to you. I started with Dakine, but have found the ProLimit to be much better for me - fits like a glove.

I've heard it said that waist harnesses are better for wave sailing and freestyle, while seat harnesses give you the most power for going really fast. However, in the Gorge, I see sailors using both types. Just comes down to personal preference.
bobg
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restrictive in what way? Never noticed that.

Here's a light wind board:

http://www.exocet-original.com/products/sting-spec.asp

Light wind does depend on where one lives.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
Restrictive in what way? Never noticed that.

Neither have I. I strap on my Dakine XT Seat when the wind starts in the morning, and take it off when I'm finished sailing, which is way past sunset if the wind cooperates. If I noticed that I had it on during breaks for food or rigging, I'd take it off. It comes off only if the wind stops for hours, or if my burritos demand it. Otherwise, on my waist is as good as anywhere else to store it.

Why do I wear this particular type or brand of harness? 'Cause I wanna. It stays right where I put it and cradles me from butt cheeks to just under my shoulder blades so I can sail all day without even being aware that I have a back. If somebody made a device to pamper my arms and legs that well, I'd wear that, too. Lazy Boy, are you listening?

Mike \m/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: seat vs. waist harness Reply with quote

SHERIFF wrote:

In all likelihood either will work well for you. I think waist harnesses work better than they used to for larger sails (that's as much a function of improvements in boards and sails as it is in harnesses). For myself, any sail 7.5 and smaller I'm using a waist harness.

Either will work for you. My two cent suggestion is borrow a waist harness for a few sessions, just for laughs (you know that seat harnesses work for you, so try an experiment.) Maybe you'll prefer the waist harness, maybe you'll hate it, maybe who knows?

Have fun. It's good that you're getting back on the water!

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP, I also often ride an XT Seat (especially when my back is
giving me trouble). I consider it more of a waist harness with an added
butt pocket. With mine, I'm still in a more vertical
stance with shorter lines. Probably the best of both worlds (but harder
to get in and out of than a pure waist harness).

-Craig

isobars wrote:

I strap on my Dakine XT Seat when the wind starts in the morning, and take it off when I'm finished sailing, which is way past sunset if the wind cooperates. If I noticed that I had it on during breaks for food or rigging, I'd take it off. It comes off only if the wind stops for hours, or if my burritos demand it. Otherwise, on my waist is as good as anywhere else to store it.

Why do I wear this particular type or brand of harness? 'Cause I wanna. It stays right where I put it and cradles me from butt cheeks to just under my shoulder blades so I can sail all day without even being aware that I have a back. If somebody made a device to pamper my arms and legs that well, I'd wear that, too. Lazy Boy, are you listening?

Mike \m/
djs789

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both. XT-Seat for big sails, formula, and speed. It gives you a very steady locked in feel. I use a nexus-waist for chop, waves, freestyle. You sail more upright and is easier to transition to doing manuevers. Whatever feels right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: