myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where to Windsurf? I am near Lake Elsinore/Dana Point, CA.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thegerman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Where to Windsurf? I am near Lake Elsinore/Dana Point, CA. Reply with quote

I am near Lake Elsinore/Dana Point, CA.
I don't like the lake too much dead fish and the winds are never here.
Where else could I go? I am advanced sailer, can do water starts.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
thegerman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Nobody windsurfing around here?

Is windsurfing a dying sport?
Shocked
cbknap

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest mainstream sailing sites are Seal Beach, in North Orange County right at the San Gabriel River mouth, and Cabrillo Beach, in South Los Angeles County at the foot of the Palos Verdes Peninsula. Best wind directions for these sites are SW to W, although some nuts (me) will sail S or WNW wind directions at these sites. Belmont Shore in Long Beach is an intermediate spot with a "long" beach that works even if the wind is SE or NW...but mostly kiters here because the wind is weaker and the water flat. Also, lots of stingrays in summer.

There are many good spots farther north in LA County---including Topanga, Leo Carillo and County Line, but those are far from Dana Point.

You should know that December and January are the two worst months for Southern California sailing. Only a handful of days per month, mostly right after storms. By the end of February reliable winds return.

Good luck and we'll see you on the water.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being a jerk here, but most people would say I am....
Waterstarting is something everyone around here in Berkeley does within a few months, 6 at the longest. That gives them what we at the CalSailingClub call "junior" status. Meaning they get to use boards just smaller than 200 liter beginner boards.
They are truly pure beginners in any windsurfing area, as waterstarting is something akin to being able to walk upright to qualify as "human".
I was waterstarting by my 3rd week, as were EVERY one of my surfing friends who decided to try windsurfing.
Now if you say you regularly ride your board size in liters by your weight, THEN you might qualify as intermediate.
The ocean doesn't discriminate between beginners and experts. Sailing NE SantaAna winds at BolcaChica is advanced stuff. Do not attempt it.
thegerman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Not being a jerk here, but most people would say I am....

Shocked
Well I have't been on my boards in a few years, but for your info, I have 2 boards and I don't even know the displacement, all I know is that when I am on them I will sink......LOL
So I have to have at least min 15-20 knots, if not rather upwards from 20 knots, so I CAN DO THE WATER START,with my fat ass, that you can do so easy apparently:) But thanks for your concern.
I have been windsurfing for about 30 years, manly Cape Hatteras, out east but recently moved here. Just wondering where everyone goes around here.
What about down in San Diego?
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm LeeD.
Besides Bolca, which I've windsurfed on both NNE SantaAna and S storm winds, the stretch from HurricaneGulchLongBeach thru Secos can get good strong spring winds.
Any launchable spot is fine, as the waves in LA area tend to be small and wimpy. Just make sure you have enough power to get out.
Surfsailing spots include any sideshore wind direction. Unfortunately, except Secos, you won't find much company, as LA is not the hotbed of windsurfing madness.
SanDiego? More closer to kiter heaven, with predominant breezes needing 7 meter sails and course slalom to Formula gear.
Much better chances of springtime NW winds up by CStreet Ventura and spots N, like Jalama, where you get 25mph averages 4 days a week.
mogunn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in April there was a petition drive to reopen Lake Hodges to windsurfing. Don’t know the result of the action, but if it has been reopened it’s close enough to Elsinore to be an option for spring/summer.
Click here for the iWindsurf topic.

NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Elsinore can be very good in the spring. When the beach is fogged in, the cold air is forced over the coastal mountains. It pick up speed on its dowward trip. Many days on a 5.5. You can launch for free on the east side of the lake. The wind tends to be on shore with pretty bumpy water. The good thing is that normally clears out the boats. For a small fee you can launch on the north side. This side has side shore winds and smoother water. More boats.
Lake perris is very good on a Santa Ana wind. Hard to catch it right but the strongest wind in the area. anything from 4.0 on up. Also good in the spring and summer for big board big sail stuff. A pretty regular group of guys out everyday durning the week. Wind kicks in about 3 or 4 pm till dark. The Pritchards learned to sail there so it can't be all bad..
Road trip to Lake Isabel in the spring is pretty much a must. Anything from 4.0 to 7.5 and you can camp right on the beach. No boats till May when the water warms up.
Seal beach in the spring and Cabrillo in the summer are the best bet for some sea breezes. Both spots are more fun during the week. Lots less people on the water.
Like you I have been windsurfing for 30 years. I have a pretty good feel for where and when to go. Give me a call if you like....Tony...714 692 8369
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and don't forget Gladstone's launch, a really shifty rocky reef break, but for windsurfing, winds usually side/onshore so you head straight out to outside Manhattan beach smokestacks, farther to Hermosa and back. It's another clearing wind spot for coast sailors who play on the ocean on clearing NW, then hit the valley lakes when the fog comes in.
SantaMonica.
D-wo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Laguna Beach. The closest consistent (although it is hardly consistent) spring and summer sailing is at Sunset Beach. Santa Ana River Jetties in Newport blows on occasion, has better surf, but is lighter.

In the winter/ early spring months you should check out Capo beach, just south of Doheny. I sailed a couple of days there last spring and it was quite fun.

As you will see, most of the local spots have been taken over by kiters. You can windsurf 10-20 quality days a year a Sunset and kite 50-100. The drive to Seal is about 10 minutes more than Sunset and Cabrillo about 30 minutes more than Sunset. Leo is not really a practical day trip, especially in summer traffic.

That's the bad news. The good news is that, if you want to travel, there is amazing sailing on the central coast and baja. A three day trip to Arroyo Laguna is much more rewarding than driving to Sunset and getting skunked. Jalama is awesome in the spring - beautiful, windy, wavy, cold and sharky - but not for the meek or jibeless.

Hope that helps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: