myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2014 i-To-i Race

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dudeskate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: 2014 i-To-i Race Reply with quote

Hi,

Coming up just 30 days from today will be the 12th year of the i-to-i in Fort Lauderdale, FL! Time flies. It doesn't seem that long ago we ran the first one. Check out the website to learn the history of the event.

The last few years, kite raceboards and kite foilboards have entered, but have yet to take the top spot. Join us to see who will be the winner this year.

The 12th annual running of the Inlet to Inlet Long Distance Race is scheduled December 6-7, 2014. The i-to-i kicks off the US Windsurfing National Race Tour for 2015. More information, notice of race, (NOR), etc. can be found on the official race website:

http://i-to-i.org/

Hope to see you there!

Ron Kern
dudeskate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Update - Safety & Prizes Reply with quote

First topic is safety. The race is run in open ocean offshore. It is imperative to be able to call for help if you break down 2 miles offshore. PHONES are mandatory to carry so you can contact 911 if you have an emergency. There is no entry fee to the race. Use the money you would have spent for an entry fee on a waterproof cell phone case and better yet buy it from one of our sponsors below. As this is a bit of distance to cover and the possibility of breakdown, fatigue, or injury exists, combined with potential offshore winds, it is strongly encouraged that you carry a cell phone for emergency use. Any charged phone, even without an activated phone plan will be able to call 911 for help, but still needs to go in a cellphone bag so you can use it on the water. There are a variety of secure waterproof bags for carrying cell phones that allow their use in the water without damage to the phone from seawater entry. Please don't take chances with your safety! Procure a case for your phone and bring it with to the race as there will not be chase boats or anyone but yourself looking after you. With that said, the coast is pretty friendly up and back, and with the exception of most of Fort Lauderdale public beach and a small stretch of Pompano public beach, anywhere along the beach is a landing spot for a rest or adjustment if needed.

It is way too early to tell what the weather will be with any certainty and which day is more likely to run the race yet. Typically no decision until Friday maybe even Friday evening if it’s complicated. I don’t want to not have the race and there be appropriate conditions or vice versa. I find the forecast here:

http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/fmtbltn.pl?file=forecasts/marine/coastal/am/amz651.txt

to be the most accurate and that is my first source. I also look heavily on iWindsurf.com for trends for the last few days and my personal experience over the years.

This years sponsors have come through and we have great stuff as prizes, awards, and participation!

Adventure Sports Miami, Coconut Grove & Fort Lauderdale
Liquid Surf & Sail
Next Sports
Sandy Point Progressive Sports Daytona & Miami
Nautical Ventures

This year a first! Event t-shirts custom designed by Cody Steward which are printed and provided by Liquid Surf & Sport Fort Lauderdale. Also Adventure Sports – Cabrinha has prizes in the mix along with prizes from our sponsors above. Visit their stores or websites and procure what you need to make sure you can participate safely.

Updates by email and on the event website:

http://i-to-i.org/

More to follow!

Ron
dudeskate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: The i-to-i Race Will Be Held Saturday, 12/6/14 at 9:00 a.m., Reply with quote

The i-to-i Race Will Be Held Saturday, 12/6/14 at 9:00 a.m., skipper’s meeting at 8:00 a.m. The website has been updated, please read the details and changes to NOR.

www.i-to-i.org

Hope to see you there!

Ron Kern
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I couldn't make it this year. Was there enough wind for the race?

-James

dudeskate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Results 2014 i-To-i Race Reply with quote

The I-to-I Race was held Saturday, 12/6/14. The event website has been updated with results, photos, rider recaps from this year’s event!

Event website: http://i-to-i.org/

The sponsors were extremely generous and the competitors took home great prizes, awards, and participation gifts, along with the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

Adventure Sports Miami, Coconut Grove & Fort Lauderdale
Liquid Surf & Sail
Next Sports
Sandy Point Progressive Sports Daytona & Miami
Nautical Ventures
iWindsurf

Next year’s I-to-I race will be held December 5-6, 2015. Hope to see you!

Ron Kern
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice reports on the website, Ron! Congratulations on what sounds like a very fun event.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: