myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Big Oil and citizenship
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Big Oil and citizenship Reply with quote

OK, so the Supreme Court considers corporations to be citizens with free speech rights, and the most outrageous lies are protected as free speech. When does citizenship responsibility come to the table? Here are just a few new clips to show you Big Oil's commitment to environmental destruction and fiscal ruin.

Quote:
By Sabrina Lorenzi

RIO DE JANEIRO | Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:33pm EDT

(Reuters) - Chevron Corp. could have avoided a November oil spill of 3,700 barrels into the Atlantic Ocean off Brazil's coast had it interpreted geological data better and followed industry safety practices more closely, the director of the national oil regulator said on Thursday.

And we all remember the Iraq war, which wasn't about oil or oil security?

Quote:
Chevron signs deal with Iraq Kurds, defies Baghdad

By Sinan Salaheddin
Associated Press / July 19, 2012

BAGHDAD—U.S. oil giant Chevron said on Thursday it signed a deal with Iraqi Kurds to explore for oil in their northern region, defying the central government which wants to control the area's oil wealth.

The agreement makes Chevron the second U.S. company to secure oil deals with Kurds in conflict with Baghdad, after Exxon Mobil Corp. agreed last October to explore for oil in six areas.

Baghdad wants to manage its energy resources nationwide and have the final say on all oil and gas deals. Kurds argue that the constitution allows them to draw up development plans independently and award deals without going through the oil ministry.

Chevron, based in California, said in a statement it will take over India's Reliance Exploration and Production efforts to explore for oil in the Rovi and Sarta blocks. Chevron will hold 80 percent of the contract while Austria's OMV AG will hold the rest.

The blocks are located north of the regional capital, Irbil, and cover a combined area of approximately 1,124 square kilometers (490 square miles).

Since the 2003 U.S.-led invasion, the Kurds have signed over 50 relatively small deals -- production sharing contracts with small and mid-sized oil companies. But the entry of majors Exxon Mobil and now Chevron may be a game changer that could lead to de facto policies the Kurds have long sought.

Iraq's post-invasion governments have until recently blacklisted energy companies that signed contracts with the Kurdish government to prevent them from working elsewhere in the country or purchase crude oil.

But in the case of Exxon Mobil, the Iraqi government has had a light hand. It prevented it from taking part in Iraq's fourth energy bidding round in May but has not touched its deal to develop the 8.6 billion West Qurna field near the southern city of Basra along with Royal Dutch Shell PLC.

Chevron has no deals with the Baghdad government. Officials in Baghdad and Irbil could not immediately be reached for comment.

Later in the day, Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's office said it received a "positive and convincing" letter from President Barack Obama about Exxon Mobil's oil plans in the Kurdish region, where Baghdad wants it to cease operations.

So tell me again that we shouldn't charge some of our military presence in the Middle East to oil? Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, no comment from the apologists for big oil with the Supreme Court passing on a chance to overturn a ruling against Chevron on pollution? The net result is a n $18.2 billion judgement against Chevron for pollution in Ecuador, won in a New York based case, stands.

Do we need another lesson in how the carbon industry systematically destroys their credibility?
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mac
Try breathing into a paper bag, I heard that helps!!!
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
Mac
Try breathing into a paper bag, I heard that helps!!!

Hey, Matty, I bet if they lifted all rules and regulations, then the carbon industry would self-regulate in the best interests of the environment, the public, and the customer.

Whadda ya think?
________

Laughing Laughing Laughing
mac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matty--I heard you were breathing in rather closer quarters the last 3 1/2 years. Hope you can stand another 4 years in there.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be just fine Mac, I am prepared for the worse and hoping for the best.
I said many months ago it would come down to the last two weeks and probably some stupid sound bite. At the moment I feel Romney has an excellent chance of pulling off the upset, but as we all know things change quickly.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matty...I agree with your above post. The silver lining for me from last week's debate is that Mr Romney will immediately revert back to his moderate, even liberal Keynesian self if he wins.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
matty...I agree with your above post. The silver lining for me from last week's debate is that Mr Romney will immediately revert back to his moderate, even liberal Keynesian self if he wins.

uh I don't know that his tea party backers would allow that boggs.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting, but at some point the adults will take over.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matty--you seemed to have missed the topic. Read for content? Try it sometime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81  Next
Page 1 of 81

Jump to: