myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 312, 313, 314 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ERROR!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: 2021-05-19 Sherman Island Reply with quote

You can see from these images that the wind has brought good sailing to Sherman Island this afternoon. I windsurfed a 75L board with a 5.8 sail in the ebb tide. I captured these images on my helmet cam (and then edited them a little bit after I returned home).

2021-05-19 Sherman Island (5).png
 Description:
 Filesize:  240.99 KB
 Viewed:  11708 Time(s)

2021-05-19 Sherman Island (5).png

2021-05-19 Sherman Island (2).png
 Description:
 Filesize:  232.26 KB
 Viewed:  11714 Time(s)

2021-05-19 Sherman Island (2).png

2021-05-19 Sherman Island (4)).png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.11 MB
 Viewed:  11715 Time(s)

2021-05-19 Sherman Island (4)).png

LUCARO

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coyote point thurs May 20th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mDeTxtFato
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 22nd

https://youtu.be/rWrJosyF0KI
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Saturday May 22: back to the Stick Reply with quote

I was on the south part of town for a rehearsal (!!!!!!!Life is back!!!!!!!) and checked out the Stick after a month and a half of Crissy. Got there around 4 pm just when a bunch of Berkeley refugees is showing up. Apparently the wind died over there. It was sort of going down quick at the Stick too, so I rigged a 6.0 and went out. Just a couple of runs and then the wind came up. Classic Stick: strong, three directions, and cannonball gusts.

My 6.0 is all out of asset. I just changed the lines and they are set up very wrong, my arms are elongating to keep the sail close and the board down. It might not be the evening to work on asset and so tail between my legs I go back, rig the SPY 4.7 drop the slalom and ... have a wonderful overpowered evening sail with the RRD FSW 90 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
dllee

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can get skunked any time.
Past 2 days at Berkeley for sure.
Today, not so bad 5.7 and 95 liter....faster than the 2 other guys on 7.0's. Meaning there WAS wind, not that any of us are faster than any other.
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Monday May: back to the Crissy May 24 Reply with quote

Opening what looks like a whole week of high wind at Crissy. Out with 81/4.7 just because it was a bit weak and south inside ... I could have easily been on 4.2. Nice swell but gusty wind. Today probably a better direction and hopefully not much stronger ... it is blowing already at 8:30 am ...

Last edited by dvCali on Wed May 26, 2021 10:42 am; edited 2 times in total
LUCARO

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 25th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9o3_zWRwmQ
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: ... and May 25 Reply with quote

And Crissy yesterday was a solid 4.2. A nice day, no drama, no elongated arms trying to hold on an overpowered sail. Just perfect for about an hour and a half, then wind gets a bit strange, with some southerly trying to creep in, and some wind holes appear. Still workable and fun.Would be time to change to 4.7 around 5 pm, but my foot strap screw strips the insert again and I call it the day.

To fix the thread I used the "Loctite Stripped Thread Rebuild" https://www.amazon.com/Stripped-Thread-Repair-12-9mL-Gray/dp/B003THIZVW, but it seems to have worked only on one of the stripped screws (yep ... two got stripped). I'll redo it but it might be time for surgery ... kind of annoying that after 40 years we do not have bombproof inserts in $2,000 boards ...

Complaining to the side: Today a repeat ... Very Happy
mark

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali,

You may want to try using a threaded insert to repair your stripped insert. They can be ordered from McMaster.com. Search tapping inserts for plastics. They are made from brass and are available in both inch and metric sizes. I have used the 10-32 version because the 17/64 (6.7mm) pilot hole is about the same size as the stripped out M6 screw commonly used in most boards. I think the insert wall may be thick enough enough to drill the 11/32" (8.7mm) pilot hole required for either a 6 mm or 1/4-20. I hesitated only because I have never seen one of the inserts used in a typical board. A 10-32 or 5 mm threaded screw is plenty strong and you probably only have to add an extra washer to account for the smaller diameter screw.

You don't need to buy their insert tool. A bolt with a nut are all you need. Thread the nut onto the bolt and then thread it into the insert. Lock the nut against insert so the bolt does not turn. I used a socket head screw and a T handle allen wrench but a hex head bolt with a wrench or socket would also work.
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: ... and May 26 Reply with quote

Thank you Mark! I already looking at my router and glassing in an insert ... I'll try the threaded insert first.

But back to daily sail: yesterday VERY strong day at Crissy. Apparently 30-35 mph. I am out with 3.7, overpowered, and somehow I am not doing too well. Maybe it is the sail (an old 3.7 firelight rigged on a new Point-7 mast, it takes a a few trips back and forth to find the correct setting) or maybe I am just intimidated by the conditions. I start to do well only when the wind finally drops a bit ... around 6:30 pm. Oh well ...

But I should correct myself. It was not 3.7 overpowered conditions. There is this guy out (I think David Wells?) with a big Isonic and a Severne race 7.8. He is having fun. Does not go past the middle but he is in complete control. On the inside he is pulling off 360s followed by a jibe Shocked Shocked Shocked

Today a repeat, than the wind will finally slow down a bit ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 312, 313, 314 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 313 of 329

Jump to: