myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Good sun protection hat?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
thinkin that this example is her signature hat, seen a few others that look like what they wear at the Kentucky Derby

no mistaking you on the water then

I'm thinking my wife needs new glasses or needs to watch the movie again. I HOPE that is not what I look like Cool
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the most practical and coolest hat..

http://www.amazon.com/FCS-Bucket-Surfing-Gunmetal-Medium/dp/B00GIZEIPY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1393293172&sr=8-3&keywords=surf+hat
justall

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good hat suggestions. Though, I gave up on the hats and just started using scalp spray. It works great to protect your hair part, ears, neck, and "thin spot" ( no need to call it balding spot, right). Just need to wash your hands after rubbing it in to keep a good grip. Only downside is a bit of a spiky / slicked head look.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Banana-Boat-Quik-Dry-Sport-Body-Scalp-Broad-Spectrum-SPF-30-Sunblock-6-fl-oz/10293686
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better than nothing, but for those of us that have been in the sun for many decades, skin cancer IS and will continue to be an issue. I have had over a dozen basal and squamous cell carcinomas take off my upper body, plus literally hundreds and hundreds pre-cancerous keratosis frozen off.

I have been going three-four times a year to the dermatologist for more than 25 years.

For the last 20+ years, I have always worn long sleeve shirts sailing (when it's warm) and always use sunscreen on all exposed skin. I do wear a helmet when the wind is 20+. Don't forget the sunglasses too.

I recently had a brother-in-law die of melanoma at the age of 51. No one is bullet proof.

Don't look cool in a floppy hat? Who gives a damn.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention that no sunscreen works for more than an hour or two, especially in water. That's not even half a session or 1/5 of a day of sailing. If I lived in an area like Maui or Florida, where the shirtless sailing season is longer than my local week or two, I'd be wearing much more Lycra. I can't believe how many people still deliberately sunbathe.

sailwave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thombiz wrote:
I went on a big hunt for a wide brimmed windsurfing hat several years ago. It took a while, but I soon learned there is no such thing as a super wide brimmed hat that is also a good sailing hat. That doesn't mean there isn't a good super wide brimmed hat for light wind days, and an otherwise exceptional hat for the windy days. For light wind days, I found the "Watership Trading Company's Vineyard Haven" to be exceptional and you'll likely not find a better fitting hat than this one. It has one of the widest brims on the side and in the back on the market and the construction is exceptional.

Now for windy day hats. I found the answer and it wasn't easy and it wasn't cheap but it damn well works. Don't believe the advertised claims of the others, this one will do the trick. It is... the Tilley Hat "T3 Original Cotton Duck Hat" !! www.tilley.com This hat is amazing, but you will have to make a slight modification to it. At the very edge of the brim the fabric is folded over and sewn down. There is just enough room in the folded over part to insert a piece of weedwacker string continuous around the perimeter of the hat. Once this weedwacker string is inserted, pull a little tention on the string until the brim just starts to pucker, then hand lap sew the two ends of the weedwacker string together, and cut off the excess. I've used such a hat for several years in winds up to 45 mph and it will almost never try to fold up or otherwise become unruly. It might try to fly off, so just lower the front brim and it will stay put. It is a truly great solution and the sun coverage is not bad!

see example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Quality-Mens-Off-White-Tilley-Summer-Hat-Made-in-Canada-Size-7-/290930448795

Here's the hat I've been wearing for over 5 years, and I'm saying it works:

That cupped edge of the brim and the stiff weedwacker string is what gives it the stiffness and stability it needs.

Sailwave Here: I have used two Tilley hats (white and navy blue) of same design now for about 15 years. The white one you show has a much less stiff brim as compared to my navy blue one, likely the die makes it stiffer. My navy blue hat brim flips up in > 20 knot wind. The white one in only about 12 knots. I like the idea of the weed whacker cord in the brim and will try it. I use two spring locks for the chin strap as one seems to get lloose. I pound around in the waves with this hat and its has only came off a few times. There is float foam in the top that keeps it on the surface and also good padding for occasional bumps to the head. BTW, I am a melanoma survivor and always cover the head.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
Better than nothing, but for those of us that have been in the sun for many decades, skin cancer IS and will continue to be an issue. I have had over a dozen basal and squamous cell carcinomas take off my upper body, plus literally hundreds and hundreds pre-cancerous keratosis frozen off.

I have been going three-four times a year to the dermatologist for more than 25 years.

For the last 20+ years, I have always worn long sleeve shirts sailing (when it's warm) and always use sunscreen on all exposed skin. I do wear a helmet when the wind is 20+. Don't forget the sunglasses too.

I recently had a brother-in-law die of melanoma at the age of 51. No one is bullet proof.

Don't look cool in a floppy hat? Who gives a damn.

sorry to hear about your brother-in-law.

but, +10^6 on having pre-cancerous spots removed. I have been sailing one kind of watercraft or another for 50 years, and have had the same experience.
ps. I recently had a skin cancer tumor (not melanoma) removed from my groin area, have a nice scar just to the side of my package. not sun-related, as that area has never been in the sun, at least to the best of my recollection.

I've decided to wear a helmet for windsufing- kinda kills two birds with one stone - sun protection and crash protection all in one.
thombiz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailwave,
be sure to pull the weedwacker string to cause the hat brim to cup similar to mine. It is that "cupping" which gives it surprising stiffness and stability.

I too, am a melanoma survivor. Had it removed back in October. I've been pretty good about wearing long sleeve rash guards and "Tour de France" type biking tights which I buy off Ebay. It sure has reduced the damage to my skin, but I will need to do more. My wife has made some lycra head "socks" for some of the other local sailors, and that may be my next addition to ward off the sun damage.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note from one married to and hanging around with more physicians than I can seat in my living room.

Sprayable sun screen/protection is dangerous to apply as it atomizes chemicals and oils known to cause respiratory harm and eye irritation. From the docs: if using spray sun protection, spray on hands then apply. It avoids the nasty cloud.

If in doubt, just remember the wonderful, deep breaths of OFF that your mother provided when hosing you down as a kid.

Now, back to the hat thing. Phil McGain developed a hat with a padded top and stiff brim. It might still be available at the Maui Sails website, or perhaps a direct call might lead to a good find.

Tinho Dornellas modified a light, wide-brim hat by sewing a ring of plastic into the brim. I recall his hat was mostly nylon with the brim maybe rip-stop. The issue with the Tilley is it's insulating tendency when dry and weight when wet. Tinho created his design after problems with the Tilley.

I like that FCS bucket hat to which Steve Bard posted a link.

Oddly, the cool-kid trucker hat (foam front, baseball brim, mesh back) actually works great but offers no neck coverage.

Outdoor Research offers many options for sun protection. www.outdoorresearch.com/en/mens/hats.html?limit=all&product_highlights=Sun+Protection

So does REI and EMS. Since everyone's sensitivity is different, I figure seeing more options might help.

cbknap

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaKine Indo surf hat. Front of the brim has a stiffener inside. You can tuck the strap inside when not sailing. In high winds just flip the front of the brim up. I used it last year slalom sailing at Kanaha in 25 knots of wind--no problem.

http://www.tactics.com/dakine/indo-surf-hat/grey

My son says the hat looks like Indiana Jones gave up his dream. He's a funny kid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: