myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Voter "Fraud" or voter disenfranchisement?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a cunning plan to overcome the sinister plots of those racist Republicans.......get an ID. If you think that the minor effort involved in getting one is more trouble than a vote is worth, that's your choice..........don't whine about it.
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:

What I say is that these measures are racism V. 2. They are intended to suppress the voting of the poor and those of color. The Republicans have been doing it since Rehnquist was an op in Arizona. They do it because it works.

Prove it!!!!
The best you could probably do would be to post some sort of liberal conjecture or "study", reviewed by liberal peers, but it would still be conjecture at best.
Are you sure your last name is McGrath and not Sharpton?
This racist shit gets really old.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that is the case, NW...please tell me why African Americans almost NEVER vote Republican?
I like odds, I need odds in my court to succeed. If I knew of a cause and effect relationship that effected an outcome, 92% of the time, I would bet on it.
Of course the effort to get voter ID cards is an effort to suppress minority votes....c'mon man.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boggs, there are far more dumb white people than there are dumb black people. How could this be racist or exclusionary?
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.brennancenter.org/publication/challenge-obtaining-voter-identification

Executive Summary

Ten states now have unprecedented restrictive voter ID laws. Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Mississippi, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Wisconsin all require citizens to produce specific types of government-issued photo identification before they can cast a vote that will count. Legal precedent requires these states to provide free photo ID to eligible voters who do not have one.

Unfortunately, these free IDs are not equally accessible to all voters. This report is the first comprehensive assessment of the difficulties that eligible voters face in obtaining free photo ID.

The 11 percent of eligible voters who lack the required photo ID must travel to a designated government office to obtain one. Yet many citizens will have trouble making this trip. In the 10 states with restrictive voter ID laws:

Nearly 500,000 eligible voters do not have access to a vehicle and live more than 10 miles from the nearest state ID-issuing office open more than two days a week. Many of them live in rural areas with dwindling public transportation options.
More than 10 million eligible voters live more than 10 miles from their nearest state ID-issuing office open more than two days a week.
1.2 million eligible black voters and 500,000 eligible Hispanic voters live more than 10 miles from their nearest ID-issuing office open more than two days a week. People of color are more likely to be disenfranchised by these laws since they are less likely to have photo ID than the general population.
Many ID-issuing offices maintain limited business hours. For example, the office in Sauk City, Wisconsin is open only on the fifth Wednesday of any month. But only four months in 2012 — February, May, August, and October — have five Wednesdays. In other states — Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, and Texas — many part-time ID-issuing offices are in the rural regions with the highest concentrations of people of color and people in poverty.
More than 1 million eligible voters in these states fall below the federal poverty line and live more than 10 miles from their nearest ID-issuing office open more than two days a week. These voters may be particularly affected by the significant costs of the documentation required to obtain a photo ID. Birth certificates can cost between $8 and $25. Marriage licenses, required for married women whose birth certificates include a maiden name, can cost between $8 and $20. By comparison, the notorious poll tax — outlawed during the civil rights era — cost $10.64 in current dollars.

The result is plain: Voter ID laws will make it harder for hundreds of thousands of poor Americans to vote. They place a serious burden on a core constitutional right that should be universally available to every American citizen.

This November, restrictive voter ID states will provide 127 electoral votes — nearly half of the 270 needed to win the presidency. Therefore, the ability of eligible citizens without photo ID to obtain one could have a major influence on the outcome of the 2012 election.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I get your message. Why do 92% of African Americans vote for Dems? Its an astounding number . The only other more reliable voting block, is FoxNews viewers at 94% Repub. If I could get a law passed that FoxNews viewers had to cut down their nightly FoxNews hours to 2 from 5, in order to vote, I think I could swing a few states.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Of course the effort to get voter ID cards is an effort to suppress minority votes....c'mon man.

Why don't they get ID's to overcome that effort?
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:

Why don't they get ID's to overcome that effort?

I don't know. It seems if the group lacking the ID's tends to vote Democrat, it would be smart to make it a littel difficult to obtain these ID's. On its surface it seems logical, but the counter argument is powerful as well.
mac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW screeches "Prove it." Well, your political ops have admitted it:

Quote:
In the debate over new laws meant to curb voter fraud in places like Florida, Democrats always charge that Republicans are trying to suppress the vote of liberal voting blocs like blacks and young people, while Republicans just laugh at such ludicrous and offensive accusations. That is, every Republican except for Florida’s former Republican Party chairman Jim Greer, who, scorned by his party and in deep legal trouble, blew the lid off what he claims was a systemic effort to suppress the black vote. In a 630-page deposition recorded over two days in late May, Greer, who is on trial for corruption charges, unloaded a litany of charges against the “whack-a-do, right-wing crazies” in his party, including the effort to suppress the black vote.

In the deposition, released to the press yesterday, Greer mentioned a December 2009 meeting with party officials. “I was upset because the political consultants and staff were talking about voter suppression and keeping blacks from voting,” he said, according to the Tampa Bay Times. He also said party officials discussed how “minority outreach programs were not fit for the Republican Party,” according to the AP. (Source: http://www.salon.com/2012/07/27/fla_republican_we_suppressed_black_votes/)

As for going back many years, there is always the start for Rehnquist--yeah, the one that was Chief Justice of the Supreme Court:

Quote:
They included, for instance, a man who would become the chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, William Rehnquist.

As a Republican activist in Arizona in the '60s, Rehnquist would spend Election Day picking out, and picking off if possible, black voters by challenging their credentials.

I repeat, Republicans do this because it works, because they know it suppresses the votes of poor and black folks who tend to vote Democratic. You must be so proud.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Jeez, mac ... do you just LIKE pissing contests? Look at the number of threads you've started for no other purpose.

Mission accomplished.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 2 of 67

Jump to: