myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Close Encounters
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uswine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a giant ray surface about 20 ft from me once near cancun .... two grey and black wing tips came gliding above the surface ... someone yelled shark ... and we didnt stop to think that the fins didn't fit a shark.... we just got to shore asap...too many margaritas ... we gave in to our imagination without a second thought. Once we got to shore and gained 10 ft vertical altitude we could see it was a ray playing in the surf .... huge.

I have done night kayaking in maui on a moonless night... never tried windsurfing at night ...definitely would have the adrenalin flowing... we couldn't see the waves in the kayak ... windsurfing would have been a challenge.

outcast wrote:
Worst scare i ever had was when a giant ray went all airborn right in front of me at Uppers. Like a truck. Exploded out of nowhere 10 feet in front of me

hit turtles Crying or Very sad , seen sharks in the curl, ran over something alive on a nite sail....whales breath, dolphins....flying fish hitting the thighs ....cruising with a frigate bird above the mast tip.....dropped in on seals

I owe the ocean so much!

Never been to the Gorge....fresh water freaks me out
uswine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Caribbean I have found myself suddenly swimming with thousands of jellyfish ... from the size of a pea to the size of a trash bag .... or in the middle of dozens of barracudas ...... I once had a trip scheduled to Australia with airline lies ... it was a real push as my employer wanted me back a day early ... fly to LA and immediately head to London UK... I would have had to leave my girlfriend down there the extra day alone ... but I was still hot to trot on the trip .... and then I read about all the box jellyfish problems they were having .... pretty much killed it for me and I cancelled.

rigitrite wrote:
Worst things we have are all non-living: water logged logs are the worst (lost a fin that way), chunks of ice, dead carp & catfish.
If you're at the right lake when the shad or buffalo fish are mating, it's impossible not to hit em with yer fin (thump....thump....thumpity thump thump thump). I don't know how many I sent to the bottom that day.

Scariest in the ocean was a sea snake at Bahia Salinas, Costa Rica. The pre-sail conversation with the guy renting equipment went something like this:
me - "Hey I heard there were sea snakes here. Is that an issue?"
him - "No way, you'll never see one, they're really small and very very rare."
me - "ok, cool!"
So, 10 min. later, on my very first pass, I saw THREE(!). These are the most poisonous snakes on the planet. Should you be unlucky enough to fall on one, and it bit you with it's tiny mouth, you're dead.
Cut a jelly fish in half with my fin and watched in delight as the two halves floated away (I hate jellies). Sailed over a man-o-war and made it go -pop!-
hitech

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed by hundreds of turtles off Kanaha or Kihie over the years and luckily never hit one. Sailed over rays and even came face to face with the monk seal near Uppers.
Many years ago I hit something big and soft that sent me over the bars about a half mile off Arroya Laguna. Always envisioned it was the landlord and hoped it wasn't an otter but didn't wait around to find out.
Biggest thrill was sailing amongst a thousand plus dolphins about a mile off Los Barriles. They were horizon to horizon, jumping near me and swimming under my board as I was the only one out there on a very light wind day with crystal clear water.
uswine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an animal encounter but the encounters with log barges and giant wind shadows from tidewater barges can occasionally be a little scary .. especially with any new comers up there ... you standing on the beach looking out scratching your head " what are they doing? .... cant they see the barge coming?"

cgoudie1 wrote:
Unless you are worried about a huge Sturgeon hickey, there's not much to
fear in the "fresh" water Gorge. I agree that turtles are probably the
biggest risk at Kanaha (I've missed quite a few). I have had a Sealion
check me out at the Hatchery, and at Stevenson. That's a little
unnerving, because those things are big. The ugliest creature induced
injury I've actually seen (on the river) was a breaching sturgeon,
which caved in the knee of a fellow Windsurfer (full knee reconstruction
was necessary). That's like hitting the Oregon lottery of bad luck.

-Craig

outcast wrote:
hit turtles Crying or Very sad , seen sharks in the curl, ran over something alive on a nite sail....whales breath, dolphins....flying fish hitting the thighs ....cruising with a frigate bird above the mast tip.....dropped in on seals

I owe the ocean so much!

Never been to the Gorge....fresh water freaks me out
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one is seeking close encounters with the wild things, and I do enjoy them, just got through saying "Hi" to my three raccoon buddies out back, I can highly recommend the Monterrey Bay Sanctuary. That is where I sail. Humpback whales are sometimes very numerous in the summer, such as this last one. Gray Whales pass through in the winter and Spring. There are seven types of dolphins/porpoises here. I think I have seen three or four of the seven. There are Blue Whales and Orcas, which I have not seen. Seen almost every other session are sea otters, sea lions, and harbor seals. Also bat rays, anchovies and leopard sharks abound at times. Whitey is there, but fairly rarely seen. I have not glimpsed him. Which is alright by me.
UncleRandy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit two Manatee first one tore my fin box out, seen lot's of turtle's hit one,
Five Sharks, one Pilot whale, lot's of Dolphin, lot's of seals, some big fish, hit twice by flying fish at Kihei, had sea ray's fly out of the water by me
justall

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good topic and interesting posts.

My list includes: Doing an emergency ditching stop to avoid a pair of turtles; would have hated myself if I hit them while just a guest in their neighborhood. Planed through a school of large, fleeing, kinda jumping fish; thought they might have been blues, so lucky to have passed through cleanly. Had some sort of snake bump into my board; "why'd it have to be snakes." Had a large crab decide my foot was too close, and it let me know it; I always wear booties, now.

No whales, though, yet.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, that was the deal. He's back to ripping the river these days.

-Craig

youwindsurf wrote:

Was that sturgeon knee injury at the Hatchery? I recall a few years ago sitting at the picnic table at the cove and a guy drifts in asking for help getting out of the water. Of course I asked what happened and he said a sturgeon came out of the water and slammed into the side of his knee. He was in bad shape.
benspikey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pelican.. big f'ing Pelican.. Watch out for those guys..
billekrub

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: numerous, some close and some enountered Reply with quote

Some that come to mind:

Tajalee sunk its teeth into my shin in Marguerita, Venezuela, on the plane, in the straps and hooked in. 6 days off the water.
Stopped by otter near the shore, Lake Arenal, Costa Rica
Stopped by reef, ended up flat on the board, Puerto Rico
Stopped by kelp, lots of times, Punta San Carlos, Baja Norte, Mexico
Within a few board lengths of migrating whales heading south while slogging back towards shore, Melkbosh, Western Cape, S. Africa
Dolphins around but usu. closer when paddling than when sailing
Brown pelicans massed in the 100's over schools of fish, so thick they cannot believe you are coming towards them, lots of close calls
Peruvian diving petrels, penguins, cormorants, boobies, shearwaters, skimmers, in Chile
Turtles, sharks in Kanaha
Sea lions, young and old, Chile and Baja (psc)
Small rattler on the beach, PSC
Some interesting collisions with unleashed homo sapiens sapiens? kiter and windsurfer type
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: