myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Another what board for me question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thberget

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Another what board for me question Reply with quote

So I've committed to getting back into the sport after a 10 year hiatus and need some advice on gear. Couple things about me: I weigh about 220lbs. And back when I used to windsurf, I sailed a 130 liter board from the nineties and was comfortable in the straps and getting the board up on the fin. My gybes were not very good, only being able to plane out of say 10% of them. I was proficient at water starts. I've been sailing beach cats since I stopped windsurfing so haven't been completely away from the water.

So I just bought a used rig with a 7.5 sailworks retro and am looking for a board. This will be used primarily on the Chesapeake bay. Target use range would be for 15-25 mph wind days. I'm not going to bother going if it is lighter than that. Ideally I would like a used board but may be able to convince myself to buy new if it makes more sense.

So based on this what would you recommend?
adywind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

110L FSW or Freemove board if you are more into bump&jump type sailing. 130L Freemove if you are into flat water blasting/gybing. There will be some getting used to but after that you may never outgrow it.

Last edited by adywind on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used, unless money means nothing to you and won't prolong your retirement date. As I've said for decades, virtually no board is unique enough* to warrant buying it in-season for intermediate or even advanced recreational level sailing. There are just too many closeouts, winter sales, and great used boards on the market for that. Just one example is this one at Windance, who ships for <$100:
http://www.windance.com/115-L-Naish-Global-2011-CSP0466S000/
It's too small for your criteria, but they get bigger ones in, and there are many other brick and mortar shops such as Isthmus offering excellent deals nationwide now and in general. Surely your local shops have some deals going on now which may make everyone happy.

* Usually. I deliberately and advisedly broke that guideline this year, but that's another story with many chapters and criteria. Smile

I also advise being less picky on that 15-25, especially initially. I also demand planing power, but you have some catching up to do, and TOW is critical to that. I'd think Chesapeake area garages and basements would be bristling with barely used longboards available for peanuts to supplement the board you're primarily interested in. That Retro and a 220/140L longboard would be a blast with wind gusting into the teens, getting you planing quite often and being fun whenever there's even a decent chance of planing. Unlike many total newbies, you have the skills to enjoy a longboard now ... well, as soon as the ice fishermen have to quit and and you can see over the shoreline snowbanks ... snicker, snicker ... (66 degrees, barefoot, 40 mph, and big glassy rollers just last Friday in the Gorge).

Concerning specific boards in your size range, I can't help you beyond my usual advice: buy for user-friendly fun, not peak hull mph. If our gear isn't easily accessible fun, we'll find more and more excuses not to go WSing, and that sucks. Save the specialty boards meant for some kind of racing or tricks for, you know, ... racing or tricks.

And unless you're a 6'3" body builder, I and an ever-increasing body of research strongly recommend low-net-carb eating such as Atkins. Every few pounds of body fat adds another mph to our planing speed threshold and another couple of liters to our board's bulk. A little less weight and a little more TOW and you'll be ready for a smaller board on your 20 mph days, when the chop gives way to some small but useable swell.

Mike \m/
adywind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Isobars, since you mentioned Windance, do you have any idea how good or bad the condition of their B rated boards is? I may pull the trigger on one of those 86 Kodes some time next year. I started to mistrust those ratings after Big Winds sold me A+ rated board with cracks on the nose patched with clear tape Confused
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Another what board for me question Reply with quote

Thberget wrote:
So I've committed to getting back into the sport after a 10 year hiatus and need some advice on gear. Couple things about me: I weigh about 220lbs. And back when I used to windsurf, I sailed a 130 liter board from the nineties and was comfortable in the straps and getting the board up on the fin. My gybes were not very good, only being able to plane out of say 10% of them. I was proficient at water starts. I've been sailing beach cats since I stopped windsurfing so haven't been completely away from the water.

So I just bought a used rig with a 7.5 sailworks retro and am looking for a board. This will be used primarily on the Chesapeake bay. Target use range would be for 15-25 mph wind days. I'm not going to bother going if it is lighter than that. Ideally I would like a used board but may be able to convince myself to buy new if it makes more sense.

So based on this what would you recommend?

I sail a 122 Firemove with a 7.5 Lion or Zephyr and I weigh 215. I am thinking that if you can find one of the new freemove boards at 125 to 130 lts, you will have fun planing a good bit and even lower your planing threshold to slightly under 15 mph wind speed. A 130 Gecko would be good, for example, and would be controllable up to 25.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ady,

I am not Iso, but I do spend a fair amount of time at Windance, and they
really try to make their descriptions fair. B rating at Windance is going
to be a serviceable board in good shape with some minor repairs, at the appropriayte weight. It'll have some scratches.
But, you should read their description of what their ratings mean, they are
very close. You can also get somebody there to describe it to you
(maybe even with a video). Those Kodes are B rated mostly because
of the installed nose protectors, which are well done, but do reduce
the value of the board (to most people).

I love that Kode model, it's sweet for light wind waves, or light to
medium Gorge wind.

-Craig

adywind wrote:
Hey Isobars, since you mentioned Windance, do you have any idea how good or bad the condition of their B rated boards is? I may pull the trigger on one of those 86 Kodes some time next year. I started to mistrust those ratings after Big Winds sold me A+ rated board with cracks on the nose patched with clear tape Confused
Thberget

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I am thinking about picking up a windsup for the lighter days and to help rebuild some skills.

Keep em coming!
adywind

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Craig, much appreciated !
Thberget I'm ~170 LB and I also sail in what's usually described as bay conditions . I currently have a 9' WindSUP ; 110 Freemove and a 92 FSW boards. I mostly use the 110 /we don't get a lot over 20 mph here/ , started using more the 92 this season and almost stoped using the Windsup. Those big heavy boards are very personal thing-some like them for life, some like me get bored after a season or two. You also can't really practice short board moves on them and you can actually develop bad habits because they don't promote active sailing. If you have a family with kids who like sailing a Windsup can be a great beach toy espatially if it's inflatable,-unlike any short board. I couldn't get my own family to like it though Sad
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Richmond for 10 yrs and kept an eye on the marine forcast all the time. I saw a lot of winds below 10knts and 15-25knts was pretty rare. Maybe plan your purchases around trips to the OBX .

I've found that a good Longboard(Equipe II) and a 100-120ltr Freeride paired with a 6M and 7.5M can get a fair bit of fun on the water.

If just one board maybe something like Tabou Rocket 125/135.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:

I've bought and sold many used boards at Windance (and 2nd Wind, and Big Winds, but we're talking about Windance here). I regularly monitor their selection online and in their store, and have been favorably impressed with the correlation between their grading system Craig alluded to (keep clicking and you'll find it), the grades they assign, and my own hands-on verification. Perfect? No. Darned close? Absolutely. I also have faith in them (and Big Winds and 2nd Wind) that if any board I bought sight unseen was clearly graded inaccurately, they'd correct the mistake. If simply talking to someone at Windance via phone as s/he inspects the board leaves doubts, Windance will carry a hand-held live video camera and run it over a board while talking to you so you can inspect it closely.

If my research implied it was highly likely to fit my preferences, I’d just phone them, have them examine the eight Kodes in stock and pick the best one, see if their shipping is still as cheap as it was just a couple of years ago, give ‘em my credit card number, and watch for the truck. Your selection will be smaller next summer and their prices may not be any lower.

My biggest complaint about Windance is that they've stopped carrying the boards I strongly prefer: the traditional shapes that preceded the short/wide trend.

It pains me to see great boards languish unsold despite absurdly low price tags at consignment shops, swap meets, the CGWA truck, bulletin boards, etc. I often tell people fondling such boards what a great deal they're looking at, and sometimes they follow my lead. I've gotten some great feedback from strangers and casual acquaintances who did, and I remain dismayed when some boards that sail like $2,000 don't even sell at $100 (even if unused) just because they're several years old. At some point I may rescue such boards despite needing them like another hole in the head. One such example is the carbon Tiga Wave I bought at the last swap meet simply because WSMag said it was the best wave board Tiga had ever produced (its predecessors included the biggest-selling boards on the planet), it was showroom flawless, and it was $50. One round trip across the River left zero doubt that it absolutely sails rings around the many wannabe, similar-purpose, but lesser boards I've ridden that cost over $2,000.

Why did I ramble on after simply answering your question (besides the obvious)? Because of the joy, knowledge, and skills that trying out so many boards with so little financial risk and so little hassle (compared to demoing new boards) has brought me.

How does that help you, maybe thousands of miles away? For probably <$700 to your door, you get to try out a board your research says is what you want. If you like it you can sail it into the ground; if it doesn’t match your preferences you can sell it to someone whose preferences it DOES match with a clear conscience and with very little loss or maybe even a small profit. Try THAT with a new board!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: