myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looping before the big 4.0 - crap only 6 days
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude.

You don't need anything but a pep talk.

STOP farting around, making excuses, and looking for the perfect conditions. The little chunky chop on the inside at Cabarete is PERFECT. You are in the PERFECT place. You are in the PERFECT time. You KNOW what to do.

TODAY: Chug Coffee. Do 20 jumping jacks. 10 push ups. Punch the air a few times. Take a deep breath. Exhale and focus. Get in the water.

NO FREAKING EXCUSES ANYMORE!!!!! Just GO for it on the very first little piece of $*@$ chop you see. You do NOT need a ton of power, you do NOT need to be going fast, you do NOT need a huge ramp, you do NOT need to go big.

What you DO need to DO is get over it already!! Get hyped up!! Just freaking DO IT already!! What the hell Man I'm getting PISSED!

GO! NOW. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

http://wind-nc.com
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlbKn8_p3vk

There is no tomorrow!!!! Evil or Very Mad

UncleRandy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, Manuel go go go
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curiously enough I got a lightwind session which was too light to jump but strong enough to fill the sail and mimic the loop set-off.

And this is what came out of it:

adywind

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice practice! You've got it all: determination; commitment; persistence and high spirit! I'd think you would have nailed it if the wind was cooperating. Next time, keep it up!
Meanwhile I've found a good instructional video for you in case you haven't watched it:
http://vimeo.com/m/74415879
Sam Ross makes it look so easy -no need for waves or hurricane strength winds-I'm hooked. I'm going to buy a good 80/90 /can't decide/L jumper /Kode comes to mind/ and I'm going to try it next season for sure!
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
Nice practice! You've got it all: determination; commitment; persistence and high spirit! I'd think you would have nailed it if the wind was cooperating. Next time, keep it up!
Meanwhile I've found a good instructional video for you in case you haven't watched it:
http://vimeo.com/m/74415879
Sam Ross makes it look so easy -no need for waves or hurricane strength winds-I'm hooked. I'm going to buy a good 80/90 /can't decide/L jumper /Kode comes to mind/ and I'm going to try it next season for sure!

I love the intro on this video. There's some technique to throw the sail up and forward as the board is pushed out of the water to jump, my brain cannot seem to want to do both. The couple of loops I tried I threw my sail forward but forgot to jump, when planing, it didn't feel so good. This is why for me these exercises felt great because I can focus on one thing at a time and get a feel for it.

Also, I believe it's important at some point to do them with some good wind because it makes it easier to understand how full the sail is according to the sheeting angle. I have gone too far downwind to be left with not enough rotation. Same with sheeting out, you can see myself sheeting out before jumping to really get it filled. All of these things make me more comfortable now with trying it for real!

Anyway, I don't think I would have found the dedication to do all this without all of your support. There were times where I thought I had enough yesterday but kept on going and this is when I realized I was leaning too far back and not letting the sail fill in fully.

Today looks really good, this could be it! I have four days left... here we go!
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There it is, total freeze today:

Yet, I thought of all the comments, that there was no tomorrow, I got pissed and all but couldn't let go.
It's weird because I got the catapult really down with lots of g's going but when I jump, I get stuck.

On one hand, I feel like I've made good progress, on another, not being able to try at least one (was yesterday's goal) feels like I'm light years away.

Maybe I can head a bit more downwind like I do during the exercises so I feel like the way down is clear!?
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax, there are lots of tomorrows! Having FUN is what's matters, the rest is just a bonus Very Happy
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
Relax, there are lots of tomorrows! Having FUN is what's matters, the rest is just a bonus Very Happy

I will try to relax and make it not so bad when
I'm failing. It's coming down to pulling the trigger now. I've never been so close. Being relaxed will give me better pop than if I get tensed up. Also I need to realize that I can still try the move even if my hands are not so far back. "Waiting" for the right wave, the right angle, the right hands position, the right day, isn't gonna happen. I'll make it right by doing it!
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Laughing Yeah, the problem with the "No Tomorrow" pep talk is when the person doesn't actually go ahead and do it... And then they just get mad at themselves. Which is not the purpose, nor is it conducive to learning...

There are generally two situations where you will probably go ahead and throw your first loop:

1) Very first reach on the first piece of chop you see, directly after the "There's No Tomorrow" pep talk and coffee/pushups warm up. Remember, if it doesn't go as planned, you can always sail back to the beach and start the whole process over again. Hit the reset button and start the pep talk from scratch, rather than continuing to sail and getting mad at your self.

2) On a nice sunny day when everything feels good, you're in a great mood, the rig and your body feels light, and everything is going your way... You may just have a "Ummmm... Screw It!" moment and chuck one out of pure joy.

Either way, you really just need to get the first explosion out of the way, and then you'll realize how it really isn't a big deal... so you'll try again... at which point you'll actually start learning how to loop. So just go ahead and get the first one out of the way!! You'll land on your back and come up laughing with elation!

If you want to keep practicing the non-jump loops, I would highly recommend doing them sub-planing and in the footstraps so that you can feel how the board steers around with the sail's input. It's a much more realistic version of what happens in the air, and less violent than jumping around without the board.

Hope that helps! How many days are left?? Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 2 of 25

Jump to: