myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New sails to try this year.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had conversations with several sail designers. some may say. "my base of customers are_____ and they are biased against sail sizes, types, etc....

some designers use the simplest features because they realize that if one engineers in too many choices, some consumers will choose the worst possible set of combinations having no basis of experience.

i tested several brands over the course of a decade or so. some would send skinnies, others SDM's, some a mix. to top it all off, i'd use some of my own masts to add to my basis of techy knowledge. again, the scientific method. why do something beyond what a designer does? quite often those very designers are pandering to fashionistas. i don't want my windsurfing experience diminished by subjective stuff that works best only in the strongest wind venues.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Xxwindsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbonne,

I note your post from Jan 22 where you make a comment about being overpowered on the Kona 9.0

That is my main concern in buying a weight appropriate Kona rig. (8.2)
How much wind does it take to leave you feeling overpowered? Do wind gusts make a big difference with that sail? ( I assume that you are not overly experienced based on your prior posts.)
I also note your searching for alternate sails for recreational sailing. Does that reflect a preference for a different type of sail or are you just having fun experimenting?
Thanks
Darbonne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xxw, Yes, I am experimenting with different freeride sails. If the gusts start to get in the twenties (MPH) I switch to an 8.0 freeride sail. The conditions at Lake D'arbonne are usually gusty. It is not uncommon for the prevailing wind to be 10-15 with gusts in the mid twenties. I feel pretty good with the Kona sail in the 10 -15 MPH range, and it is excellent in the 5-10 MPH range. I am starting my 4th season and am totally self taught. I am struggling with higher wind sailing, but I am looking to make progress this year thanks to a real learning experience at the Kona Worlds last November. I want to learn to sail the Kona sail because I plan to attend more regattas in the future. I hear a lot of talk of how difficult the Kona sail is in high wind, but I saw 70 + sailors handle it with no problem at the worlds. Going to keep practicing. You should consider attending a Kona regatta. Very fun.
Xxwindsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

It seems to be a recurrent recommendation. Use weight appropriate Kona sail for general sailing and a smaller regular freeride sail for heavy winds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: