myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
light wind rigging quandary
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if I understand correctly, your modified sail 'pulls like hell" but you still
don't plane up (I think you attributed this to the chop and "nose diving").

I'm guessing that your mods were to allow you to plane up earlier. Your
modified sail sounds a lot like my old Gaastras circa 1988. Huge warp
near the mast, wind range of about 3 MPH, pulls like hell (I might call that
drag).

The fact that the rig pulls like hell, and is nose diving in chop means
something. Several possibilities, maybe your board is too flat, and
you should modify it for considerably more nose rocker. More likely though
is the unbalanced nature of the rig. with so much warp towards the mast,
I might try the mast all the way back in the mast track. This might pull the
new COE more over the fin, and unwet the board for less nose dives, maybe.
But that may reduce your early planning depending on where the flat in your
board is.

Still wishing you the best of luck in the outcome you desire.

-Craig

ittiandro wrote:

And here I am with my report( partial) on the experimentation I did on my Sailworks 5.6 Race sail ( a photo thereof has been posted earlier on this thread.)
I did my first outing yesterday.
As planned, I have modified the sail by removing the cams and cutting the central battens to about ¾ of the original length, i.e. 1 ft from the mast, in order to facilitate the rotation and keep the leech tighter. Yesterday the winds were aboput 12-13 knts. Before these modifications I could never ever use this sail in such light winds. Too small.
I was in for a surprise: without a harness ( I never used one in such light winds, even with an 8.5) this time the sail came back to life and started pulling like hell ( and being hard on my arms and back end).
I have also modified my Gaastra Pilot 6.5 along the same lines. I didn't try it out yet, but I am pretty sure, based on how the 5.6 responded, that I would have been overpowered. Actually, with the modified 5.6 I had a few exhilarating stretches at near planing speed, but I couldn't plane only because the water was a bit choppy and I was slowed down by continuous nose-diving.
Pretty amazing, if I consider that previously not even an 8.5 could get me moving in such light winds…
The only virtual problem is that, even a maximum outhaul is insufficient to depower the sail for stronger winds, because the shortening of the battens leaves a deep pocket in the front, which is impossible to take away..
The only down-side is that the sail is rather unsightly, because the shortened battens leave a vertical crease of loose fabric from top to bottom. But as long as the sail works better, who cares?
It will be recalled how much opposition I got in this forum by those who said I cannot improve the performance of the sail by altering its supposedly carefully thought out design…Somebody even called me ..Frankensail.
I'll keep you posted of any further developments.

Ittiandro
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ittiandro,

It's good that you're being reflective and critical in your experiment. Any structural change in the sail's foil shape after your modification will have its consequences.

I've owned some sails in years past that were very convertible in nature with different batten options, including a 3/4 length batten above the boom. However, it's important to point out that the sail was designed to handle the stresses, particularly in the front end shape along the luff. In essence, the foil shape has to be structurally tethered using the right materials so that it doesn't over distort or wear too quickly over time.

I'm curious, did you shape the battens by thinning out them towards the tips? That would potentially allow for the creation of a softer foil shape and transition at the batten ends. Also, how did you fashion stops in the body of the sail for the shorter battens, and where exactly are they placed?

Some photos would be great.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leech lines were explained by the lofts decades ago as a means of compensating for long-term sail stretch. Is stretch still a problem this century? And does it matter in subplaning (i.e., slogging) mode, which covers everything from 1 mph winds up to planing regardless of the wind speed? After all, it's not the wind speed that delineates subplaning from planing; it's whether the hull is planing or not planing (i.e., displacement mode, aka slogging) at the moment.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
ittiandro,

I'm curious, did you shape the battens by thinning out them towards the tips? That would potentially allow for the creation of a softer foil shape and transition at the batten ends. Also, how did you fashion stops in the body of the sail for the shorter battens, and where exactly are they placed?

Some photos would be great.

I didn't have to taper the battens because the ones I have begin with a cylindrical and thicker section at the leech end and end with a softer, flat section towards the luff. This, from what I read, seems to be in accordance with the physics of the foil: the stiffer battens in the back of the sail facilitate the transfer of the draft forward, where the thinner battens allow the sail to take a fuller shape. By cutting the battens 3/4 of the way down towards the mast, I thought I'd get an even fuller and deeper shape, hence more forward draft. The drastic change of performance of the sail after this modification and the gain in power seem to vindicate my reasoning.
In order to prevent the shortened battens to move about inside the pocket
I simply inserted a round head fastener ( Staples) at the batten end by piercing a small hole in the pocket. Length-wise, I think that the central battens end about one ft away from the mast. This greatly improves the rotation of the sail, while allowing me to give less d/h for a tighter leech to gain power in light winds. I will further experiment by lengthening the battens to about 6" from the mast, instead of 1 ft. I'll keep you posted.

Ittiandro
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rig that is over-sheeted (stalled) feels like it is pulling like crazy, but goes nowhere. This is a big problem for folks sailing in light winds, even into advanced levels. The idea of sheeting out a little, resulting in less 'pull' sensation, resulting in more speed is strange to get used to. If the rig is stalled, the board may do all kinds of crazy things.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cgoudie1"]So, if I understand correctly, your modified sail 'pulls like hell" but you still
don't plane up (I think you attributed this to the chop and "nose diving").

I'm guessing that your mods were to allow you to plane up earlier. Your
modified sail sounds a lot like my old Gaastras circa 1988. Huge warp
near the mast, wind range of about 3 MPH, pulls like hell (I might call that
drag).

Thanks for your input
No, actually I was not aiming as high as planing, but at something more down to earth ( or to water!) : simply MOVING ! It may sound strange that this problem should beset a sailor like me who, while far from perfection, has quite a few years of experience, after all..And even more strange is the fact that I never had this problem with the older longboards and the nice, small sails designed to power them.

I think that my “ regression”, if I can call it this way, from movement to..rest, is due to the constraints of modern equipment designed for planing, which requires lively winds( mostly unavailable in this area) and relatively larger sails than for longboarding. Also, flat-bottomed hulls don’t bite in the water as much as the older V-shaped ( displacement hulls) and therefore may cause loss of power by way or a lateral drifting vectorial component...
People can say what they want, but unless one is a featherweight, he/she will never be able to plane in 12 knts winds….I weigh 85 kgs and if I want to move, let alone plane, in this wind range, even the charts tell me that I have to start looking at a 9 or a 9.5 M2 sail. The largest sail I have is an 8.5. It gets me nowhere. This is why I decided to modify some of my existing “ planing” sails, undoing their planing bias, with the hope to inject more power in them……
The first one I did, as I reported elsewhere in this thread, is a 5.6 Sailworks Race and it vindicates my reasoning: it has come back to life after shortening the central battens to about a foot from the mast. I was able to sail on it in about 12 knts ! Never happened before ! For sure, I didn’t reach planing, but I hope I’ll be able to get to it by doing the same with the larger Ezzy 7.5 and maybe with the Severne Focus 8.5 . I have nothing to lose, because, as they are, these sails are of no use to me .
I believe that the swath of loose fabric along the luff created after shortening the battens is what gives the additional power to the sail, by creating a deeper shape in the front… Perhaps there will be other problems cropping up, but going from..rest to motion and getting more power and speed from and hitherto dead sail is already a big step .
As to your diagnosis of the reasons why I couldn’t plane, in spite of the strong pull, I agree with you : the mast was probably not enough back or the rig might be unbalanced after the mods, although I don’t quite understand in what sense it may be unbalanced..

Ittiandro
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ittiandro wrote:
I weigh 85 kgs and if I want to move, let alone plane, in this wind range [12 kts], even the charts tell me that I have to start looking at a 9 or a 9.5 M2 sail. The largest sail I have is an 8.5. It gets me nowhere.

That tells us the problem is technique, not gear nuances. Thousands of sailors cruise all over hellenback with 6 meter sails on their longboards, windSUPs, and them there Prodigy/Start/Go thingies.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a clip of some gentlemen playing in light winds with 6.x sails
one of the boards IS a BIC 293 and the other a Mistral Malibu
at about 2:30 the fellow is practically planing
and so, it is do-able to go on such a board with such small sails in light winds and have fun
hope the sail experiments work out !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NUDFFrzbmQ

About 12 knots is my wind minimum and here is my clip with a Mistral Equipe and TR-6 8.4 in 20 to 30 kph winds, which i call 12+ knots
however, the difference between 20 and 30 is significant !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOPP5pa4TAc
and my technique sucks Smile
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ittiandro said:
Quote:
As to your diagnosis of the reasons why I couldn’t plane, in spite of the strong pull, I agree with you : the mast was probably not enough back or the rig might be unbalanced after the mods, although I don’t quite understand in what sense it may be unbalanced..

I think your "strong pull" has little to do with the sail, but what is happening with the board as it progresses from flat on the water and gliding and then the transition to planing. The tail sinks, the nose rises and the drag/resistance from the water is the greatest just before overcoming the planing threshold. At this point, you will feel a lot more pull on the sail because there is a lot more drag on the board. This is usually where one pumps like crazy to overcome the drag and get on plane.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
ittiandro wrote:
I weigh 85 kgs and if I want to move, let alone plane, in this wind range [12 kts], even the charts tell me that I have to start looking at a 9 or a 9.5 M2 sail. The largest sail I have is an 8.5. It gets me nowhere.

That tells us the problem is technique, not gear nuances. Thousands of sailors cruise all over hellenback with 6 meter sails on their longboards, windSUPs, and them there Prodigy/Start/Go thingies.

I guess you are right. Technique may certainly improve one’s performance, but however imperfect technique may be in my case, I don’t think that it alone can make the difference between moving and not moving ( or almost) in light winds, especially when I was perfectly able to sail with the longboards in the past and I have been windsurfing for years.

You say that there are hundreds of sailors happily planing in 12 knts winds with puny 6 m2 sails. This is a bit of a hype, which is not certainly borne out by the James Douglass chart http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.ca/2010/11/updated-windsurf-calculator-online.html : even for a small 60 kg sailor, according to the chart, a 7 m2 sail would be required in 12 knts winds. For an 85 kg sailor like me, the required sail size goes drastically up to almost 10 m2 and the largest I have is an 8.5! This is likely to be the nail in the coffin for me, more than my imperfect technique, which, mind you, I don’t deny.
The Douglass chart has been updated in 2010 and I do not think that technology has evolved in five years to the point that a 85 kg sailor can now use a 6 m2 sail for the same 12 knts wind range which would have previously required a 10 m2 sail!
Such a gain is perhaps possible with superlight carbon masts, booms and boards, but they are expensive and not within the reach of the average windsurfer.
In a few days I’ll try out my 6.5 antediluvian N.P. Vitesse sail I bought on line for a song..This sail was being used on longboards in the late nineties early 2000’s.. I do not expect to plane on it, but if it can sub-plane as I was used to with my old longboard, it will be a big step forward. I’ll post the results.

Ittiandro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: