myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where is the best DTL wave sailing on the east coast?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
I find it quite amusing to see Andy post about "decent wind quality" in side-off conditions at Hatteras. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I have images of Andy slogging out to the waves in rather variable winds; probably the result of watching too many of his videos Smile. But I take it that compared to other spots, the side-off wind in Hatteras is not too bad.

Boardsurfr- wave sailing isn't always about planing, especially in side off conditions. The more ridiculously underpowered you are, the more of a chess game of positioning the experience becomes, and the more helpful big boards become. Side shore to side on, planing power becomes more important to most people. I would urge you to set a two or three hour window aside to join some other folks on the ocean side during your next trip- you never know what you're missing until you get out there for yourself Very Happy

http://wind-nc.com
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed with andy about the rewards.

how we go about meeting the challenges differ. a planing long board is my solution. since there are so few planing vs surf SUP's, i doubt many can truly relate to my experience. i've done the slog then drop in with short boards of various sizes for years prior to using my 11'5" carbon board. one cannot get as many rides in a given time period with a short board unless the wind is ideal.

most important, getting the wave rides.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind-NC-Hatteras wrote:
I would urge you to set a two or three hour window aside to join some other folks on the ocean side during your next trip- you never know what you're missing until you get out there for yourself Very Happy

Andy, we usually sail ocean side a day or two when we're down there. It's fun, but I doubt I'll ever develop the same level of enthusiasm I see in others.
btbill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
Wind-NC-Hatteras wrote:
I would urge you to set a two or three hour window aside to join some other folks on the ocean side during your next trip- you never know what you're missing until you get out there for yourself Very Happy

Andy, we usually sail ocean side a day or two when we're down there. It's fun, but I doubt I'll ever develop the same level of enthusiasm I see in others.

Not sure who you are sailing with, but key as a visitor is to hook up with the local OBX crew/shop sailors and where they make the call to go on any given day. This place is quite unique for wavesailing as the islands orient to allow for side-off in nearly any wind direction. As Andy noted, and literally all side-off wavesailors agree, planing inside is usually only icing on the cake (a rarity) even in places such as Maui. What you do not see in the videos are the guys heading out off the beach at Hookipa on those big wave days usually knee deep slogging out though the whitewater on their small boards/sails. There are puffs/sailor experience which can help boost here or there, to plane and/or catch some air on the way out, but mostly the thrill is all about the 4 - 5 turn DTL wave ride that gets the juices flowing (perhaps a little wave aerial to dry the fin).

But hey, if you do not want to slog out with straps underwater, simply take a wavesailing SUP/Sealion style board out.

Enthusiasm for sailing on the oceanside, especially on the OBX comes from going out in the best the place has to offer. A NE day across from Canadian Hole is not ideal (current, shorepound, whitewater, inconsistent surf, etc...), and even SW day if the sand bar is not working there (flat/minimal/beachbreak only), is not ideal. However, if the local/shop reports are noting the outer sandbar working a mile north at Askins Creek ramp (just south of Avon village proper), then that is the place to go (was the hot spot last year)!

All in all though, if you are looking for enthusiasm and the best conditions/scenario for getting out in the surf on the OBX, highly recommend planning a return trip to the OBX for the AWT Wave Jam 2015 in mid-Sept. Everyone who is here for that event is here for wavesailing only, and its the best opportunity on the US east coast to experience it.

If u cannot make it there, be here in May/June!
rollerrider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm concerned when the wind is good wave riding is better and easier for me. If there is not enough to water start it becomes too much work, but I do I enjoy light wind sup wave sailing. Also a good venue would have access to various wind directions. I'm getting a little older and want to make the best out of my sessions. So when Wind NC says Hatteras is a "pretty freaking awesome place" I hope you are right cause our offer on a house in Hatteras was just accepted!
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! If the wind is blowing, you can always find a place to sail within an easy drive regardless of the wind direction. Waves, flat water blasting, bump and jump, shallow, deep, you can find them all. Plus Corolla beaches to the South, Nags Head launches to the North........you'll have plenty to discover. If there is a Mrs. Rollerrider, don't forget her while you are finding it all! I find that a visit to 1587 in Manteo can help restore credit if the wind has been blowing for several days straight!
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollerrider wrote:
As far as I'm concerned when the wind is good wave riding is better and easier for me. If there is not enough to water start it becomes too much work, but I do I enjoy light wind sup wave sailing. Also a good venue would have access to various wind directions. I'm getting a little older and want to make the best out of my sessions. So when Wind NC says Hatteras is a "pretty freaking awesome place" I hope you are right cause our offer on a house in Hatteras was just accepted!

Hey, wow! Congrats!! Looking forward to seeing you soon! Regarding different directions and conditions, if you don't mind driving 20-30 minutes, you can pretty much find anything you want on any given day of the year. There's a Hatteras Windsurfing Guide on our website- feel free to check it out and hit me up if you have any questions!

If you don't mind me asking, what town did you end up buying in? Congrats again!

rollerrider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avon! Closing in about a month.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollerrider wrote:
Avon! Closing in about a month.

Awesome! Right smack dab in the middle of the action. Most of the sailing will be 5 - 10 minutes drive. Southside will be about a 15 - 20 minute drive. Perfect!! Congrats!

HatterasFever

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Monday in Avon. Rick took the photos.. rider is Ian from NY .
who saw the forecast, made the drive and scored.

ian-38-may-4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  132.69 KB
 Viewed:  34159 Time(s)

ian-38-may-4.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: