myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Comments on my planing techique?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
konajoe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Del doesn't need to be messing around with the centerboard partially down when trying to improve his planing technique.

I'll give you that different boards perform differently. The ill effects of having the centerboard drop a little while planing on a Kona are pretty well known. The author of the thread on the Kona forum is a well known accomplished Kona racer.

The Kona class, with its different sail sizes for different weights, does a very good job at matching speeds. When one racer blows by another on a planing reach, a partially dropped centerboard is a common culprit.

Some of the things expressed in this forum define superstition. I can gather a weak group of racers and beat them sailing fin first or clew first. That doesn't make fin first or clue first faster. You have to look at the 'pedigree' of the folks you're sailing with before making conclusions. Video of known accomplished Kona racers is a great resource. Advancing from last place to next to last place with inexperienced racers, not so much.

So, Greg, did beating those highly motivated Kona 'pros' encourage you to get a Kona and race at a big Kona event, or are you going to rest on your laurels?
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Joe, that what most who use longboards soon find in semi-planing mode, is that you often need that touch of centreboard down to make a slightly upwind mark, or, if cruising, clear a rocky reef or headland in one go.

Techno made clear that it can make all the difference by decreasing side-slip while having to 'pinch' a little. It needn't affect speed greatly in such circumstances.

Surely, as a longboard expert yourself, you agree that proper use of the centre-board is a crucial aspect of learning to sail a longboard well. That, is what makes longboards so versatile. (And less boring. Wink )
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"But like I said, due to your suggestion... I'll try it again, the nxet time I'm in that situation."

Do let us know how it goes. Regarding your weight, I've always found that big guys even the scales and often excel by carrying a bigger sail. Also, given the fact that you're tall, you have great leverage over the rig that short heavy guys lack. Ultimately, by getting back in those reaching straps more often, I'm sure that your jibes will shine.

Lastly, I envy you having that F2 Lightning. It's a stellar rock solid raceboard design that will give you a strong advantage on the water in a spectrum of wind and water conditions. My first board was an F2 Strato, and I found that it was a fast well rounded design the really excelled in planing conditions. Not quite the thoroughbred that the Lightning was though, but it had good genes.
konajoe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Surely, as a longboard expert yourself)

Expert....yeah......right. Just like everyone else on these forums. Not just windsurfing forums.

I'm just trying to be a reporter, using Kona forum, observations from big Kona events, and Kona racing videos as a resource.

A little centerboard may work in certain circumstances. But, passing some no name sailor in a race on superior equipment isn't proof that it is optimum.

The fastest way from a to b isn't necessarily a straight line. I've 'seen' and 'heard of' fast Kona racers using the all or nothing centerboard approach. So, they would either get up on a full plane with no board, and hope for a windshift. Or, they would cover the fleet by sailing high with full board until they could blast with no board.

Again, let's all agree that Del should practice with no board.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe, I agree I need more practice with the CB all the way up.

Greg, yes, Mr. Gottlieb's first name is Steve, his wife's name is Sandy.

Greg, were you kidding when you talked about holding back during the Kona races in your area this summer? Or were you kidding in your most recent reply to konajoe about holding back?

My on water sessions are nearly over for the calendar year.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No time to chat now. (Except in proof-reading this... I sure did Smile

I organize and run a marathon windsurfing race every fall... on a windy weekend day, usually in Oct.
We sail all the way around Mercer Island, which is in Lk. Washington in the Seattle area.
We will all be on high performance longboards (like Kona's) or FW. It takes about 2 to 5 hours to complete, no gear changes once you leave the beach. We sail about 19 - 26 miles... it's almost all upwind or downwind sailing. And because it's around an island with hills a couple hundred feet high, there are wind shadows to deal with. Plus, we sail under 2 bridges of Interstate 90 (which starts in Seattle and goes to Boston). Where the water goes through, under the bridge, it's like a tunnel. So there are many obstacles in this challenging race Smile
It's tomorrow, Sat.
I just announced it for sure this morning (Fri) due to the forecast. we should have S wind from 10-25 for most the day.
1 or 2 guys always get 1st or 2nd place... and all the rest of us (maybe 10 racers) are fighting for 3rd Smile

Gotta finish getting ready,
Greg
PS - When sailing or racing... I always try my best. However, like I said, I'm polite... and I'm doing this for social reasons... and for fun competition... and to learn more things... and to help newer sailors learn things, so they can join the rest of us.
This summer doing official Kona races... if I was racing to the upwind mark, and I was going to get there at the same time as Bruce Matlack... sometimes I'd slow down (since ya can't pump) and let him go first. MOst times, he clearly got there before me. And only a few times I clearly got there before him.
And that was just going upwind... we had duels going downwind too.
And there was lots of close racing, between tons of people, over the course of 10 days, with races in 2-5 mph wind... and just about every condition up to steady wind in the low 20's.
Anyway, I have a lot of experience at this stuff... but I'm no expert... I learn something new every time I go. But as a US Windsurfing certified instructor, I also try to help people with practical and useful advice which I have found to work for lots of different people. However every one is different... and there are lots of good ways to do things,
It's windsurfing, there doesn't have to be strict rules regarding technique, many things can work in various conditions.
Try all the different things... and see what works for you. And then you'll know how you're doing, when you compare yourself to your peers (or the local hot--shots)... at your favorite sailing site Smile
konajoe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnw44 wrote:
I organize and run a marathon windsurfing race every fall... on a windy weekend day, usually in Oct.
We sail all the way around Mercer Island, which is in Lk. Washington in the Seattle area.
We will all be on high performance longboards (like Kona's) or FW. It takes about 2 to 5 hours to complete, no gear changes once you leave the beach. We sail about 19 - 26 miles... it's almost all upwind or downwind sailing. And because it's around an island with hills a couple hundred feet high, there are wind shadows to deal with. Plus, we sail under 2 bridges of Interstate 90 (which starts in Seattle and goes to Boston). Where the water goes through, under the bridge, it's like a tunnel. So there are many obstacles in this challenging race Smile

If you had 4 or 5 places to stop for a beer along the way, it would be truly epic!

Here's another example of how folks can jump to conclusions and get off track. Let's say a guy participates in a race with Olympic class sailors, and that they're all on their Olympic RS:x gear, and he's on an Equipe II, and the wind is very light. The Equipe II will stomp, no matter how good those Olympic guys are. The guy on the faster gear can really do no wrong. But unless he knows that the RS:x is super slow in light wind, he may conclude that his technique is what did it.

For a little while, there were folks saying that the Kona was faster upwind without the centerboard in 13-15 kts. We're not sure how they came to that conclusion, but when racing with decent Kona sailors, it took about 1/2 of a windward leg in those conditions to prove them wrong.

Some of the longboards being mentioned in this thread are alot more directionally stable than the Kona as a result of their high boxy rails. I guess that would make them alot more stable with a partially down centerboard at speed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: