myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Comments on my planing techique?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On any planing longboard, in winds around 15 mph and a 7-9 m sail, bearing off at 100-110 degrees, intermediate sailors should be able to get planing and in the straps within 25-50 yds, and be at top speed within 75 yds. Getting in the back strap helps you achieve max speed by getting lift from the fin, which also helps planing. No dagger board. Once planing with good speed, it's relatively easy to go upwind, much like any shortboard.

Planing long boards can go pretty darn fast with enough power and the proper technique.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like everyone said, hang from the boom more, commit to the harness more, get in the foot straps, but I think there just isn't enough wind for this in the video, need a bigger sail.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I am really close to getting there. I don't have the problem of the sucking sound. The nose of the board is up. Everything happens so fast, and at speed every move you make on the board is magnified. I just can't feel it yet. I have had my front foot in on occasion, but a drop in the wind causes me to turn upwind. I am going to heed the advice of many on this board and I am planning a trip to Bird Island to take a lesson. Until then going to keep working on it. I will get there.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey - I'm the guy sailing the red sail !!
What I mean is... all the shots of the red sail... in the first couple minutes of the Kona Vid, that is mentioned in the 2nd post of this thread... are me ("thanks Lucas" Smile
That was my 5th day ever, sailing a Kona One. The first 4 days were very light 2-8 mph afternoon sessions.
But this "video day", was the FIRST TIME, that I had it in planning wind (10-20 mph).
So, I am not a KonaOne expert, but I have a lot of longboard experience (and teaching... and some shortboard experience as well).

I wouldn't worry too much about where the nose of the board is. The front of that board has a lot of rocker, which is helpful in different situations, and helps to make it such a versatile board.

Regarding all the great advice that's been given... I'd say the main thing you should emphasize is, to get more weight hanging from the boom.
Sit down in your harness, putting lots of your weight on the boom. And press down on the boom, when you're not hooked in. Just like's been said, you want MORE weight / pressure going down onto the mastbase.

It looks to me, that you have enough wind. And that sail is a nice looking, 90's 7.5 with enough power for you and that wind. It has more power than new sails. It's probably equal to newer 8.5 and 9M sails.
When you increase the MBP (mastbase pressure)... you will go faster... you will sheet in more... the back half of your Kona will be more on top of the water, planning, and a bit more level.
And you will naturally want to be in the footstraps.
I found the Kona One to be a really easy board to sail in 2-20 mph wind... and the straps are easier to get into than most boards (long or short). The red sail is a nice Kona 9M sail. I'm 200 lbs - I needed 12-15 mph wind to ride around in the straps. In 20 mph wind, I was in the straps immediately.

Also, there was a comment made about "rounding up" on a longboard, when coming off a plane. And that's another symptom of too much weight on the feet and not enough weight on the mastbase.

There was a tip to raise your boom. This is another attempt, that gets us to hang from the boom, which increases MBP.
I'm tall, I can't always get my boom where I want it. But I'm not too picky about that. HOWEVER, even if my boom is too low... I will do what I have to, to MAKE SURE I have lots of MBP. For example, sitting down in my seat harness, to transfer WEIGHT through the rig, to the mastbase.

You're doing great. Have fun. And the practicing will continue forever, just like the rest of us.
Greg Smile
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure the distance from the center of your front footstraps to the center of the mast base along the center line of the board. On my 11'8" Exocet I need about 19 1/2" to easily get into the foot straps. I had to go to a single bolt mast base from a two bolt in order to move the mast back another 1 1/2" to get to 19.5" and then it became so much easier to get into the straps. Dunno where it would be on a Kona but your mast could be too far forward.
I have found on the 11'8" for foot straps the mast must be all the way back, forward of this is for sub planing, out of the straps.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
Measure the distance from the center of your front footstraps to the center of the mast base along the center line of the board. On my 11'8" Exocet I need about 19 1/2" to easily get into the foot straps. I had to go to a single bolt mast base from a two bolt in order to move the mast back another 1 1/2" to get to 19.5" and then it became so much easier to get into the straps. Dunno where it would be on a Kona but your mast could be too far forward.
I have found on the 11'8" for foot straps the mast must be all the way back, forward of this is for sub planing, out of the straps.

Another good technical point.
However... don't you think that depends on the sail size you're using?
And if we're being technical... the style-design, of the sail?
And the vintage, of the sail?
Correct me if I'm wrong... but what you're saying is... you want the COE to be in a certain spot, cause that will make it balanced for your weight and your board... and easier to get in the foot-straps?

But cammed sails and non-cammed sails... and race sails and wave sails... and new vs. old sails... and 5.5 vs. 9.5 sails... might all have the COE in a different spot. And if that's the case... you'll find your mastbase in a slightly different place, depending on what sail you're using.
In fact on a raceboard (or even many 90's shortboards) you can adjust the mast-track while you're sailing, even if you're using the same sail... if the wind changes, or you change from going upwind to downwind. So THAT changes where the COE is.
Yet, we all still get in footstraps, no matter what. Just tip the rig forward or rearward, it'll balance good enough. At least, that's what I usually do Smile
Greg -
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's covered in detail here, http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25048&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=footstrap+distance&start=0
Yes race boards have adjustable mast tracks to slide way forward but they also have a series of foot straps going forward for this, beating straps I believe they are called for beating upwind.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The title of this post should be "how do I get into the foot straps".
First you have to measure and make sure they are reachable at Darbonne's skill level.
My next advise is really simple, your board naturally wants to round up and head upwind, mast foot pressure is the only thing keeping this from happening, when moving your feet back and placing them in the straps you must continue to apply the same mast foot pressure so as to trick or fool the board that you aren't going for the straps because the second you let up your board will be onto what you are doing and will start to round upwind.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP (Del) wants comments about his planning technique, and provides a very nice little video of himself, that invites everybody to comment about.
And he's gotten a lot of really helpful comments.

"Getting in the footstraps" is just one of many skills that have been mentioned. And that skill is one of many that could have an affect of his technique. However, "getting in the straps" is not a requirement, for planing. I mean, you can plane all day on a windsurfer, without being in straps.

So anyway, I'm sure the OP titled his thread, the way he wanted.

Changing topics.
Regarding measuring the distance from your mastbase to the middle of your front footstrap. This has very little impact on us recreational sailors. Board designer's know what they're doing, and if they put a mast-track on a board... and foot-strap inserts on a board... then I'm sure that skilled sailors will be able to put the mastbase anywhere, and put the straps anywhere... and will be able to get in the straps.

BB mentions something about getting in the straps easily. Nobody ever said "getting in the straps was easy". At least, I've never been told that. And none of the instructor training courses, that I've passed, ever taught us that. It takes quite a bit of skill development, and training, and time, and speed, and the right wind... sometimes for years... before people can sail in footstraps easily.
I'm talking about "real footstraps" here... not the strap inserts I see on beginner boards, that are right behind the mast-track and next to the centerboard.
Anyway, getting into "real footstraps" is not easy.

And back to distances. There is no one number for the spacing, for everybody, for every type of board, sail, sailing style, skill set, wind condition, tall or short people, etc. There are a million variables.
The link talks about the distance from the mastbase to the center of the front footstrap... and numbers are tossed around from 15" to 26".
But in this video, the distance is 46 1/2" from the center of the U-joint to the center of the rider's front foot (which is in the back reaching strap.
Don't watch the video... it's just a long straight boring ride... I only include it, cause it shows a strap to U-joint spacing that is apparently impossible. Yet, the sailor isn't a pro... he's just a recreational windsurfer.

Anyway, getting in the strap isn't required for planning. And planning technique is what this thread is about.
And getting in the straps isn't easy... and it isn't a one number fits all spec. Which is what the last couple posts have been about.
Greg -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nExSHR9H0Ik
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most folks when learning to get into the foot straps have four major problems.

1. Not going fast enough.
2. Not turning off the wind far enough.
3. Boom too low.
4. Mast track too far forward

The speed needed is not comfortable for novices, but they need to go faster. On a long board, you either need a good amount of wind or a large sail, neither are comfortable for novices.

Most try to get in the straps while on a beam reach, which will cause the board to turn up wind. Point the nose of the board at least 100-110 degrees off the wind - 90 is a beam reach. Turn too far off the wind and you risk getting tossed over the nose.

With a low boom, you will have to be in a squat position to get in the straps. Keep the boom at least neck high. Longer harness lines may be needed if you have been using a low boom set up.

With the mast foot too far forward, the straps are a looong way back and the rig has to lean too far toward the stern (squatting position again). The mast foot should be in the back half of the track, or all the way back if you have good speed/power. Most race boards have the rear strap placement option set for the mast base in the rear of the track (everything back for speed). If there is an option for different strap locations, the forward options are for smaller sailors, or those learning to use the straps with the mast foot in the middle of the track.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16

Jump to: